Audio worked on LiveCD, not after installation

Booting, installing, newbie
shroomy_bee

Audio worked on LiveCD, not after installation

#1 Post by shroomy_bee »

edit:

Just following what seems to be the done thing and indicating this is fixed!

=used a different filepath to the startup barks given (puppy-reference/audio) which ain't working......I thought it would. Maybe it needs the user folder specifically.

====================================

New to this & looking for some help & pointers,

used the liveCD on old Pentium II, worked great, but noticed that the welcome-barks only played after I resized the desktop in Xvesa (when it asked after bootup) - if the screen wasn't resized, no barks.

So, the audio worked great after that.

Then, to do partitions / formatting etc faster and not to strain my old machine here, ran the liveCD on a newer machine which has a Realtek HD audio chip (888) -

didn't get any startup barks, but the audio worked in the desktop media player - but it seemed very faint.

So, installed Puppy to an ext2 partition using the newer computer,

but now when I'm running it from that hard drive install on the Pentium II, I'm getting no sound at all - no startup barks and not any audio from the media player.

Sooo........

Q. 1 - how do I get Puppy to rescan my different hardware here (since I know it works very well with this audio hardware) and save those settings?

Q.2 - how do I get the startup barks to play again?

( Used Puppy 4.00, and did a Full install;

it did rescan some of the hardware at least, as I only have a modem on the older machine, and it picked that up fine again during bootup - I'm using it justnow. )

thanks for answers.
Last edited by shroomy_bee on Mon 30 Jun 2008, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.

ken_cat

#2 Post by ken_cat »

Rerun Alsa Sound Wizard. Apply appropriate module for the hardware.

You should get the sound back.

Now the question will be if it is there after a reboot. It doesn't come back on my system after a boot using ver 3.01 or 4.00.

I'll be interested to see how you make out.

shroomy_bee

#3 Post by shroomy_bee »

Har, I just replied on your thread and you've posted in mine.....! I only noticed now.

So, I got the sound working by deleting the 'asound.state' from /etc/ (as detailed in my reply on your question in the other thread),

so just to update that here, and also to say I am still wanting to find out how the get the barks to play at startup! Cause I haven't figured that out yet.

shroomy_bee

#4 Post by shroomy_bee »

Just for some further details, since this is a help forum after all,

I didn't know what to do in the ALSA wizard; I ran it, it probed for soundcards and returned a list of 4, then asked if I wanted to change modprobe.conf and alter drivers for bootup;
I wasn't sure what it was going to do, so I just exited it - but that's how I knew to go looking in modprobe.conf for the audio settings.

ken_cat

#5 Post by ken_cat »

shroomy_bee wrote:Just for some further details, since this is a help forum after all,

I didn't know what to do in the ALSA wizard; I ran it, it probed for soundcards and returned a list of 4, then asked if I wanted to change modprobe.conf and alter drivers for bootup;
I wasn't sure what it was going to do, so I just exited it - but that's how I knew to go looking in modprobe.conf for the audio settings.
But does your sound continue to work after a reboot?

If not, using the ALSA wizard, click on changing the modprobe.config, as it should set your configuration for the next reboot.

As far as any barking, I don't get any either, but then my sound never survives a reboot so I guess the barking can't be heard.

I'll check your response now in the other thread. Thanks. Maybe we will stumble onto a solution eh?
Last edited by ken_cat on Sun 29 Jun 2008, 01:30, edited 1 time in total.

ken_cat

#6 Post by ken_cat »

shroomy_bee,

I tried deleting the asound.state file. It didn't work for me, and as you said, the file returns after reboot.

I did a comparison of lsmod when sound does not work vs when it does after running ALSA Wizard. There were 7 additional modules after running the wizard, so I manually loaded them with modprobe (after rebooting and losing the sound). This did not bring back the sound either.

This is very frustrating. It should be a simple thing for the program to remember a current configuration, and it spans two versions of Puppy.

Not sure what else to try.

ken_cat

#7 Post by ken_cat »

My boot issue has been solved. I wrote it up in my original thread.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=30692

I still don't hear any bark though :?

muggins

#8 Post by muggins »

If you want a couple of barks you can edit /root/.xinitrc and alter, at the bottom of the file, this:

Code: Select all

#exec $CURRENTWM
to this:

Code: Select all

wavplay /usr/share/audio/2barks.wav &
#exec $CURRENTWM

shroomy_bee

#9 Post by shroomy_bee »

Yeah, of course the sound works after reboot!

I'll give that barks-enabler a go, thanks!