PSip - Puppy SIP

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
gazb

audio

#136 Post by gazb »

smokey01 wrote:
Irihapeti wrote:Arghh, I spoke too soon!

When I got to the point of actually trying to use Psip to talk with someone, it didn't work like it should. I could hear the caller, but the caller couldn't hear me.
It could be that your microphone gain is low. This has been an ongoing problem for many using puppy.

Goto Start Menu > Multimedia > AlsaMixer audio mixer

Use your cursor keys to adjust. To select mic boost use the m key.

Smokey
I always do a test recording with mhWaveEdit to check if my mic is OK.
Its a good idea to check that both parties and sip server are using the same codec. Other than that its a router problem and ports need to be forwarded.

smokey01

#137 Post by smokey01 »

Billwho, have you tried puppy 4.00?

It may also be a hardware issue although it sounds like glibc library is missing.

Irihapeti

#138 Post by Irihapeti »

smokey01 wrote:

When I got to the point of actually trying to use Psip to talk with someone, it didn't work like it should. I could hear the caller, but the caller couldn't hear me.
It could be that your microphone gain is low. This has been an ongoing problem for many using puppy.

Smokey
That was the first thing I checked.

Does it apply to PSIP only, or to other applications in Puppy as well?

The reason I ask is that when I touch the microphone, I can hear the noise in my earphones with no problem. Also, I closed PSIP and started another VOIP program without adjusting anything, and was able to be heard with no difficulty. And no, at no time did I have more than one VOIP program running.

Any further suggestions gratefully accepted.

Irihapeti

gazb

#139 Post by gazb »

The reason I ask is that when I touch the microphone, I can hear the noise in my earphones with no problem. Also, I closed PSIP and started another VOIP program without adjusting anything, and was able to be heard with no difficulty. And no, at no time did I have more than one VOIP program running.

The common solution to this problem is the firewall settings.

Or You need to make sure that the outbound UDP RTP (voice data 5060) ports are open

smokey01

#140 Post by smokey01 »

Irihapeti wrote:
smokey01 wrote:

Smokey

Irihapeti
Psip does not touch the asla settings, not as far as I know anyway.

I have noticed if you have the line jack sense ON you can't hear anything. It will record from your mic whether it's on or off. Use M key to turn on or off.

See the attached screen shot of alsamixer to see what I mean.

Smokey
Attachments
alsa-settings.png
Alsamixer. Note line lack sense off.
(11.34 KiB) Downloaded 637 times

Irihapeti

#141 Post by Irihapeti »

smokey01:

I don't have a line jack sense. Here's my alsamixer settings, or part of them at least.

Mmm.. I've just noticed that I had a "Master" slider and it's disappeared.. :?

Irihapeti

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#142 Post by Billwho? »

Slowly but surely I am getting an operational PSIP in 215 CE Alpha.

This morning I created a new pup_save and installed the following packages
1/ glibc-2.6.1-1.pet ( from the puppy 4 repositories )
2/ gtkdialog3-0.7.18.pet ( from the puppy 2 repositories )
3/ psip-0.12.pet ( from tmxxine Here )

After configuring my firewall, gk-dial and psip. I started psip and after clicking on "refresh buddies" my buddy list was populated :D . All buddies were marked with a question mark so either they where all offline at the time or that will be my next problem to fix .

So far I have not found any ill effects to anything else in Puppy, which is strange since the last time I needed to install a newer version of GLIBC it broke some other applications ( hence the seperate GLIBC directory and start up scripts I was considering using earlier ). This may have been before the 3.xx series had been released so I may have been using a modified slackware package. ( here's hoping )

I am now going to migrate into the new pup_save one application at a time. Will report back if anything breaks.

Still no mike so IM only for me at the momment.
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.

smokey01

#143 Post by smokey01 »

Billwho? wrote:
Still no mike so IM only for me at the moment.
Bill, it sounds promising. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

A headset with microphone will only cost you about $20 for reasonable quality, lash out you won't be sorry. :wink:

Smokey

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#144 Post by Billwho? »

Ahhh Nuts. One step forward one step backwards.

I was on line earlier when my buddies list registered that gazb was also online ( one step forward ) So I sent an IM to him as a test, unfortunately I didn't receive a reply so am guessing that either it didn't go or I was unable to receive his reply ( one step back ). Maybe I need to be using a different sip server to be able to IM.
Will open an account with sipphone later and see if that helps.

Mike is on the way ( or more accurately the adapter socket ), it just hasn't arrived yet. :cry: Already have the headphones ..

smokey01

#145 Post by smokey01 »

Bill it might also mean Gazb wasn't at the computer when you called.

I sometimes have my computer on but not always sitting at it. By the time he saw your text chat you may have gone.

I use both proxy01.sipphone.com and realsip.com to chat. In fact I am logged in to both most of the time when I am online. When I call out it defaults to the default account (the last one in the config file) but you should be able to see both of my accounts if you have them in your buddies list and call me on either one.

Smokey

gazb

registered

#146 Post by gazb »

Billwho? wrote:Ahhh Nuts. One step forward one step backwards.

I was on line earlier when my buddies list registered that gazb was also online ( one step forward ) So I sent an IM to him as a test, unfortunately I didn't receive a reply so am guessing that either it didn't go or I was unable to receive his reply ( one step back ). Maybe I need to be using a different sip server to be able to IM.
Will open an account with sipphone later and see if that helps.

Mike is on the way ( or more accurately the adapter socket ), it just hasn't arrived yet. :cry: Already have the headphones ..
As far as I know you need to be registered with the same sip server as the person you are calling or text chatting to. Billwho, I am registered with proxy01.sipphone.com and your were registered with realsip.com, so you would not be able to contact me. You do see me in your buddy list as registered though. Smokey01 is registerd with both, but this creates a bit of confusion, I reckon its better just to register with proxy01.sipphone.com as most of the other testers are with this sip server.

Irihapeti

#147 Post by Irihapeti »

I wonder if there's something weird going on with the buddies list. I also have noticed gazb being flagged as online, but no response to an IM - and then when I quit Psip and launch the gizmo client instead, he ain't there. I can go backwards and forwards between the two clients and it happens consistently.

gazb

text

#148 Post by gazb »

Irihapeti wrote:I wonder if there's something weird going on with the buddies list. I also have noticed gazb being flagged as online, but no response to an IM - and then when I quit Psip and launch the gizmo client instead, he ain't there. I can go backwards and forwards between the two clients and it happens consistently.
I found I had to send a text with more than 10 characters. Strange...any less would not be received.

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

More one step forward, one back

#149 Post by Billwho? »

One Step Forward
I was able to have an IM conversation with smokey01 last night. Which proves that it should be possible to get PSIP running correctly in the 2xx series.

One Step Backward
After getting back offline I discovered that PupCtorrent and the Puppy Package manager were broken by the standard install of glibc-2.6 I was using.

All my attempts to install the later version GLIBC libraries in their own directory have been successful. But no matter where I place the LD_PATH statement, psip script, psip2 script or a custom script pointing to pjsua_custom_03-0.9.0 in a directory of its own; pjsua always fails to start with the error

Code: Select all

/usr/local/psip/pjsua_custom_03-0.9.0: /lib/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.3.3' not found (required by /usr/local/psip/pjsua_custom_03-0.9.0)
Is the path /lib/libpthread.so.0 hard coded into pjsua_custom_03-0.9.0 and over riding my LD_PATH statements or am I just not placing the statement in the correct place????

@gazb Thanks for the heads up re having to be on the same server to IM

smokey01

#150 Post by smokey01 »

Code:
/usr/local/psip/pjsua_custom_03-0.9.0: /lib/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.3.3' not found (required by /usr/local/psip/pjsua_custom_03-0.9.0)
Bill have you tried symlinking GLIBC_2.6 to GLIBC_2.3.3 or renaming 2.6 to 2.3.3

I assume you have tried running the psip script from the /usr/local/psip directory where the psip files are located. If not try this.

Smokey

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#151 Post by Billwho? »

Yes tried a symlink. All it achieved was a different error code in pjsua and worse problems in the package manager. So I changed things back to the way they were to start with.

gazb

dialup

#152 Post by gazb »

Just to confirm, spoke to Irihapeti (on dialup) yesterday , I was on Broadband, the sound voice quality was great, we both used ilbc codec.
Initally Irihapeti was using pcmu, the voice was no good using that codec on dialup.

Irihapeti

#153 Post by Irihapeti »

I've had a couple of conversations on Psip, with gazb as noted above, and also with magerlab/desafimager.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm actually not quite sure how I got my microphone working, but obviously I did. I couldn't get any results out of mhWaveEdit - it didn't seem to recognise the microphone - so I installed audacity, which I'm a lot more familiar with. There may have been a dependency installed that made the difference. I understand that magerlab also had microphone troubles until he'd installed audacity, so maybe there's something in this idea.

Irihapeti

HairyWill

#154 Post by HairyWill »

looks there might be a bug in psip-0.12

in previous versions if the rc file did not contain account credentials then the account setup was launched automatically, this no longer happens.

I suspect that the example commented out accounts are confusing the rather fragile test I put in to check for credentials.
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

zigbert

#155 Post by zigbert »

Good to see you around Will