Attempting wireless printer setup.

thelash

Attempting wireless printer setup.

#1 Post by thelash »

With help from forum, have successfully setup Brother printer on usb. Now attempting a wireless setup on same printer and not sure what to specify on device uri. Have selected lpd/lpr in cups config and obtained printer ip address from its menu - printer is successfully running on a macbook in this household - so have entered it as follows - lpd://010.001.001.003/lpr. This worked ok but when I shut down printer and restarted it later, no go. It's on auto dhcp and ip address was then 010.001.001.005. When I redid my install using this address, it worked again.
What can I enter as uri that will get around this change? The printer gave me its node name, and also ssid but neither of these worked.
I must admit to being baffled by all the wifi terminology and haven't been able to enlighten myself with web search and forum browsing.

Puppy 4 on IBM T22 laptop
Brother mfc665cw wireless printer.

trapster

#2 Post by trapster »

I'm not familiar with Brother printers, but my wireless HP 6180 uses socket://192.168.1.100 as the uri.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

thelash

#3 Post by thelash »

Thanks trapster, but we're house sitting and this printer is set up for the owner's macbook. You can open the printer's own menu and obtain ip address, default gate, ssid and node name - these are the settings I am trying to use. The problem seems to be that the ip address is dynamic - ie assigned each time you open up the network to print. So that if I put in a hostname in my cups setup, it will work today, but not tomorrow if I turn off the printer and turn it on again. I'm thinking there must be a setting for hostname or something that remains the same?