File too short...!!

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
tritonas00

File too short...!!

#1 Post by tritonas00 »

Hi all!!Please explain me something..!!Some pet packages that i install has some missing libraries.Ok.I go to http://puppylinux.ca/ttuuxxx/ and i put the missisng libraries then when i run the program it says "error opening the xxxxx library,file to short!

What does that means??What am i doing wrong??

Thanks and sorry for but english. :) :)

Caneri

#2 Post by Caneri »

Hi tritonas00,

Would you tell me which lib and I'll look into this in case it is a server problem.
EDIT: you're English is ok. Not to worry as there are lots of non English speakers here.

Best,
Eric
Last edited by Caneri on Thu 19 Jun 2008, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

ttuuxxx

#3 Post by ttuuxxx »

It could be that he installed the system link and not the actual library
, Its easy to make that mistake.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Caneri

#4 Post by Caneri »

Hi ttuuxxx,

yup I could do that too..lol

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

tritonas00

#5 Post by tritonas00 »

i just download the missing lib file and copy it to the lib folder with the other libraries.The program see it but it cant load it!

muggins

#6 Post by muggins »

tritonas00,

I've also encountered this error and, while I'm not certain, I think it's because the library was compiled against a different glibc version. You can try running ldconfig, or look for the particular library from a source closer to the pupversion you're running.

Can you give some examples of programs you're trying to get running, and library files that are too short?

tritonas00

#7 Post by tritonas00 »

here is an example...I install gslapt.pup it installs fine.Then when i run it i get this:error while loading shared libraries:/usr/lib/libidn.so.11: file too short

(Also i downloaded ldconfig.pup installs fine but when i run it says file not found ...lol!

I havent problems with the most of packages but there are some that give me "file too short"!

I have dingo running on amd k6 450 mhz and 160 mb ram and runs very very very well!!)

muggins

#8 Post by muggins »

Which pupversion are you using? Is this the only example where you've encountered this?

muggins

#9 Post by muggins »

I just had a quick look at my pup4 install, and I've got libidn.so.11 as a symlink to my pup2.16 partition, so I've used it at some stage for something or other? Anyway, I've gzipped it up here for you to try. Just extract to /, and let us know if it has the same problems.
Attachments
libidn.so.11.5.16.tar.gz
(59.27 KiB) Downloaded 890 times

tritonas00

#10 Post by tritonas00 »

muggins wrote:I just had a quick look at my pup4 install, and I've got libidn.so.11 as a symlink to my pup2.16 partition, so I've used it at some stage for something or other? Anyway, I've gzipped it up here for you to try. Just extract to /, and let us know if it has the same problems.

Thanks!!! That fixed it

But what about other programs??Is there a general guide to fix this problem?Or a package manager that automatically downloads and fixes dependencies??

muggins

#11 Post by muggins »

The only general guideline I can think of is to try & download packages that have been compiled on pupversions as close as possible to the one you're using.

And straight away this is invalidated by your libidn example where you're using pup4, I think ttuxxx compiled the first version using pup3, but the one I uploaded is from pup2!

Once you're more familiar with puppy & linux, you'll be comfortable either importing libraries from other linux versions, or compiling them yourself.

tritonas00

#12 Post by tritonas00 »

muggins wrote:The only general guideline I can think of is to try & download packages that have been compiled on pupversions as close as possible to the one you're using.

And straight away this is invalidated by your libidn example where you're using pup4, I think ttuxxx compiled the first version using pup3, but the one I uploaded is from pup2!

Once you're more familiar with puppy & linux, you'll be comfortable either importing libraries from other linux versions, or compiling them yourself.

Ok thanks!!!Now i understand..