eeetiger

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
boqueesha

#16 Post by boqueesha »

I had to use my flash drive for something else so I had to erase eeetiger for a few minutes...but quick question...what kernel version is it using? I know the 900 and 70x kernel is different in Xandros for the eee. -thanks

dinky

#17 Post by dinky »

@ boqueesha
Same kernel as both Puppy 3.01 and Puppy 4 at the moment, 2.6.21.7
This kernel doesn't support hyperthreading, or duo core processors, so at some point in the near future I'm planning on moving TigerPup to a newer kernel that supports this... probably when I move to Puppy 4,01.

@mdisaster2
Thanks for the info about ext3, I wasn't aware of that. I'd like to look into it more, and whether or not ext3 still acts like that with pupmode13... would make sense that it didn't... thus defeating the purpose of ext3... although once something is erased from ext3 it's generally gone, this could be an advantage for some people.

eeetiger is made from a bootable cd, and should work fine from an external cd drive for booting, though I haven't tried this. I'd be happy to make something that could load directly onto a usb device, but as I don't know how currently that will take a bit of research. A future project. Found an easier way of installing to a usb, (still using universal installer) is to just extract the iso and specify the directory as the place to install the files from... cutting out a bit of the mess. But you are right, it is stilla bit messy. eeetiger is more of an afterthought of the TigerPup project, though if it grows into it's own project I'll definitely add this feature.

An easier way to set you mousepad... go to TigerPup Menu>Settings>Settings Manager>Mouse you should find everything you need there. Cheers.
~dinky

boqueesha

#18 Post by boqueesha »

blahh a quote from another forum i just found "sound on the 900 requires the 2.6.25.4 kernel currently in testing..." well at least i can stop looking for that answer :)

dinky

#19 Post by dinky »

Hi boqueesha... that's good to know... can you send me a link to that forum? I would love to see it. The 2.6.25.4 kernel is under development for Puppy... there are bugs right now, but that is the kernel for the Puppy 4.01 release. I've been toying with the idea of rebuilding TigerPup from unleashed using that kernel, as it support duo, quad cores, and hyperthreading. Most likely I will wait until Puppy 4.01 comes out, Then move TigerPup, and eeetiger, to that. I you are really desperate you could try rebuilding from unleashed, using that kernel. Good luck, and thanks for letting us know about the sound.
~dinky

theSuperman

#20 Post by theSuperman »

So my SSD died on my EEEpc last Wed. I installed the eeeTiger onto a flash drive, and dont know if Ill go back to Xandros. You did an excellent job putting all the drivers together.

I have had a problem with external monitors though. I cant seem to get them to work. I have edited my Xorg file and such and tried xrandr, but it doesnt seem to want to output to an external device. It seems as if the Fn+F5 key doesnt work. Is there something special done to force the computer to boot to 800x480 and only use the internal screen?

dinky

#21 Post by dinky »

Hi theSuperman, glad you like eeeTiger.

Hmmm, I haven't tried my eeepc yet with an external screen, sounds like there's an issue there. I'll get my laptop back in the next few days (was at Asus for a warranty claim), and then I'll do some testing. Have you tried rebooting, or at the very least restarting X with your laptop plugged into the external monitor? It very well might have something to do with the patch I used, the 915resolution. TigerPup definitely works with external screens, so my guess is this is what's wrong. Once again, I'm not convinced the 915resolution patch is the best option, but haven't figured out how to get TigerPup to support other resolutions. eeetiger is a port of the TigerPup project to the eeepc, costumized specifically for that hardware. Anyway...

Can you try getting rid of the patch line in

Code: Select all

/usr/X11R7/bin/xwin
Scroll down to:

#Puppy Xorg Video Wizard...
and comment out

915resolution 43 800 480 16 # 43 is for 16-bit, 38 is for 8-bit
(i.e., put a # in front of it)

Save the file, and log out of xfce. When you're at the command line, type

xorgwizard

and select the screen res of your output device. Then plug in your monitor, and type

xwin
to restart X. You may even need to reboot. Your screen resolution will now be royally stuffed up on your eeepc, and you will need to comment that line again to restore it, again running the xorgwizard and choosing "800x480" to resotre it again. However, this just might allow you to use an external device. If this works, then at least we know it's the patch. I'll then try and find a proper way to fix it. Cheers.
~dinky

theSuperman

#22 Post by theSuperman »

Yeah commenting that out just made my resolution on my internal screen get stretched out, and my external was still at the huge resolution. Even selecting 1440x900 did nothing in xorgwizard...Its like my xorg.conf settings arent even being read!

dinky

Asus in Austraila

#23 Post by dinky »

Hi folks, just had my eeepc sent back to Asus here in Australia for a warranty claim. There was a small crack on the left hinge that was getting worse. Asus asked me to send the pictures of it, which I did, then they organized the rest. I am really impressed with their customer service.

I called Thursday, and they organized a courier to pick it up the following day (would have been Thursday, but I was busy). Was fixed and returned to me by courier one week later on Friday. Woul dhave been Thursday but I was out....

Not bad for a $380 laptop from ebay... Cheers Asus!
~dinky

dinky

#24 Post by dinky »

@thesuperman
Ok, just did some testing with my eeepc and an external screen. It's workable, but far from perfect. You're right, the hardware key (fn+F5) doesn't work, which isn't surprising. Also plugging in the laptop to an external screen won't work after it's booted, though it will work fine if you plug the eeepc into the external screen first, then boot it.

There are definite issues. The main one is that the screen resolution will be wrong... set to the eeepc's. You can change this by commenting out the 915 resolution line I posted above, then rebooting with the monitor plugged in. Puppy wil detect the monitor, and you will find the xorgwizard starting up. However, even though you can select the correct resolution for your external monitor, (thus stuffing up the eeepc's display), puppy still thinks it's running on the eeepc... VERY big icons on the screen, etc. Puppy thinks everything needs to be very big. Will work for watching videos, etc, but still very annoying. Also, to get the eeepc's resolution back to normal, you have to edit the xwin file again and recomment the 915resolution line. A workaround, but not a great one.

I'll look into it, and see what else I can sort out. Also, you said your internal SSD died? That really interests me. What systems were you running on it, and how long had you had it for? I'm hoping to integrate eeetiger only saving to the ssd once every 30 minutes on an internal install... currently this works but with a workaround. I've also got a hunch that the eeepc's aren't built to be used for more than a few years. Cheers!
~dinky

DaveC

startup sound

#25 Post by DaveC »

Great job on the remaster, I have it on my 2g right now. I had a question though, can I disable the startup sound? I found the sound files but assume that editing a startup script will be better than deleting or editing the files. Sorry if this is something simple, I'm kinda new to puppy.

Again, great job.

dinky

#26 Post by dinky »

Hi DaveC, glad you like it! It is something simple, but it took me ages to find it myself when I was making TigerPup...

Open /root/.xinitrc

mousepad /root/.xinitrc
Around line 110, towards the bottom, you'll find this line

(sleep 3s && aplay /usr/share/audio/Tiger2.wav) &
Comment it out by adding

#
in front of it. Save the file, and you're done. How does eeetiger run on the 2g? Are there many differences between that and the 4g 701? Cheers!
~dinky

DaveC

Thanks

#27 Post by DaveC »

Thanks for the info.

So far eeetiger runs surprisingly fast on my little 2g. The 2g only has 512 MB of RAM which is not expandable and the processor is underclocked to 571 MHz so it's not as fast as the 4g :(, but it still handles the compiz animations fairly well. I also did the fix for pupmode 13 that you posted which appears to be working well.

dinky

#28 Post by dinky »

The processor may not be underclocked, that happens with the default Xandros software. Open Menu>System?System Profiler and Benchmark. It should tell you what you're actually running at.
~dinky

DaveC

2g CPU

#29 Post by DaveC »

It says 571.42 MHz. What I understand from the eeeuser forums is that it is underclocked at the hardware level, supposedly to prolong battery live in the surf. There were a few guys on those forums that were talking about how to remove the cap, but I don't think a solution has been found.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#30 Post by Lobster »

It was underclocked for a reason
http://www.eeeguides.com/2007/12/overcl ... ndows.html

Clue: Stable working computer better than overclocked junk :lol:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

dinky

#31 Post by dinky »

Hmmm. Interesting. Perhap the 2g is clocked at the hardware level? How does this work with the eeepc 4g 701 then? When I check hardinfo, it says that my processor is 900 Mhz... that would suggest to me that on the 701 at least, the underclocking is done at a software level through Xandros... not with everything, but noticed that eeetiger runs considerably quicker than the default Xandros setup. Also, as Asus are advertising the eeepc 900 at 1.2 Ghz, I would assume they haven't underclocked that model at all...

Any thoughts on this? Also, did you get your wireless working Lobster? It is odd to me you were having so much trouble, as my eeepc wors flawlessly with eeetiger for wireless... what is your current setup, perhaps I can help you fix it.
~dinky

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#32 Post by Lobster »

dinky wrote:Also, did you get your wireless working Lobster? It is odd to me you were having so much trouble, as my eeepc works flawlessly with eeetiger for wireless... what is your current setup, perhaps I can help you fix it.
~dinky
No still not working. It works with Xandros so I use that.
I am using 4G version, WPA2, shared router . . .
The router is a Netgear.
The network is found but 'not available' from the wifi wizard
(think that is the message)
I tried running the wifi wizard several times
but made no difference . . .

:cry:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

dinky

#33 Post by dinky »

Try deleting any profiles you currently have under the network wizard, then run it again. I'll try with wpa2 when I get a chance. Noticed the other day that if you have profiles which don't work, sometimes goes screwy. Probably worth while restarting the program after you delete profiles. Definitely wors fine with wep.
~dinky

mchasard

#34 Post by mchasard »

i discover this eeetiger version , i like it but i encounterd troubles using it ...
first i use it under a usblive (not instal) and have a pupsave file on this key about 512Mo like its specify ...every time i would like to install other soft or update already soft installed , eeepc block just after launching install...i tried with opera 9.51 and also with firefox 3.1 ...so i don't believe its due to not enough space ...
i know that eeetiger is a new project for eeepc but i hope it will be another version without those troubles ...

thanls in advance ...if somebodies could confirm same troubles ..;

mchasard

#35 Post by mchasard »

i discover this eeetiger version , i like it but i encounterd troubles using it ...
first i use it under a usblive (not instal) and have a pupsave file on this key about 512Mo like its specify ...every time i would like to install other soft or update already soft installed , eeepc block just after launching install...i tried with opera 9.51 and also with firefox 3.1 ...so i don't believe its due to not enough space ...
i know that eeetiger is a new project for eeepc but i hope it will be another version without those troubles ...

thanls in advance ...if somebodies could confirm same troubles ..;