dingo on eeepc help please

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ronacc

dingo on eeepc help please

#1 Post by ronacc »

I'm trying to get dingo or mackpup working on my eeepc 4g with 2gb ram . I am installing them by booting from an external cd/dvd drive
and using puppy universal installer to install to a 2gb sd card formated fat16 and using syslinux to boot. I am having simalar problems with both .
1 with mackpup I cannot use xorg , the wizard finds the correct resolution and "test" is ok but as soon as ok is selected it
locks up so hard that I have to shut down with the power button . with dingo booting to desktop with xvesa and modprobing i915 then
running the xorg wizard gives me an xorg desktop however I lose the tap feature of the touchpad which worked with xvesa.
2 when I shutdown and try to generate a pupsave2.sfs the machine freezes while generating the pupsave2.sfs and has to be shutdown with the PB
the pupsave is generated but is corrupt and has to be deleted before I can boot again . mackpup is worse than dingo about this often freezing as soon as I select shutdown
dingo shuts down cleanly if "nosave" is selected. when shutting down with either when it freezes only the PB is effective , neither ctrl+alt+bkspace or ctrl+alt+delete give any response .
any help or suggestions are welcome .

JustGreg

#2 Post by JustGreg »

I can help with the tap function. You have to open /etc/X11/xorg.conf in a text editor like geany. In the synaptic section, you will find an entry: maxtaptime "0". Use the editor to change maxtaptime "220" and save the file. This will restore the tap function. This post (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=18339 has more details.

On the other items, I can not help you. I will suggest that you try PupEee with your EeePC. It works well with the EeePC, since it was setup by dvw86 for the EeePC. There is a lot of postings on how to do things with PupEee under the single PupEee post (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=25896) in the derivative forum section. If you search the forum for EeePC, you will find many posts that will help you.

I hope this helps.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

ronacc

#3 Post by ronacc »

thanks for the tip on the touchpad . I already have pupeee running on the eee also teenpup . I wanted to see what I coud do with dingo and or macpup.The save problem may have to do with the sd card being fat16 but that is the only way I have gotten dingo to boot from the sd so far . it saves back to the live dvd ok but corrupts the pupsave when writing to the sd .I tried ext2 with a couple of mbr's including yours no luck but I haven't given up yet;)

ronacc

#4 Post by ronacc »

update I made another try using fat16 format on the sd card and syslinux to boot . the pupsave file seems to have been corrupting because I was not waiting long enough to give up and hit the power button! I was waiting about 5 minutes! this time I just let it sit about 1/2 hour and finaly a blank box with just the word yse hightlghted showed up I hit return and it saved a good pupsave2.sfs .I have no idea why it was taking so long to generate the original pupsave file , there was pleanty of space on the 2gb sd card with only a fresh install of dingo (actualy macpup dingo this time) and I also have 2gb ram in the thing . subsequent shutdowns and saves were normal it saved quickly and shutdown cleanly no PB needed .now to get the wireless working .