Belkin: Want to use a Different Driver [SOLVED]

steve_s

Belkin: Want to use a Different Driver [SOLVED]

#1 Post by steve_s »

System spec's: this one is a Pentium III, Puppy 4.0 installed to hard drive.

The Belkin USB device I am using is, according tothis site, version 3. I also read this link but their issues seem to be a dhcp problem and I haven't made it that far yet.

When I run the network wizard, it finds the device and runs rt2570 driver. That driver does not work: when I run ifconfig either via the NW wizard gui or via command line, and then order wlan0 "up" (or test it via the NW gui), my system freezes and my cpu freaks out, leaving the only option to reboot.

I want to use the rt73 driver. I have that option, but it doesn't find the device right away thus doesn't allow me to use it. I can load it via ndiswrapper, but puppy stubbornly still tries to use the rt2570, which then locks everything up and doesn't work.

Is there any way to force it to use this driver, either with or without ndiswrapper?
Last edited by steve_s on Sun 06 Jul 2008, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

Yes, the rt2570 and rt73 modules claim an overlapping range of Ralink device ID's.
You should be able to specify the rt73 module in the Network Wizard, but you will need to blacklist the rt2570 module first. I don't know the Puppy-approved method of doing this, search the forum for "blacklist".

steve_s

#3 Post by steve_s »

tempestuous wrote:Yes, the rt2570 and rt73 modules claim an overlapping range of Ralink device ID's.
You should be able to specify the rt73 module in the Network Wizard, but you will need to blacklist the rt2570 module first. I don't know the Puppy-approved method of doing this, search the forum for "blacklist".
...I thought so. After seeing you post in other areas I had hoped you would answer me here.

Master Barry tells how to blacklist in this thread. I'll give it a shot then post back.

steve_s

#4 Post by steve_s »

Unfortunately, no dice.

Here is what I did. Please advise as to whether I did it right, I need to go a different route, it would be better if I configure a different way, whatever.

This belkin uses an rt73 driver out of the box. However, I can't get rid of the default driver that Puppy keeps picking, as I've mentioned before.

Since then, I ran:

Code: Select all

geany /etc/modprobe.conf
...and added at the end of it:

blacklist rt2570
blacklist rt2500
I don't know if this is the best way to keep these drivers from working. Also, I don't know if this is the procedure I need to take. I have no problem setting it up via command if someone can advise me on the best steps to take...or the best steps to take setting it up via the gui.

All I know is, if you check the cd that the came with this belkin, it uses an rt73 driver.

Please help...I'd love to get internet running on this thing.

davids45

#5 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

I've not had any problems black-listing the default rt2570 driver via the gui from System>Bootmanager. Add the dud driver across to the black-listed side and re-boot and it's "gone".

Forgive my ignorance, but is the Belkin CD driver for the rt73 a linux driver, and not a Windows driver meaning you'd need to get ndiswrapper running to use it?

David S.

steve_s

#6 Post by steve_s »

davids45 wrote:G'day,

I've not had any problems black-listing the default rt2570 driver via the gui from System>Bootmanager. Add the dud driver across to the black-listed side and re-boot and it's "gone".

Forgive my ignorance, but is the Belkin CD driver for the rt73 a linux driver, and not a Windows driver meaning you'd need to get ndiswrapper running to use it?

David S.
thanks, David, very appreciated...it just so happens that I got it working, coincidentally the same way you mentioned, via the gui, just before checking out this post...I am using the connection right now.

Yeah, once I got that one blacklisted and selected the linux rt73 to autoload, rebooted, it worked great.

thanks!

steve_s

#7 Post by steve_s »

Back again...got this thing networked, via info mentioned above, but can't get it to start up that way every time I boot up. i've run the gui, network wizard, every time I start up, it finds my connection, every time.

Just can't get it to save. what am I missing? I read the instructions, scan, save this connection, use this profile, ok, then autofind dhcp, it finds it, I'm in. Great, you want to save this? Yes, yes that would be nice, thank you.

Nope, didn't save. start over.

any ideas?

steve_s

#8 Post by steve_s »

Ok, what seems to be happening is that when the drivers are blacklisted and the rt73 module is being loaded, that is somehow preventing Network Wizard (NW) from saving those settings, thus making me have to run the NW every time I started the computer back up.

So, I wrote a script to take care of it. Now, what is signigicant with that phrase is that I've only written one other script, and that is a one liner. So, I'll explain out exactly what I did so that those that have never written a script before can do it and see how easy Puppy makes it for everyone to learn new things (oh, and those of you that are "real" script writers, please give your two cents about what I could have done better on this one).

What I did was this: I ran in consol,

mkdir /root/.scripts
to make a hidden directory for new scripts.
Then I ran a text editor for the new file:

geany /root/.scripts/wlan0-config
...of course, you can name the file anything you want, I just figured "wlan0-config" was appropriate since that is the interface that I am configuring every time.

Then I typed this in "wlan0-config":

#!/bin/bash
ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 essid (type here your essid)
dhcpcd wlan0
I am basically telling ifconfig to start wlan0. Then I'm telling iwconfig to use a particular essid. For example, if your router was set as "Bobby" then the line might be iwconfig wlan0 essid Bobby. Then I'm telling dhcpcd client to run dhcp for wlan0.

Then save wlan0-config.

Then I went back out into the file manager, right clicked on "wlan0-config" and changed the permisions to make it executable. (Rox asks: do you want to change the permisions? and I said yes). Now your script is ready to run.

In this version of puppy there is an icon for autostart which will automatically run scripts at startup. All I had to do was to drag and drop "wlan0-config" onto the autostart icon and I was all set. Now the script runs every time I start up my pc.

Please post back if this helped and/or if you have any advise for newbie script writers such as myself. 8)

reginr

Thanks for the info!

#9 Post by reginr »

Great post,

Is there anything I need to add on the script should I put a password on my router?

Please advise

Thanks

steve_s

Re: Thanks for the info!

#10 Post by steve_s »

reginr wrote:Great post,

Is there anything I need to add on the script should I put a password on my router?

Please advise

Thanks
There is a whole lot that you can do with ifconfig and with iwconfig; but you'll just have to check around on all the possibilities that they can offer. Check the manual pages for each, "man ifconfig" like that. Just googling around can give you more on that than I could provide here. My stuff was pretty basic...you can make it as complicated a command as you want.

So you could customize the script however you wanted by simply giving different options to ifconfig and iwconfig. I do recommend, to make sure, that you just run each command individually in the console/terminal/command line to see if they work before you go to the effort of putting them in a script file...might save some time.

Hope that helps...