Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 11 Dec 2017, 06:02
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
4.00 keeps freezing up
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [23 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
nubc

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun 2008, 12:05    Post subject:  

CPU overheating can definitely cause freezing. Sometimes, there is a competition between kernel and BIOS to control power management. And as a consequence, neither controls it, both give it up, and the CPU fan cuts off during boot. You should carefully monitor your computer for fan sounds as the computer boots up, and ensure that the CPU fan doesn't cut off (and stay off). Listen for fan sound if a laptop. Open up the side of the box for a desktop computer.
J08NS

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun 2008, 16:06    Post subject:  

I am using live cd and am saving sessions on a 1 gb flash drive , don.t know if it is a standard or experimental kernel .I used the start menu options freely all day yesterday with no problem Shocked ,so it may be a random occurence as reported by Dreams to GO and and HarryWill in a few of the other posts . I will try the pushing the Restart X server or Cntl + alt+ backspace and type xwin to restart X if it continues . I tend not to think it is cpu over heating . J08NS Cool
nubc

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun 2008, 19:29    Post subject:  

Quote:
Rather than pushing the reset button or rebooting, you should instead restart X, if you can. First try to "Restart X server" from the Menu button.

Menu > Shutdown > Restart X server
DreamsToGo

Location: Castelnaudary, south France, World Capital of Cassoulet

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jul 2008, 14:59    Post subject:  

I think this is something to do with the mouse. Just a feeling and I have no proof, but it seems to occur always just after I have moved the mouse.
Last edited by DreamsToGo on Sun 06 Jul 2008, 16:36; edited 1 time in total
Evil20071

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jul 2008, 15:19    Post subject:  

I can never get the restart X to work. Every time I try it, I get a black screen with a bunch of gray rectangles on it and it freezes there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
ICQ Number 
yim

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jul 2008, 07:49    Post subject:  

has anyone figured out this freeze problem , I too am have the same problem, I too modified my mouse settings and it usually happens after moving the mouse

when I first installed dingo on this

Presario720US
1.1ghz Duron
256 ram
512 swap

it ran superb and wireless was a breeze
but now freezes randomly
I do occasionally notice high cpu usage

yim
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jul 2008, 13:44    Post subject:  

I deleted 4.00-k2.6.21.7 (the standard .iso) within two days after first installing it, because of all the infuriating random total lockups requiring hitting the power button.

The experimental 4.00-k2.6.25-smp version has been stable for me, on both my P3 and P4 dual-cpu machines (the cpu's all run under 44 degrees C).

4.1-alpha-4 has also so far been stable, more stable than 4.1-alpha-3--replying here was a gamble in 4.1-alpha-3; as often as not, Seamonkey vanished while attempting to reply in 4.1-alpha-3; this problem seems to be resolved in 4.1-alpha-4.
bill

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jul 2008, 14:11    Post subject: Freezing in Puppy 4 Dingo ?  

Well I certainly can't argue with whatever others have experienced but on a cheapo Acer AST180-UA381B 3800+ AMD Athlon 1GB DDR2 ram ,Sata HD I have yet to experience any problems other than what I have done to myself. Sad I did however experience a sound problem with Nvidia driven onboard sound chip ,which I disallowed in bios and plugged in a creative blaster live which got my problem with Ardour2 resolved.I can't tell you why,but in your cases "hardware acceleration" comes to mind with Intel based mobos I have had in the past.cheers
Page 2 of 2 [23 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: