Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 16 Oct 2018, 10:44
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
How I compiled my first .pet!
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
davidA

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jun 2008, 00:04    Post subject:  How I compiled my first .pet!
Subject description: A short account

I am slowly learning and getting a handle on how puppy works (thanks to all the good info here - and all the helpful folk)

Today I downloaded and installed the devx_400.sfs file to my hard drive and compiled a simple App (a text editor called Nano) with no problems.

If you have other than a hard drive install the steps are a little different (they are easier as a matter of fact) and this is explained in the links.

I downloaded the devx file for 'dingo' (note the '400' in the file name) if you are using a different version of puppy you should be able to locate the devx file for your version fairly easily. Here is a link to the devx_400.sfs file that I used.

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/sfs_modules-4

Here is a link to where you can download the source code for Nano. If you are looking to compile your first App, Nano is a good place to start as it is an easy one to build that you likely won't experience difficulties with.

http://www.nano-editor.org/

Here is the link to the developer site I used, that explains how to set up your machine to compile applications.

http://www.puppylinux.com/development/compileapps.htm

As I have done a hard drive install, I had to follow the extra instructions in order to get the compiler working properly. Although they look a little intimidating, if you follow them in order (one by one) I doubt that you will experience any difficulties.

Afterwards I read the instructions (on the developer site) about how to create a pet file and compiled again.

Below is a link to the instructions I followed, that show you how to make a pet package.

http://www.puppylinux.com/development/createpet.htm

I tested the pet file on my own machine and afterwards installed with no problems (although Nano was installed already in a different place)

Thanks everyone for all the help. I am amazed at how 'unbuggy' Puppy is. Puppy Linux is great Smile

Cheers

David

Last edited by davidA on Fri 20 Jun 2008, 10:44; edited 5 times in total
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jun 2008, 09:45    Post subject:  

That's great! Thanks!

A link to the developer site where you found the instructions on how to create a .pet would make your account ever so much more useful to others who might like to try making their own .pets.
You can edit your post, to add such a link. Smile
davidA

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jun 2008, 10:53    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:
A link to the developer site where you found the instructions on how to create a .pet would make your account ever so much more useful to others who might like to try making their own .pets.
You can edit your post, to add such a link. Smile

Thanks Flash: I have gone into a little more detail on how I built my first puppy application (and made a pet file out of it) If you think it prudent please consider moving this thread to the beginners forum.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: