pBiblx

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
1pritts2u

pBiblx

#1 Post by 1pritts2u »

pBiblx, formerly known as pBible is a Bible Study aid, much like a dashboard connecting the user to several key integrated on line and offline study aids, resource links, news and radio sites. It is the centerpiece of a Christian puplet called ShepherdPup.

Offline Public Domain Bibles: ASV, BBE, DBY, DRB, ESC, KJV, SEPT, VAL, VUL, WBS, WEB, YLT, ALB, BAHASA, BARU, CEB, DAN, DUTCH, FIN, FRE, GAE, GRKM, LAMA, LUT (more to come).

Offline Public Domain Commentary/Reference: NAVES, MHCC, RWP, Strongs Greek, Strongs Hebrew

Integrated Online Bible Resources (via biblos.com): AKJ, ASV,BBE, DBY, DRB, ERV, GWT, HEB, KJV, LBLA, NASB, PNT, TNT, VUL, WBS, WEB, WEY, YLT, GSB, JFB, KJT, MHC, MHCW, SCO, TSK, WES

While the output from pBiblx can be sent to any text editor or text pager (less,more,most) or text/html display program, pBless was written as a default text pager to enhance the study integration concepts strived for throughout pBiblx. Not only is it a single or parallel text viewer but, it provides immediate upfront access to mutiple offline and online texts, Strong's word number search and internet dictionary word search. From the menu it also offers the default text editor, Strong's verse dialog, personal verse note taking, and output to the user scriptable plugin system. Text can be examined verse by verse or as a whole.

The plugin system opens the door to a world of possiblities. Already included are scripts for OperaShow presentation, for HTML generation, for PDF Generation. Also invisioned are scripts for JPEG slides, print brochures, Didiwiki notes, etc..

pBless packs a lot of punch for such a tiny scripted pager. Many of the personal resources that I've included work very well such as the bible storylines file. You could compose your own resources as well!

pBiblx and pBless are bash and GTKDialog scripted, easily modified, reliant on common GNU text utilities and wget/curl. Offline bibles are gzip'd flat text files and installed/removed via petget.

You may download the current pBiblx pet and resources at:

http://shepherdpuplinux.us/ShepherdPupDownload.html

1pritts2u

pBiblx

#2 Post by 1pritts2u »

Shew Thyself - New presentation of 0.1.5 features!

This is a slide show using W3C Slidy so it should work in most any js browser.

http://shepherdpuplinux.us/Demo1/pbiblx ... EMO1c.html

0.1.7 features to follow soon!

klhrevolutionist

#3 Post by klhrevolutionist »

That is an outstanding slide presentation! Congratulations on that and the new features entering pbible. I've actually been wanting to start my own wiki and fill it with articles and wiki material that I come across. For instance I've spent countless hours reading content on wikipedia & http://creationwiki.org/ as well as articles, books, etc.. and because of the licensing on most Christian related materials I can as well as anybody else copy that content. And what a better place to put it than on a wiki... So in effect I'd be creating my own Christian wiki as I'm not interested in mirroring every article and wiki but rather only the Christian content.

100% Amazing features!

Parallel reading coming next ???

1pritts2u

pBiblx

#4 Post by 1pritts2u »

It's there...Parallel reading is component pBless's primary focus.

1pritts2u

pBiblx - Major Upgrade

#5 Post by 1pritts2u »

I am pleased to announce a revised release of the ShepherdPup - Personal Edition. This update is a major feature upgrade of the study components pBiblx-0.1.7 and pBless-0.1.7. It is recommended that all current ShepherdPup users upgrade to this revised version.

While most system components remain the same, the exciting advances in these two components justify this revision. (For application list see homepage at http://shepherdpuplinux.us or previous announcements)

ShepherdPup is a self contained freely distributable integrated Bible study suite. It is meant to be freely used and freely given. (See a introductory SlidyShow at: http://shepherdpuplinux.us/Demo1/pbiblx ... EMO1c.html)

What's New in pBiblx-0.1.7

(See our WhatsNew SlidyShow presentation at http://shepherdpuplinux.us/Demo2/demo_0.1.7.html)

Indexing:
1. Simple new note syntax allows for topical indexing of any note in the new pbiblx-index dialog.

New methods of filtering searches:
1. Indexing has ignited development of the new Jesus Index tool - search just quotes, parables, miracles, sermons etc...
2. Indexing has ignited development of the new Index Filter tool - search just one testament, one author, major or minor prophets, Psalms by theme, Pauline verses General Epistles, Pauline Pastoral Epistles, and much more.
3. Any note can be a filter thanks to indexing. You can modify or author your own.
4. Several of the stock personal resources included have already been indexed.

New Search capabilities:
1. Searches can be performed upon the results of other searches.
2. Searches can placed on individual list items within the table or the entire table or the displayed text.
3. New reading context capability by current chapter, previous or next chapter.
4. Google from pBiblx book:chapter lines or from pBless search input box.

Multimedia Links:
1. Simple new note syntax allows for multimedia links within personal notes.
2. Any note line now can be a WWW link, radio or audio link, video link, email send-to address link, image link, local file link. Files of links become indexed addressbooks, audio or video playlists, audio bibles..... Links are opened from within pBless directly.
3. This feature has been implemented in the totally revamped "extras:" tab.
4. This feature has been used to implement the new audio bible "Play" button. The audio bible playlist included links to the KJV from AudioTreasure.com.

New Plug-ins:
1. Text output can now be sent to Didiwiki "MyNote" pages. This ShepherdPup themed Didiwiki is setup with MyNote, MyJournal, and MyOrganizer divisions. A Wiki is a great way to keep notes due to cross linking. Your Wiki can be shared on-line with others for collaboration.
2. W3C Slidy presentation. Like the Operashow plug-in, text output is received by this slide show generator and sent to your web browser as HTML. Slidy is viewable by most JavaScript enabled browsers (Konqueror buggy on line).

Other:
1. Some cosmetic changes in pBless moving buttons to more convenient locations.
2. The Puppy Remaster Wizard had been modified to include the root pbiblx and spot Didiwiki folders so that when you share a ShepherdPup copy you share your personalized copy.
3. Scrot screenshot capture added. Shot1 script modified to delay 3 seconds.

jur

#6 Post by jur »

Is it possible to have pBible as a installable app into any puppy version? I dislike to reboot every time I want to do Bible study. Or am I missing something? :)

1pritts2u

pBiblx - Major Upgrade

#7 Post by 1pritts2u »

It is very possible. pBiblx comes as a .pet package on the download page. For the moment I haven't updated the download to 0.1.7. Should have that ready by tomorrow..check then.

I am also going to release it as a plain tar.gz archive file for other Linuxs.

http://shepherdpuplinux.us.

1pritts2u

pBiblx

#8 Post by 1pritts2u »

The new pBiblx-0.1.7 is now posted on download page as a .pet package for use in any Puppy Linux. It is also there as a .tar.gz for other Linux distros.

Enjoy!

http://shepherdpuplinux.us

jur

#9 Post by jur »

"Oops! Page not found!" ;)

The date in the linky file name has a zero too many.

1pritts2u

pBiblx - Major Upgrade

#10 Post by 1pritts2u »

Fixed.

Thanks for the catch!!!

dawnsboy

#11 Post by dawnsboy »

The latest .pet version 1.7 (09-25-09) of pbiblx does not create a menu entry. It does place pbible.desktop file in /usr/share/applications. However the "exec=" line points at pbible instead of pbiblx. Also the .desktop points at /usr/share/min-icons as the location for the icon mini-christ1.xpm. This package does not copy an icon file to that location. There is a copy of this file in /usr/local/pbiblx.

After making the necessary adjustments to the pbible.desktop file the menu entry appears as expected. Clicking on the menu entry causes an xmessage box to appear with a message about dynamically building pbible. However the pbiblx program never starts.

Typing pbiblx into a console produces the xmessage dialogue and the following message in the console:

#pbiblx
Using users home pbiblx directory
Using users home .pbiblx directory

**ERROR**: gtkdialog: Error in line 295 near token '<item>': syntax error

aborting...

rm: cannot remove '/tmp/pbiblx-*line-search*.txt': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove '/tmp/pbless*': No such file or directory
killall: gtkdialog3: no process killed

As you can see from the message gtkdialog3 is installed on my system (Puppy Linux 4.2.1 final). I would correct the copy of the file this error occurs in but I do not know which file the message is referring to as 'pblblx' has only 47 lines.

1pritts2u

pBiblx - Major Upgrade

#12 Post by 1pritts2u »

Until you're better paid.. Thanks - should now be fix in the new downloads posted.

If you don't want to reinstall edit /usr/local/pbiblx/pbiblx and remove or comment out line 40 and 42 cat .......online_web.list and ......online_radio.list. Which are no longer needed thanks to the newer Media Links implementation.

My apologies. I have not had a chance to install this pet to a separate puppy yet as I build my ShepherdPup puplet from a un-squashed directory each time. Just to many things to do on a upgrade release!

The .tar.gz package is fixed also.

1pritts2u

#13 Post by 1pritts2u »

A flattering comment at Linux4Christians about ShepherdPup http://www.linuxforchristians.org/?p=156

dawnsboy

#14 Post by dawnsboy »

Until you're better paid..
LOL. That will happen in a better world than this my friend.

I appreciate the work you have done creating the ShepherdPup puplet and the pbiblx application package. I am using the 4.2.1 final as it seems to get along with hpliplite and my F4400 printer much better than the 4.12 bare-bones puplets so I appreciate the release of pbiblx as a separate package. I will make use of it. Thank you.

1pritts2u

pBiblx

#15 Post by 1pritts2u »

BIG NEWS!!! OSIS xml text can now be imported into pBiblx - nearly 200 Bible versions!!
Download osis2pbiblx.tar.gz here: http://shepherdpuplinux.us

USAGE:
gunzip osis2pbiblx.tar.gz (in a executable path)
gunzip filename.zip
osis2pbiblx.sh filename_osis.xml (make sure of directory path)

My thanks to the efforts of the zefania-sharp project at sourceforge.

1pritts2u

pBiblx

#16 Post by 1pritts2u »

New plug-in pbiblx-speak.tar.gz - This pBless plug-in produces multilingual parallel speech synthesis. Perfect for language study or drill. Also reads plain text. Requires espeak.**.**.pet and portaudio.**.**.pet

To use append /usr/local/pbiblx/plugins/pbiblx-speak.sh to config file via PBIBLX>OUTPUT>SETTINGS. Comment out (#) any other active plug-in.
Offered 10/20/09 by 1pritts2u

http://shepherdpuplinux.us

CiaW

pet package won't install

#17 Post by CiaW »

I just downloaded the pet package, and went to install it and got the following message:

Code: Select all

There was an error expanding packages pbiblx-09-25-09.tar.gz
Either the file is corrupted (I downloaded the pet file twice, just in case and deleted the previous expansion effort....), or has not expanded into its own directory with name of pbiblx-09-25-09 (which is how most packages expand). You will have to go into /root/.packages/ directory and manually clean it up.

This script will now exit.
I looked in the /root/.packages directory and It appears to have created a directory called pbiblx-0.1.7 instead? So I manually created a folder called pbiblx-09-25-09 and it said it installed but also said there's no menu entry. I opened a terminal and typed pbiblx and it came back with -- bash: pbiblx: command not found. I tried entering pbiblx-09-25-09 and it did the same thing.

Now what? I'm running Slaxer pup 4.12 if that makes a difference, under a frugal install.

1pritts2u

pBiblx

#18 Post by 1pritts2u »

I have not been able to duplicate your error in either ShepherdPup nor NOP. I have not heard of similar problems from the other downloaders and suggest it may be your download (handshake server - blrowser corrupting file?).

In SlaxPup your easiest way will be to install from the .pet package instead.

Let me know if you pursue the .tar.gz further or resolve the problem!

CiaW

#19 Post by CiaW »

The error message I posted was from installing (or attempting to install) the .pet file, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear about that. After the first attempt I deleted the files and re-downloaded the pet. It did the same thing. Since the error message from the pet package manager mentioned the /.download location I took a look in there and found the tar package.

There must be something in the .pet installation routine that's creating the folder with the different version number, because I didn't put it there.

However, it looks like it was installed, but since there's no menu entry I don't know how to launch it. I tried a terminal and typed 'pbiblx' which resulted in 'command not found' -- as mentioned in my original post.

1pritts2u

pBiblx

#20 Post by 1pritts2u »

Thanks, I will look into the .pet package to see where it is failing.

For now try /usr/local/pbiblx/pbiblx or the symlink /usr/local/bin/pbiblx. You should know right away whether the pet did indeed install as designed. There should also be a pbiblx.desktop file in /usr/share/applications/ that you can drag to your desktop or adjust to your particular menu layout.

I appreciate your effort and patience. Please share what you think about pBiblx!