3Com US Robotics 045668-01 Message modem with 2.17 Full.

BJF

3Com US Robotics 045668-01 Message modem with 2.17 Full.

#1 Post by BJF »

HP NX9005 laptop with 2.17 on hard drive, and internal unsupported WinModem:

-This is pretty much a plug and play solution to the perenial dial-up modem problem common to Windows-friendly machinery. No drivers were required in this case.

-The modem was connected and switched on, and the laptop booted. No modem was detected during initialisation, possibly as the I had previously edited the first line out of the wvdial.config file thereby removing any location for the file to look to.

-modem-wizard was run, and found the serial modem on ttyS0. The location was saved.

-Pupdial wouldn't start, due to the blank location line in wvdial.config, so ttyS0 was inserted there.

-gkdial was started, using the configuration for my provider previously entered, and the modem dialed out and connected.

-Seamonkey was launched to verify the connection. Success!

-A shut down and reboot found an analogue modem on ttyS0 on boot-up, pupdial probed and tested on the same port, and dialled out too. gkdial has been chosen as the weapon of choice primarily because it doesn't advertise the password like pupdial does.

I have rationalised my dislike of the mains-supplied serial device with the valid point that the computer needs to be connected to a building to access a phone line and one more plug won't make any difference!

tempestuous

Re: 3Com US Robotics 045668-01 Message modem with 2.17 Full.

#2 Post by tempestuous »

BJF wrote:... and internal unsupported WinModem
No, WinModems are "softmodems" which require modem hardware emulation by the host CPU, via various Linux kernel modules and utilities. But your 3ComUS Robotics 045668-01, on the other hand, is a true hardware modem.
To say that the modem is "unsupported" is misleading, because this implies that a driver is necessary, but hardware modems require no driver in Linux at all.

BJF

#3 Post by BJF »

Thank you, tempestuous. I had indeed wanted to describe a software modem for which no driver existed to make it work under Linux. Hopefully any reader who reads of my experiences with a real modem will see your comments and understand. I, for my part, will be more careful with my personal comments.