mozilla firefox

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
racerboy514

mozilla firefox

#1 Post by racerboy514 »

hello

im really new to puppy and linux i switch after my xp crashed for like the 100th time. what i need to know is how to setup and install firefox as my web browser. im useing puppy 4.10. i would also like to know how to setup yahoo messenger if that can be done thanx

shiuming

ello ello

#2 Post by shiuming »

hey mate..

you should be able to do most of ur usual browsing through seamonkey.. it's just another browser from mozilla. if you wanna chuck on firefox someone's made a 3.0.3 pet file for you to install. if u're un familiar with the pet system probably best to just use seamonkey until you grow out of it.

you should be able to do your yahoo instant messages from ayttm it's in the internet part of the menu. it may be a little confusing because it pops the irc channel above the main window. just jump to the other window and add the yahoo account.

cheers

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

Can't help with yahoo. I don't do chat. Sorry.

As for firefox, that's one of the simplest things to install by hand in the linux world. All you do is go to the firefox website and download it from the big button. Then you extract the package somewhere convenient. The actual location doesn't matter. /usr/local/firefox is a good spot. Technically, that's it, but you probably also want to do two things:
1: Open a window at /usr/local/firefox (or wherever you put it) and at /usr/local/bin/. Now drag the file /usr/local/firefox/firefox into /usr/local/bin/, and when it pops up a menu, tell it to "link absolute". Now firefox is in the "path" so it can be started by simply running "firefox" rather than including the path.
2: Hold the [Shift] key and click the "browser" icon on the desktop (or /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser, which it points to). This should open that file as text in geany. Replace the part that says "seamonkey" with the word "firefox". That changes the default browser from seamonkey to firefox.

And that's it. Cake.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

racerboy514

thank you

#4 Post by racerboy514 »

thank u it worked like a charm. yahoo came right up

Eyes-Only

#5 Post by Eyes-Only »

Here's a question for you PG: Now you said for him to create the link as an "absolute" and I'm curious as to just why that is? I've often wondered as to what's the difference between the two links offered in ROX-Filer, "absolute" and "relative"? I've always chosen the latter over the past three (nearly four now) years so it'd be nice to know if I've been doing something "incredibly" wrong---or just "mildly" wrong this entire time.

Come to think of it now PG, most other file managers just offer the one choice, which is "Make Link Here" when you've dragged a file across the dual-pane. (I'm thinking Krusader, XFE, and others of that design.)

Thanks for any light you can shed on this PG! And I hope that college is going well for you this year. :)

Amicalement/Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

Absolute gives it the absolute path, while relative uses a relative path. If you make a symlink at /usr/local/bin/firefox pointing to /usr/local/firefox/firefox, an absolute link will use the path /usr/local/firefox/firefox, but a relative link will use ../firefox/firefox. Both of them will work.

In many situations it makes no difference. Sometimes it does, mainly if the symlink itself will be moved around. If the link will move around without the target also moving, then you should use absolute. If they will both move in the same manner, then use relative.

Example for absolute:
I have my music stored at /mnt/home/JukeBox/. This doesn't ever move. So I use an absolute symlink. If I move or copy that symlink someplace else, it will still point at my music.

Example for relative:
I made a TiMidity package where it has two soundfonts in the /usr/share/timidity/ directory. The active soundfont is symlinked to "current". I used a relative link, because that way if the package is extracted manually at /tmp/NewDir/, the "current" link will still point at the soundfont in /tmp/NewDir/usr/share/timidity/eawpatches, because it actually only points to "eawpatches", without the full path.

In the case of installing firefox, neither file will likely be moved so it's a pretty arbitrary choice. I picked absolute because when you hover the mouse over it, it will display the full path, and to me that's more legible when the file it's pointing at isn't in the same branch of the directory tree (as in, you have to move "up" at least once to reach it).

In theory, a relative link may have been better, because if you moved /usr/local to /usr/here/ or something weird like that, it wouldn't break the symlink. But that's not very likely in this case, so I opted for readability. Or at least, my idea of readability. Some people might find the ../firefox/firefox more legible. I have issues with little dots.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Eyes-Only

#7 Post by Eyes-Only »

Well I'll be! :shock: Nearly 4 years in Linux and still learning! (Of course that was my "smart alec" remark for the day there! hehe!)

Seriously though PG, I never knew this so to finally know and understand comes as a great revelation to me!

Thank you my friend! And that goes too for the very clear and concise manner in which you described that---as well as the amount of time out of your busy school schedule to teach ME as well.

It has been very much appreciated and your efforts will not go unnoticed my friend, PG. :D

Merci Mille Fois!/Thanks a million!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*