Ayttm 0.5.0_82

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Wolf Pup

#61 Post by Wolf Pup »

Ayttm updated to 0.5.0_82
[img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8595/ubd6467dp2.png[/img]
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/54tu74]Visit The Repository[/url] - Helpful and hard-to-find treats for Puppy 3.
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/c5a68f]Click Here for Puppy Support Chat, + Helpful Links.[/url]

Torrilin

#62 Post by Torrilin »

New puppy user and the problems with Ayttm are kind of a showstopper.

1. It automatically turns IP addresses into their DNS equivalent. This is very bad, because one IRC server I use often has some issues with name propagation... so you lose your connection much more often with the name rather than the IP.

2. I can't find the configuration setting to auto-re-connect. If you're going to set me up to drop, could you at least *try* not to make it so I have to manually reconnect every time?

3. ayttm does not appear to support ircii standard / commands. /server doesn't work for sure, which means... oh joy, I'm forcing a reconnect through a gui. No wait, I'm forcing a reconnect through about 3 layers of dialogue boxes.

4. it makes noise. I cannot find the configuration setting so the program will be quiet. It hasn't driven me nuts yet, mostly because my friends are still asleep.

5. I can't find the configuration setting for flashing.

6. it doesn't appear to support multiple irc servers, which isn't as bad as the others, but it's still irritating.

Since irc is my preferred chat program, this is very annoying. Until now, I've never used an irc client that was so feature free. (note: I know graphical interfaces are great at hiding settings, so it may not be as bad as it looks... but since it doesn't respond to ircii stuff, I am very stumped)

hayagix

#63 Post by hayagix »

I see several .pets for other chat programs. Pidgin, xchat, etc. SeaMonkey and Opera browsers have irc chat.

I, personally, find Ayttm to work perfectly with googletalk where Pidgin does not.

GeoW

#64 Post by GeoW »

Yo Torrilin,

There is a button at the bottom of your chat window with a standard
picture of a speaker on it - this will toggle your sound on and off.

To get to the preferences - go to the main Ayttm window - it has Ayttm
and the version in the title line, pull down the edit menu and select
preferences.

Hope that helps,

GeoW

Torrilin

#65 Post by Torrilin »

That's why I posted. I have found the preferences, and they do not cover *any* of my problems. I could be wrong, but I've dug through every layer of that dialogue box, and I haven't found anything.

The sound setting is for one chat window and one chat window only. It also resets to default every time you reconnect. Since there isn't a way to change the default, it isn't very helpful. There are no sound settings anywhere in preferences.

The documentation is no use either. The authors don't cover any of my questions, at any point. They don't even mention the IRC module. It isn't clear to me whether editing the .attymrc would do any good or not, and it's not even clear if there is one.

GeoW

#66 Post by GeoW »

When you enter Ayttm Preferences there is a topic selection box on
the left. It contains a list of topics, some with sub topics.

The second topic is Sound.
Click on it and you get a list of check boxes to control when sound
is played. This persists through shutdown / restart of Ayttm.

The fourth topic is Accounts.
Here you need to select a sub topic, so if you don't see them you need
to click on the little arrow to the left of Accounts.
Select the sub topic IRC: followed by your nickname.
In the resulting box, put a check mark in the box for Connect at startup..

tasmod

#67 Post by tasmod »

Has anything been done about the invite button crashing the machine.

i loaded .82 and mine still does this.