#1 Post by J08NS »

4.00 repeatedly freezes up . Sugestions ?? :(

ezeze5000

re-freezing up

#2 Post by ezeze5000 »

Need more info. on your PC/Laptop?
processor
ram

does it leave a message when it freezes up?
If at first you don't succeed try try again!

brymway

#3 Post by brymway »

What he said....I have Puppy400 and it hasn't froze up yet. I have run some linux distros that are pretty processor hungry and clicked a few things too many and locked a computer up, the ram and processor were low on that computer though.

J08NS

#4 Post by J08NS »

Plenty of ram 1.5 gb ram Celeron D 352, 3.20 Ghz, 533 MHz FSB, 512 KB cache
It most likely isn't my machine . Puppy 3.01 didn't freeze once seemed much faster . Yeah I seem to have pressed too many times at once and the app opens and goes dead and repeates and does nothing but occupy the screen until you must restart to clear the opened dead locked up windows It leaves no message .. :( Is Puppy 4.00 any slower? So what is the remedy for this slow click response locking up ? :?: Any ? THanks J08NS . 8)

muggins

#5 Post by muggins »

I've no idea what's causing your apps to freeze, but is it a particular application, or any?

J08NS

#6 Post by J08NS »

8) It seems to be when I am exploring the start menu and click the apps from there that the multi, no close, lock problem occurs. :shock:

muggins

#7 Post by muggins »

Well if you don't Start you won't Stop!

No, I've no idea what could be going on there. Do you think maybe altering your mouse settings might have any effect?

alienjeff

#8 Post by alienjeff »

@J08NS

What exactly is the "multi problem?"
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

J08NS

#9 Post by J08NS »

I click on a link in start menu and app opens as a box to use ,I continue to use that box further or try to close it to select other app from start menu .and the current window box will not close and any further use from menu leads to many (multi) dead boxes :( that I am unable to close leaving the only live link being the shutdown options which still work . I haven't noticed this in Puppy 3.01 . 8)

alienjeff

#10 Post by alienjeff »

Which v4.00 are you using: the standard or experimental kernel?

Are you running live from CD, or HD install?

If HD install, full or frugal?
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

DreamsToGo
Location: Castelnaudary, south France, World Capital of Cassoulet

#11 Post by DreamsToGo »

I have this problem as well, It happens completely randomly - I can be using any app, OpenOffice, SeaMonkey, Sylpheed, or a windows program running under wine - and the system just appears to freeze, Nothing, no mouse or keyboard response, no error message. The only way out is to press the reset button. Also what is strange is that when this happens and the reset button is pushed Puppy does not give the X failed to shut down properly message on next X start. (the one where it tells you to ignore or wait the 30 secs).

I'm using standard Puppy 4.00 as frugal install with 1 gig ram.

This freeze type thing happened also when Ubuntu brought out their latest version and seemed to be something to with the Kernel. I don't know whether its been fixed over there. What's funny is that it was supposed to apply only to the 2.6.25 series kernel. My understanding is that Puppy 4.00 standard uses the 2.6.21 kernel which is not supposed to be contaminated. Could it be something else? Maybe a module? Could it be something to do with the mouse?

Another strange thing is that I think its getting worse. When I first installed Puppy 4 it didn't happen, then it was once every few days, now it can happen several times a day - today its happened 2 times already. I'll post here whenever it happens.

26/06/2008 10h30 - system freeze - using openoffice
26/06/2008 15h50 - system freeze - using InfoCentral under wine
27/06/2008 10h00 - cleaned the fans and left the covers off - no freeze today
28/06/2008 - 10h30 - system freeze - using seamonkey
06/07/2008 - 11h00 - system freeze - now using V403
06/07/2008 - 20h45 - system freeze - using Slypheed

Where might I look to find error messages for this after the system has been restarted?
Last edited by DreamsToGo on Sun 06 Jul 2008, 18:57, edited 3 times in total.

nubc

#12 Post by nubc »

Rather than pushing the reset button or rebooting, you should instead restart X, if you can. First try to "Restart X server" from the Menu button (Menu > Shutdown > Restart X server). If the Menu is frozen, then simultaneously press Cntl+Alt+Backspace to crash Puppy to CLI, then type 'xwin' at the prompt to restart X. I suspect the freezing problem is an incorrect video driver, so you might try to change the driver to "Vesa" by running 'xorgwizard' from CLI.

Edit: CPU overheating can definitely cause freezing.
Last edited by nubc on Thu 26 Jun 2008, 22:43, edited 2 times in total.

DreamsToGo

#13 Post by DreamsToGo »

Thanks nubc,

the problem is that when the system freezes I can't do anything, nothing works, mouse doesn't move, doesn't click, keyboard is completely inert, no keys work. However the screen still shows an image of the last thing that I was doing. So, I can't get to the menu button, or use Cntl+Alt+Backspace.

The ONLY way out of this is to push the reset button.

I'm wondering whether this is a CPU overheating problem?

This might explain why the problem appears to be getting worse. We are getting into high summer here in South France, with temperatures around 30 degrees C. I don't have AC and rely on the PC fan and CPU fans to keep the system cool enough. I'll clean the fans to see if it makes any difference.

I've never experienced a CPU overheating problem. What are the symptoms?

paulh

#14 Post by paulh »

I have been having a similar problem with one program.

A week or two back I got a compressed help format file for FreeBASIC and downloaded a pup or pet to read it. I think the program was named something like chm.exe or chr.exe. The reader program and the file are in the same directory. If I double click on the file, two windows appear. I can read the file in the second window, but the first window is blank, and there seems to be no way to get rid of the first window without rebooting.

Sorry I can't be a bit more definite about this, but I haven't played around with FreeBASIC or the help file for nearly a week. I'd intended to try to fix the problem by changing the system options from single click to double click operation, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

System: 450 mhz Pentium II cpu, 128 mb ram, 12 + 3 gb hd, puppy-4.00-k2.6.21.7 (full install)

HairyWill

#15 Post by HairyWill »

I went through a phase of dingo locking up completely every day for a couple of weeks. I haven't done anything specific but it seems ok now.
thinkpad x30
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

nubc

#16 Post by nubc »

CPU overheating can definitely cause freezing. Sometimes, there is a competition between kernel and BIOS to control power management. And as a consequence, neither controls it, both give it up, and the CPU fan cuts off during boot. You should carefully monitor your computer for fan sounds as the computer boots up, and ensure that the CPU fan doesn't cut off (and stay off). Listen for fan sound if a laptop. Open up the side of the box for a desktop computer.

J08NS

#17 Post by J08NS »

I am using live cd and am saving sessions on a 1 gb flash drive , don.t know if it is a standard or experimental kernel .I used the start menu options freely all day yesterday with no problem :shock: ,so it may be a random occurence as reported by Dreams to GO and and HarryWill in a few of the other posts . I will try the pushing the Restart X server or Cntl + alt+ backspace and type xwin to restart X if it continues . I tend not to think it is cpu over heating . J08NS 8)

nubc

#18 Post by nubc »

Rather than pushing the reset button or rebooting, you should instead restart X, if you can. First try to "Restart X server" from the Menu button.
Menu > Shutdown > Restart X server

DreamsToGo

#19 Post by DreamsToGo »

I think this is something to do with the mouse. Just a feeling and I have no proof, but it seems to occur always just after I have moved the mouse.
Last edited by DreamsToGo on Sun 06 Jul 2008, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.

Evil20071

#20 Post by Evil20071 »

I can never get the restart X to work. Every time I try it, I get a black screen with a bunch of gray rectangles on it and it freezes there.