Linksys WPC54G ver. 3 in Dingo with a WPA encypted network

Majin Zero

Linksys WPC54G ver. 3 in Dingo with a WPA encypted network

#1 Post by Majin Zero »

So I've browsed a few topics and it looks like this will need to be done via command line.

Well, honestly that's not ideal, but I can live.

Only problem is; the command line guides I've all found deal with only WEP.

I finally found one that mentioned WPA and it says I need to use WPA supplicant.

Ok, I follow those instructions, well, it tries to connect to "default" that's obviously not my wifi network's SSID. And there wasn't any place to input the key.

here is the topic mentioning WPA:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22469

Is there anyone willing to guide me step by step to set up a wifi connection to a WPA encrypted AP?

Or better yet, is there anything that will allow the gui tools to configure this card properly?

I hate to give in, but I'm almost tempted to cave and purchase a known good with puppy PCMCIA wifi card.

Robb

#2 Post by Robb »

This particular card uses a broadcomm chipset that appears to be a major pain in the rear to get working. My version 2 won't work and ndiswrapper gets complicated with this particular chip. I caved and got another card.

davids45

#3 Post by davids45 »

G'day,
If you're in the situation of nothing working except Windows for your card when trying to get onto your WPA wireless network, then have you tried using your written-for-the-card Windows drivers with ndiswrapper from the gui Network Wizard?
David S.

tempestuous

Re: Linksys WPC54G ver. 3 in Dingo with a WPA encypted network

#4 Post by tempestuous »

Majin Zero wrote:here is the topic mentioning WPA:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22469
Ok, I follow those instructions, well, it tries to connect to "default" that's obviously not my wifi network's SSID. And there wasn't any place to input the key.
Yes there is. In "PART 2: WPA encryption" -
Use Geany to modify the WPA configuration file to include your SSID and Personal Security Key (PSK).
Puppy already contains 2 different configuration files;
/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf - for WPA encryption
/etc/wpa_supplicant2.conf - for WPA2 encryption

Majin Zero

#5 Post by Majin Zero »

Ahh, missed that part - I'm blind.

haha.

Well, I'll give that a shot, but are there any cards that "just work" with the gui elements?

tempestuous

#6 Post by tempestuous »

Yes, the WPC54G v3 uses a Broadcom chipset, which is supported in Puppy3.x and 4.0 with the bcm43xx module. This module has been reported as slightly unreliable, but a known fix is to unload/reload it, like this

Code: Select all

rmmod bcm43xx
modprobe bcm43xx
At this point you should be able to use the Network Wizard ... but the Wizard has quite a few bugs, and these are currently being sorted out here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31522
You could try the latest update to the Wizard available there, which is currently network-wizard-july-22nd.tar.gz

But if you are still unsuccessful, the manual commands are a worthwhile learning process. And if nothing else, you should at least be able to identify at what point the wifi connection fails.