Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 16 Aug 2018, 08:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
If you use WINE, a way to speed up linux...
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [23 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
koolie

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun 2008, 22:31    Post subject:  

Run Windoze in VirtualBox for chrissake.

Problems solved!
Razer5598

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jun 2008, 19:45    Post subject:  

I love Wine fore all the things I got going but yes it is a bit to much like Windows if you use it for Explorer or constantly run games over the web like World of Warcraft.
I am not concerned about it running in the background because thats the updater not some Wine hacker playing the fiddle alone in your Linux system.
I will say that the only software that will do you any good without Fing up Wine maybe Hackthis.
If you are concerned about speed and Wine then I will recommend not to try the Wine NT kernel because you will be running that extra kernel every time you use Wine and yes it can be more easily hacked with the potential of screwing up more than a Wine virus ever could.
I hope this helps.
peppyy

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jun 2008, 22:47    Post subject: Re: A way to speed up linux...
Subject description: ...That you prolly never would have thought of.

silverojo wrote:
SirDuncan wrote:
alienjeff wrote:
jesusfreak107 wrote:
I am willing to bet that pretty much every Linux user, except for some of the newbies, run Wine.

You lost the bet.

Twice.

Make that three times. Smile

Seriously, whenever I need to run a Windows program, I just boot into Windows. The programs never run quite right in Wine, anyway....

Shall we keep counting?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger 
d.preed

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jun 2008, 20:27    Post subject: Re: A way to speed up linux...
Subject description: ...That you prolly never would have thought of.

peppyy wrote:

Shall we keep counting?

Yep. Wink
mac84

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jun 2008, 21:13    Post subject:  

I have wine installed so I can play with it and I'm a newbie (learn what I can!) and also playing with ies4linux..... anyone have shockwave running??

but I also have Vbox setup with a small Windows server 2k3 installed to a 400mb vdi just to run basic programs that really don't work under wine.... shockwave and Yahoo! messenger.

I don't run this much as my puppy is a 4gig flash drive and to save the read and writes I'm using a 512mb thumbdrive to host my windows drive. so it works great for me. well whenever I "need" to use it.
earl

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jun 2008, 08:24    Post subject:  

I am new to Puppy Linux and find it perfect for my needs - to use a HP Omnibook 900B in the field where I am trying to build a geodesic dome.

Problem is I needed it to run MS Visio 2000 and had to dual boot Win xp. I tried Win 1.02 and it Worked!!!!

I have not been able to get Cadre Geo to work yet , it required .net 1.0, but thats ok as I saved the data files in a spreedsheet format and use scalc3 acceptably

The notebook is now windows free and being retired, I am costly update free!

Keeping an open mind - never know what you might learn...
jpeps

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul 2008, 00:37    Post subject:  

koolie wrote:
Run Windoze in VirtualBox for chrissake.

Problems solved!

For running only one or two programs, why would you want to load an entire OS in vmware? For example, I frequently run a financial management program that doesn't support linux, but works with wine perfectly; loads in seconds and runs as fast as in xp.

I suppose if I wanted to be a purist, I could avoid any hardware or software without linux support, but prefer the best of both worlds (I have a windoz PC for programs like quickbooks, transfer software for my sony reader, turbotax, etc...)

Edit: Regarding freeing up 1.88 gigs with a registry cleaner. On my machine, all the wine files together come to about 60mgs, so this doesn't make much sense. I'm doubtful that it needs to be "cleaned."
Unlike in windows, the registry file is very transparent. On my system,
it's a 36K file: ~/.wine/user.reg that you can click on and read with your editor.
pudgypup

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul 2008, 17:17    Post subject:    

The "you lose" bit has been attributed to Calvin Coolidge, at a dinner party some gregarious woman told him she'd made a bet that she could get him to say MORE than 2 words.
A similar story with Kipling: He was one of Great Britain's most popular and highly paid authors. It was reported that he received more per word than any other author of his day. Some university student as a joke sent him double that amount with a request for 2 of his best words. Kipling replied "Thank you".
Page 2 of 2 [23 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: