Icon Themes Exchange

Themes, icons, wallpapers, etc.
steve_s

#61 Post by steve_s »

brymway wrote:A list of choices is not complete without the antithesis of itself. Here is a set of un-icons.
minimalism at it's finest! 8)

steve_s

#62 Post by steve_s »

I know this is nothing compared to the awesome release of 4.2, but I have icon questions:

1. I changed the default folder icon. I want to set it back so that whenever I change the icon theme that folder icon changes with the theme (right now it stays with the custom icon that I picked). So, how do I do that?

2. I have one computer (my PII laptop) that enjoys 4.0 and can't use anything higher...that's just fine by me. However, I like that the "Menu" button changes with the 4.2 icon themes. How can I get that to occur on 4.0? I don't know which file to edit...

steve_s

#63 Post by steve_s »

steve_s wrote:I know this is nothing compared to the awesome release of 4.2, but I have icon questions:

1. I changed the default folder icon. I want to set it back so that whenever I change the icon theme that folder icon changes with the theme (right now it stays with the custom icon that I picked). So, how do I do that?

2. I have one computer (my PII laptop) that enjoys 4.0 and can't use anything higher...that's just fine by me. However, I like that the "Menu" button changes with the 4.2 icon themes. How can I get that to occur on 4.0? I don't know which file to edit...
We answered number 2 on the JWM themes exchange (well, the illustrious ttuuxxx did) but I would still like to know how to fix question number one if anyone knows...

ttuuxxx

#64 Post by ttuuxxx »

For your answer to question number 1 install this pet :)
ttuuxxx
Attachments
folderfix.pet
(477 Bytes) Downloaded 1070 times
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

steve_s

#65 Post by steve_s »

ttuuxxx wrote:For your answer to question number 1 install this pet :)
ttuuxxx
Well, rats, ttuuxxx....I installed it, rebooted, no dice.

Is there a file to edit? What did I do wrong?

**Nevermind, I figured it out. I realized that folderfix.pet essentially just set up links to the correct folder icon. However it was putting it in a folder that wasn't the one that was being selected. So I clicked on the "Select Icon" option, then clicked on the part where it said "change inode/directory" and that showed where the link for the folder was coming from/referring to. I then went to that folder. The link was coming from /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-icons, and the link was wrong of course, hence my problem.

So I made that link refer to the same place that the proposed link from folderfix was referring to yet kept the same name. There were two of them, mime-inode:directory.png and mime-inode:mount-point.png, both were links that now referred to the correct location, the folder48.png located at /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/.

That seems to have taken care of it. Of course, if it's all screwed up after the next reboot, then I'll know I did something wrong. 8)

steve_s

PV-icon-theme

#66 Post by steve_s »

It was mentioned in the "Fake XP Look" thread that it might be nice to have an icon theme that looks similar to, uh, the competition, if it can be called that.

So, here are the PV-icons. "PV" can really stand for anything you want them to. For example, Puppy Vista, positively vibrant, pickled vermin, etc. Be creative. 8)

Notice that this icon set, for all extents and purposed has no discernible logos on them and all but the start-button are from icons that I either got from the other thread or around the web. I picked the ones I felt best about, cleaned, resized, renamed, etc.

Oh, that screenshot is, believe it or not, JWM. It is using this icon theme, WhoDo's theme that he posted very first on the JWM themes exchange and the background that he included with that theme, all on 4.2. Pretty amazing, huh?

Enjoy...
Attachments
pv-theme-screenie1.jpg
(55.45 KiB) Downloaded 7200 times

ttuuxxx

Re: PV-icon-theme

#67 Post by ttuuxxx »

steve_s wrote:It was mentioned in the "Fake XP Look" thread that it might be nice to have an icon theme that looks similar to, uh, the competition, if it can be called that.

So, here are the PV-icons. "PV" can really stand for anything you want them to. For example, Puppy Vista, positively vibrant, pickled vermin, etc. Be creative. 8)

Notice that this icon set, for all extents and purposed has no discernible logos on them and all but the start-button are from icons that I either got from the other thread or around the web. I picked the ones I felt best about, cleaned, resized, renamed, etc.

Oh, that screenshot is, believe it or not, JWM. It is using this icon theme, WhoDo's theme that he posted very first on the JWM themes exchange and the background that he included with that theme, all on 4.2. Pretty amazing, huh?

Enjoy...
Looks great and excellent size for the icons compared to the 80MB file I posted on the other thread :) Goodwork :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

steve_s

#68 Post by steve_s »

ttuuxxx wrote:
Looks great and excellent size for the icons compared to the 80MB file I posted on the other thread :) Goodwork :)
ttuuxxx
Thanks! 8)

big_bass

#69 Post by big_bass »

steve_s

I like that cartoon look my kids would love that I'll have to show them
your vista is nice too

ttuuxxx your theme looks great too but try some black desktop backgounds
instead of dismal gray it would have better contrast
to really show off your work better

big_bass

steve_s

#70 Post by steve_s »

big_bass wrote:steve_s

I like that cartoon look my kids would love that I'll have to show them
your vista is nice too

big_bass
Thanks! Yeah, I'm a much bigger fan of the gant theme than the pv one, but I thought it would be worthwhile to have 'em both.

ecomoney

#71 Post by ecomoney »

Not exactly icon themes....bit icon-ish

These are some special program launchers that Ive taken from ecopup that I saw by Guestoo some time ago. They allow double or single clicking to launch, but if the user double clicks they will still only get one instance of the application. It also shows a (very poor) splash screen for the application. They also show a tooltip when hovered over.

Installing the .pet puts them in /root/my-roxapps. Go in there and right click any of the icons and select "look inside", and this will reveal the goodies within. It should be obvious what everything does.

ecopup-launchers.pet
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

battleshooter

#72 Post by battleshooter »

steve_s wrote:

Enjoy...
Unbelievable. Puppy is just getting more and more amazing. I would've never thought JWM could look so good. Far out. :shock: Nice job 8) The irony of using such a light weight windows manager to look like the most heavy weight program known to me/mankind ;) is priceless. Awesome!

steve_s

#73 Post by steve_s »

Looking for a theme that is somewhere between minimalist and extravagant? Then Intrigue is the theme you are looking for...with the usual odd tweaks and such on my part (with custom start-button for 4.2) this is mostly from the Intrigue theme from kde-look.org. I picked it to take care of the gap between the flat minimalist themes and the more exotic themes like gant and such. Enjoy! 8)

Oh, the wallpaper is of a statue outside of Ft. Stockton, TX, and the jwm theme is courtesy of dejan555 from the jwm themes exchange, calm-blue. Looks good dejan!

dejan555

#74 Post by dejan555 »

steve_s wrote:Looks good dejan!
Thanks, I c u use lots of my stuff :) Nice background photo. :cool:
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

steve_s

#75 Post by steve_s »

...and these, folks, are just amazing. From here these icons are for the most part by the same artist that did the Gant icons...Feel of Japan icons, titled Japan-pup. Usual mod's by myself including the start-button..enjoy! 8)

Background is from here, original DeepThought JWM theme with gradient-brown gtk (first time I've ever liked that gtk theme).
Attachments
Japan-pup-icons.pet
(175.16 KiB) Downloaded 1690 times

steve_s

#76 Post by steve_s »

This theme is another very neat artistic idea that, to be honest with you, I'm surprised that someone hadn't thought of sooner.

It's from here so thanks to the creator Darknessssen; great idea!

I've done mod's like I usually do customizing for puppy.

Minimalist, hand drawn black and white "paper" icons.

Oh, using a black-white jwm theme from early in the jwm themes exchange forum thread. And the wallpaper is an original gimp done by one of my kids of one of our dogs.

8)

steve_s

#77 Post by steve_s »

These are the classic Tango icons...usual mod's, etc. by myself. Tango, as usual, very simple, clean and straight-forward.

But what is significant is that these are the first svg icons that I've assembled. Puppy has it's own way of doing things so in order to modify stuff I had to teach myself inkscape. Lite wasn't getting it, so hunting down libraries, etc. finally got Inkscape full installed. Then, after much, "WHY AREN'T YOU EMBEDDING?!!" and, "UGH! WHY DIDN'T ANYONE EXPLAIN THAT I HAD TO TRACE THE BITMAP'S PATH?!!" and the like, I gradually began to figure out how to use Inkscape effectively.

...it was a similar process to learning gimp. Ahhh...good times. :lol:

So now I am actually looking forward to the next round of svg icons...they do end up looking very sharp, perhaps coming out cleaner than straight png icons...not ready to create them all myself, but I can mutate with the best of 'em now! 8)
Attachments
tango-screenie1.png
(176.75 KiB) Downloaded 6879 times

steve_s

#78 Post by steve_s »

These are from here.

I did the usual mod's, except this is a fully svg icon set, including the mounted and mount boot versions of various icons...thank goodness for Inkscape. Also, I put together a jwm theme that is on the jwm themes thread.

Oh, the start-button.png doesn't like svg, so it is a png icon.

I have full screenshots on the My Puppy Looks Better Than Yours here.
Attachments
area042-icon-screenie.jpg
(107.75 KiB) Downloaded 3987 times
area042-icon-theme.pet
(66.45 KiB) Downloaded 1100 times

magerlab

#79 Post by magerlab »

how do you imply svg icons into jwm?
that looks nice

i like nuovo icons and now use jwm-winter theme and mime from here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=420
they are aslo svg

steve_s

#80 Post by steve_s »

magerlab wrote:how do you imply svg icons into jwm?
that looks nice

i like nuovo icons and now use jwm-winter theme and mime from here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=420
they are aslo svg
..thanks for the compliment!

Master Barry explains it best here. The deal is that the icon switcher script takes the svg files (assuming they are named correctly; I basically use a list of icon names that are in one of the themes from 4.2 and the advice from Barry's blog) and converts them to the correct png's, including sizes, whenever the script is run.

I've found that the svg icon themes can be easier to put together (since you don't have to have as many 'cause they are scalable) but they are harder to deal with (since I'm much better with gimp than inkscape, although I'm learning). So, there are definite plusses and minuses.

My two cents.. 8)