Gnumeric preview problems with pup400 [SOLVED]

Please post any bugs you have found
r__hughes

Gnumeric preview problems with pup400 [SOLVED]

#1 Post by r__hughes »

I have a frugal pup400 (2.6.21.7) setup.

I managed to get my Canon S520 printer working in pup400 by installing Turboprint (which I have used since pup108).

When the S520 is set to the default printer all prints from Abiword, gnumeric, Seamonkey are OK - no problems here - but when I tried to simplify printer selection list by deleting the original CUPS-PDF printer (which I would never normally use) I found I had disabled the Gnumeric printout preview which used a pdf viewer and was very very slow on my 700MHz IBM T22 Thinkpad.

------------------------------------------------------
re-edited 26jun2008
I forgot to ask - how do I reinstall the default CUPS-PDF printer???
Last edited by r__hughes on Wed 02 Jul 2008, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.
--- quad booting Slacko57NPAE, Slacko56NPAE, Slacko55PAE (with OO4, devx, Gimp) & WXP on DELL Dimension 2400 PC & DELL Latitude 630 Laptop using grub.
---USB-Flash booting same on Samsung N110 WXP Netbook and Lenovo q100 WXP netPC.

Aitch

#2 Post by Aitch »

hi r__hughes

you're in luck, I think - it looks the same as...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 3d9e57b64c

Aitch

r__hughes

#3 Post by r__hughes »

Thanks for the link Aitch - you saved my bacon. Since my /etc/cups/printers.conf already contained my working Canon S520 as tp0 I added the CUPS-PDF section to the beginning of it so it reads -

Code: Select all

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.1.23
# Written by cupsd on Fri Jun 27 21:43:44 2008
<Printer CUPS-PDF>
Info CUPS-PDF
DeviceURI pdf-writer:/export/share/pdf/
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>
<DefaultPrinter tp0>
Info Canon_S520
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>
then I rebooted pup400 & found that the cups printer selection page had added CUPS-PDF back but gnumeric still didnt give a print preview.
I made CUPS-PDF the default then rebooted & found that gnumeric DID give a print preview :) & that it continued to do so when tp0 was again made default on the CUPS printer selection page.
BUT
lpstat -d
showed that CUPS-PDF was still the system default printer (inspite of what was shown by cups) so I had to
lpoptions -d tp0
to set tp0 back to system default printer (to agree with cups)
HAPPILY
gnumeric continues to give a pdf printout preview --- phew!

I wonder why gnumeric print preview was made to use pdf - this is going to cause a lot of problems if users delete the cups CUP-PDF entry - or am I the only one who has experienced this?
--- quad booting Slacko57NPAE, Slacko56NPAE, Slacko55PAE (with OO4, devx, Gimp) & WXP on DELL Dimension 2400 PC & DELL Latitude 630 Laptop using grub.
---USB-Flash booting same on Samsung N110 WXP Netbook and Lenovo q100 WXP netPC.