IHU: QT3-based VOIP communication program

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#16 Post by Flash »

Thanks, tubby. (Your report would be even more useful if you'd mentioned which libraries were missing and how you installed them.) :)

After installing the ihu, jack, speex and qt-3.3.8 dotpets, I clicked on the new ihu entry in the Internet section of the Menu. Nothing happened. Thinking quickly (usually I freeze at the controls when something doesn't work,) I entered ihu in a console -- and the ihu GUI sprang to life (after a message saying there was no ihu config file in /root/somethingorother.) Is there an IP address I could feed it, to see if it at least does something?

I've saved those 4 dotpets in a folder I named IHU VOIP. It only takes a few seconds to install them all, so I won't save their installation on my multisession DVD just yet. I want to get ihu working first. For one thing, I get entirely different IP addresses depending on whether I run ifconfig or use whoami. Which IP address do I send someone so they can enter it into ihu if they want to talk to me?
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

tubby

IHU

#17 Post by tubby »

Sorry Flash i didn`t think about posting the missing libraries as i expected them to show up if as you did, run the program from terminal. Here are the ones needed for my install, libsoundtouch1c2_1.3.1, libqt3-mt_3.3.8b, as posted i used some debian ones i had on another computer. After installing these the program opened from the internet pull down.
The config file is created when you config the program, Options/general/ add a name in the my name box and save it, quit the program and restart and the nag should have gone.
As i was on a local network all i had to do was put the address of the other computer in the dial box and press connect, on the receiving computer press answer and i was connected.
For internet dialing i think a free account with DYDNS would be prudent for stability and possibly security.
Hope this helps.

tubby

#18 Post by tubby »

Now i have taken an interest in voip and sip, i have downloaded and compiled FreeSWITCH from http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Main_Page it is a different beast IHU but it does have an awful lot of support and documentation about codec configuration.
Off to play now.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#19 Post by Flash »

I'm trying out Quirky 021. I installed the four files from the OP of this thread and then clicked on Ihu in the internet menu. Nothing happened. I opened urxvt and entered ihu. Again nothing happened, except for this error message:
# ihu
ihu: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
What do I do now? Is a library missing? Where would I find it? I looked in Puppy's package manager but found precious few libraries listed there.

muggins

#20 Post by muggins »

Flash,

because the qt3, in puppy repository, was compiled against openGL libraries, you need to also install openGL. Or, if you see the note I've added to the first post, you can instead uninstall the IHU version you've installed, & try the static version of IHU.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#21 Post by Flash »

Thanks, Muggins. I found the (14 MB!) Mesa opengl dotpet in (the Utility section of) Quirky's package manager and installed it. Now Ihu opens from the Internet section of Puppy's menu. :)

However, the static version of Ihu (linked to in the OP) is much smaller than 14 MB, I might rather use it.

goingnuts

#22 Post by goingnuts »

Did you ever get this working aside from calling on a local network?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#23 Post by Flash »

If you're asking me, I don't remember. That was 5 years ago.

goingnuts

#24 Post by goingnuts »

Thanks - although "old" it still looks good: Encrypted voip using only ip-address as "phone-number". Could become handy if it works (and maybe recoded to another GUI-toolkit...)

OscarTalks

#25 Post by OscarTalks »

The static jobby appears to run OK in several Pups. Just stick the icon in /usr/share/pixmaps and make a .desktop file and you can make a .pet and have menu entry and window/tray icons. Obviously you would need to set up your router and firewall for incoming connections as it is all peer-to-peer and without having other users or a second internet connection to hand at the moment I am unable to test calling over the internet.
Uploaded (maybe only temporarily) as "ihu-telephony-0.6.0-i386.pet" to:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Oscar in England

goingnuts

#26 Post by goingnuts »

OK - thanks a lot. So one has to forward port 1793 in router to local ip - in both ends. Limit the use a bit as you do not always have access to router settings.
Otherwise a really useful application.