Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

READ-ONLY-MODE: PLEASE DO NOT POST NEW STUFF!
  New Forum: http://forum.puppylinux.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 13 Aug 2020, 00:00
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
3.01 install locked up after uninstalling Gizmo
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
peppyy

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun 2008, 20:07    Post subject:  3.01 install locked up after uninstalling Gizmo
Subject description: cannot start any apps including console

Long story short I am using a copy of firefox that was open and still works but I am completely stuck.

I used the Puppy Package Manager to uninstall Gizmo and now I can't launch anything else. It acts like things are working but nothing happens.

Do I dare restart? I really need to backup so I am saving what I can to emails to retrieve later.

I have a highly modified version of 3.01 TMXXINE Prism, type 1 HDD install,

Please advise.

Thanks.

Oh, the uninstall broke java too so I can't get to irc either.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger 
muggins

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun 2008, 21:32    Post subject:  

peppyy,

Doesn't gizmo have some gnomish library dependencies? My first step would be to convert the gizmo .pet to a tgz, unpack it to a temporary location, and see which library files have been installed. Or you can try mounting the pup_301.sfs, & copying across, & overwriting, everything in /usr/lib.

Of course, there's always that old standby of the backup pup_save.2fs file.
peppyy

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun 2008, 22:25    Post subject:  

I must be really confused because I can't find a pup_save.2fs file anywhere, only a zdrv_301.sfs

Since I could not do anything from where I was I rebooted, which made matters worse, no x anymore.
Used xorgwizard and still nothing xorg or xvesa. On test I got a blip and an error then nothing.

I booted live and replaced .xinitrc and .jwmrc from /mnt/hda1/root with fresh copies from the live cd and no joy.

I do have a pup001 file on the drive which is 256MB but I think that is a relic of a live boot long ago.

muggins

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun 2008, 23:10    Post subject:  

So you must have a full install then? If so, try booting pup cdrom in ram, mounting the full install partition, then copy across /usr/lib from the cdrom. e.g. if partition was /mnt/hda2:

Code:
cp /usr/lib/lib* /mnt/hda2/usr/lib
peppyy

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun 2008, 23:31    Post subject:  

I will try that.

I have also tried renaming /etc/x11/xorg.conf to oldxorg.conf to see if a new copy will help.

peppyy

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun 2008, 23:49    Post subject: Good news!  

still no joy, I think that xorg is damaged or perhaps something else was uninstalled which was needed.

I will read more about xorg tonight but I am beginning to think I may be looking at a clean slate.

I have a lot of custom apps installed and likewise their used data, I am guessing the personal settings are all in root?

EDIT with JOY Laughing
I replaced the 3 xorg.conf files in /etc/X11 and I have x again!!!!!!

Thank you everyone!

muggins

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jun 2008, 02:24    Post subject:  

Good news, we can have a celebratory virtual beer! I think it was Bruce B that recommended making a tar.gz archive of /etc directory, in case things got scrambled.
peppyy

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jun 2008, 12:45    Post subject:  

muggins wrote:
Good news, we can have a celebratory virtual beer! I think it was Bruce B that recommended making a tar.gz archive of /etc directory, in case things got scrambled.

Ohh Good Idea!, well ideas hehe. I can drink virtual beer Twisted Evil

On to Pupzip

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: