Intel537 Smarty-Modem in HP NX9005 Laptop. -Configuring.

BJF

Intel537 Smarty-Modem in HP NX9005 Laptop. -Configuring.

#1 Post by BJF »

Sorry, but I have yet another question, regarding the dreaded WinModem configuration problem.

Boot-up detects a modem on ttySL0 on the way in.

Modem-wizard finds the Ali Corp Intel537 [M5457 AC Link Modem] on ttySL0 and PupDial confirms this with probe and test, but with the disclaimer that one now has to get it to dial out and good luck.

Attempts to connect lock up the OS and require a power-down to get out. Lots of fan activity as though something profound is happening too. Then there's reconfiguring of the scratch-pad to do after the xorgwizard and xwin business, to get it all back up.

I did some Wellminded-ing (thank you Erikson) and was directed to a DotPup for an Intel537EP driver, downloaded and installed.

The Read-me gives the following instructions:

INSTRUCTIONS (this README is found in /root/my-applications)

## set up the modem
/root/my-applications/bin/537_boot start
minicom AT+GCI=<t.35countrycode> ## this should only need to be done once

Then configure your favourite dialler to connect to either /dev/537 or /dev/modem.

Then after a list of country codes, the following:

.. or manually -

modprobe Intel537
hamregistry &
rm /dev/537
mknod /dev/537 c 240 1
## note "240" is the default, if it does not work see what /proc/devices says 537's major number is
ln -s /dev/537 /dev/modem
minicom AT+GCI=<t.35countrycode>

My wvconfig file looks like this:

[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/536ep
Baud = 57600
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0V1E1S0=0&C1&D2S11=55+FCLASS=0
Carrier Check = no
Dial Command = ATDT
Phone = 086725327
Username = ****
Password = ****

Obviously the 536ep is wrong, but when I modprobe Intel537 it returns a segmentation fault. And I haven't tried connecting again via wvdial until I know what I'm doing wrong.

Can anyone help here please?
Last edited by BJF on Sun 25 May 2008, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.

trapster

#2 Post by trapster »

Maybe it's just a typo but when you're linking /dev/537 to /dev/modem you then have "Modem = /dev/536ep"

I would try "Modem = /dev/modem" because you already linked it.

Just a guess...

Code: Select all

ln -s /dev/537 /dev/modem
minicom AT+GCI=<t.35countrycode>

My wvconfig file looks like this:

[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/536ep 
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

BJF

#3 Post by BJF »

OK, as to syntax, do I just alter the top line with a text editor to /dev/modem, or /dev/537ep, save, and boot?

I haven't linked anything. That is the bit I stayed away from due to lack of knowledge of most things Linux. All I did was modprobe Intel537, and got the segfault. Basic how-to-do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

tempestuous

Re: Intel537 Smarty-Modem in HP NX9005 Laptop. -Configuring.

#4 Post by tempestuous »

BJF wrote:was directed to a DotPup for an Intel537EP driver, downloaded and installed.
That would me my old dotpup from here
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Internet/Winm ... -and-2.01/
As you can see from the name of the download directory, this only compatible with older versions of Puppy.

Modern versions of Puppy now have the Intel537 driver pre-installed. Setup is also automatic, via PupDial (I think).

When asking for help, you should always indicate the version of Puppy you are using.

BJF

#5 Post by BJF »

Tempestuous Sir:

My apologies, I have written often to the forum and given the spec's of the machinery so many times that sometimes I leave out bits of the plot in haste.

Puppy 2.17 is in use since it seems to be one of the last to reliably detect WinModii. Feel free to contradict me here, I'm a newbie.

However, as to the drivers, yes there is a 537 entry in the list of drivers on board but I don't know what to do with it!

Ta hard, John.

tempestuous

#6 Post by tempestuous »

Use PupDial, or whatever wizard there is for dialup networking.

BJF

#7 Post by BJF »

OK, I'm going out on a limb here, but I will try correcting /dev/536 to read 537, reboot, make sure the modem is still found, then try using PupDial again to see if the freeze is still occurring. Which is about the limit of my deducing power at my experience level. And I will report back. Somehow, I would hope, the modem finds its driver and we're away.

BJF

#8 Post by BJF »

Nope. Boot-up reports modem is 537. PupDial says it found a modem, but a test can't find a modem at ttySL0 anymore and now knows the modem as 537, and an attempt to dial out finds no device or file. So really I am no further ahead and patiently awaiting direction.