Configure Video Cards in Puppy 4.0 [SOLVED]

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
steve_s

Configure Video Cards in Puppy 4.0 [SOLVED]

#1 Post by steve_s »

Hello all!

I am loving Puppy 4.0...awesome!

I've got it running on um, lesser computers, with older Pentium processors, but I have begun setting up a remaster that is for relatively higher end pc's.

The video cards I'm using right now are predominately ATI video cards...how do I configure them? I'm running XORG, but I don't really know how to configure thoroughly..suggestions? Links?

The current card is an ATI Radeon 800...

That being said, I would also like to know the best ways to configure other cards so that if I use this livecd/remater on other boxes, I can just set them up...(I've got a PC with an ATI X1600Pro that I would love to try Puppy on...).

Appreciate any suggestions for this.
Last edited by steve_s on Sun 29 Jun 2008, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.

steve_s

#2 Post by steve_s »

[notice the deep underlying sarcasm with which I express the next few lines] There is something seriously wrong with Puppy Linux! After my last post, I search a little further, found this thread, did as he suggested and installed xorg_xorg_full_dri and the latest libGL as the poster suggested (even though he was talking about different drivers/cards) and now it just works...that isn't supposed to happen in Linux! Nothing is supposed to work this easily!! It is supposed to take hours locating the driver, then more searching on how to configure it, then the ATI drivers probably still won't work! What is wrong with Puppy! Nothing is this simple!

[sarcastic rant over]

So, that solves that. Even setting up these cards in Windows is more complicated; loading the cd, letting it run, getting it set up.

Thanks again, Puppy...as always, it just works.

WhoDo

#3 Post by WhoDo »

steve_s wrote:What is wrong with Puppy! Nothing is this simple!
Beats me! :P Nice to see you've been MU'd into working order! Well done, mate! 8)
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com