KOffice 1.6.3 for 4.00 and 4.06 ***& 3.01*** New Version

Business software, financial software, etc.
playdayz

#31 Post by playdayz »

As I understand Bootmanager, if the box Ignore above user selection... is checked then Puppy will automatically load any sfs file that is in /mnt/home that has the same number as your version of Puppy. For instance, if the box is checked and there is a file named K-Office_400.sfs in /mnt/home then your Puppy 4.00 will automatically load it--but if you are using Puppy 4.06 then it will *not* automatically load it (hence the renaming). I think I have seen this misfire, which is why I suggest unchecking the box and Adding the properly named sfs file to the Right side, clicking OK and rebooting. However, it should also work to check the ox if the K-Office sfs is located in /mnt/home and the number matches your Puppy version.

I have checked this with default versions of Puppy 4.00 and 4.06 on frugal installs and Live-CD installs. As I understand it, there is a problem with using sfs files in a full install--not exactly a problem, it is just not meant to work in this way.

To help me check this out, if there is a problem could you please do the following checklist?

Puppy Version? 4.00 or 4.06 - only

Install method: frugal or Live-CD - only (USB should work but not tested - Full *should not* work)

K-Office_400.sfs or K-Office 4.06.sfs - must match Puppy version and be located in /mnt/home

Bootmanager shows K_Offifce_400.sfs or K-Office_406 in Right side

check /usr/share/applications/kde/ after reboot

Thanks for your troubleshooting

mikeb

#32 Post by mikeb »

Ok quick update...i managed to unpack with latest unsquashfs from debian then repack with older mksquashfs...now mounts ok..seems 3.3 incompatible with 3.1 .

regards

mike

mikeb

#33 Post by mikeb »

Quick update no2.......I can run kword in puppy 2.12 using the remade sfs.....all seems to work...open files/compose/print.....complains about desktop/mime type files in console but I don't think 2.12 uses them.

excellent

regards

mike

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#34 Post by Béèm »

So I could finally start to test KOffice and begun with a spreadsheet created in OOo. (ods)
Quite some sheets are present.
So I opened the Kspread and selected open.
After a while Kspead just vanished from memory.
The spreadsheet isn't that big, just 246KB.

I tried another then, much smaller.
It loaded, but as there are vlookup functions in there, I can't work with it in Kspread.

I tried a odt document.
That one loaded. It wasn't very big and just some text and scanned pictures.
Another one had a problem with the footer being on 2 lines instead of one.
Another was a two column table with overflow on several pages.
I only got the first few lines in the table cells.

Word documents .doc aren't accepted.

Slideshow .ptt aren't accepted.

There was no help. No wonder that the sfs file is smaller then the OOo's one. When comparisons are to made, it should be done with the same contents.

So not a comfortable start.
Probably when one starts with the Koffice environment, one can do the work which is needed to be done, but as with the Microsoft Office suite, one is trapped in the proprietary environment.
Koffice doesn't seem to support the odx formats fully. (yet?)
Last edited by Béèm on Tue 26 Aug 2008, 23:59, edited 1 time in total.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

playdayz

Console Messages to Ignore

#35 Post by playdayz »

According to the K-Office developers I talked to many of the K-Office messages are not critical, more in the line of information for the developers. I'm sure it would be great to get rid of them all, but my experience of KDE is that all of the apps pepper the screen with messages. That used to really bug me--it's what made me start looking at leaner, tighter programs and end up with puppy!

mikeb

#36 Post by mikeb »

Ok further info

On puppy 2.12 i updated libart_lgpl_2 and libstdc++.so.6.

Every application now launches. I've only tested kword in detail so far but I suspect I will get the same functionality as others are having on puppy 3 and 4.

So apart from the above and using an older version of mksquashfs this package is useable on older puppies. :) ..will test on 2.02 later.

Ooo one question....is it possible to do a little theming...the base color is full white and would be nice to tone it down a bit. I guess there is no theming in the package as such as its not meant to be a full kde setup.

Another observation is that what does function seems stable and runs at a fair speed...eg kword performs as well as say abiword.

regards

mike

mikeb

#37 Post by mikeb »

ok interesting spin off from this project.
I downloaded (debian) ktorrent as a test and it ran happily (on 2.12) using this packages kde elements...so possibility of further kde apps without the full kde desktop. :)

mike
Last edited by mikeb on Sun 09 Aug 2009, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.

ttuuxxx

#38 Post by ttuuxxx »

mikeb wrote:ok interesting spin off from this project.
I downloaded (debian) ktorrent as a test and it ran happily (on 2.12) using this packages kde elements...so possibility of further kde apps without the full kde desktop. :)

mike
Hi mike

Sure you can use just about any KDE application as long as you have the missing libs, I've been doing it for a few months now :)
If you look at my thread here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=105
You'll see that I made my own base, its 23MB and I can run Bibletime, Kword, KCPUload, Kdock, and a few others on it :)
If you wanted to try Kcpuload here's a pet package
to run it open a command line and type kcpuload
it automatically docks on Jwm & Icewm
and has a nice right click menu with options on the taskbar.
ttuuxxx
Attachments
kcpuload.png
(20.75 KiB) Downloaded 1649 times
CPU-Load-kde.pet
(53.59 KiB) Downloaded 1189 times
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

mikeb

#39 Post by mikeb »

Cheers for the info ttuuxxx.

Koffice package includes qt 3.3.8 too...so for anything that requires it eg vbox this is another space saver :)

regards

mike

mikeb

#40 Post by mikeb »

Ok dumb non kde expert question here.....

What is needed in addition to this package to have the kde desktop as well...looking at the contents list of the kde357.sfs posted a while ago it seems like nearly everything is there and since this package is behaving very well my curiosity and appetite have been stimulated

regards

mike

playdayz

K-Office for 3.01 as well as 4.00 and 4.06

#41 Post by playdayz »

In the first message in this thread I posted a link to a version of K-Office for Puppy 3.01 (Karbon is broken and I can't fix it). I also posted a link to a discussion I had with K-Office developers. Here's that link again

http://www.puppylinux.org/community/blo ... developers

Matu

#42 Post by Matu »

Hi playdayz,

thanks for your work on K-Office sfs files. Unfortunately I couldn't download the one for puppy 3.01. Clicking on the link gives me 403 error in FF3.

Matu

WhoDo

#43 Post by WhoDo »

Matu wrote:Hi playdayz,

thanks for your work on K-Office sfs files. Unfortunately I couldn't download the one for puppy 3.01. Clicking on the link gives me 403 error in FF3.
Me too, but I use Seamonkey. Trying Save Link Target As only gives a 1kb download not 79Mb.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

playdayz

Download K-Offfice for 3.01 [Solved]

#44 Post by playdayz »

@WhoDo, Matu

I apologize for the inconvenience. I forgot to change the permissions on the file, so that I was able to download it in testing, but you couldn't. Thanks for letting me know.

mikeb

#45 Post by mikeb »

Hi playdayz
K-Office for Puppy 3.01 (Karbon is broken and I can't fix it).
have you tried updating libart_lgpl_2 (v20) and libstdc++.ao.6 (v9) in puppy 3

these stopped karbon working in puppy 2

regards

mike

playdayz

Thanks mikeb

#46 Post by playdayz »

Thanks mikeb, I had gotten libstdc++ updated, but not libart_lglpl. I am on my way to reboot and try--if it works you will probably hear my shout!

<Add> That was it!!!!! It looks like 3.01 is working 100% thanks to mikeb.

Here are my notes for whatever they are worth.
http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy400/K ... ckages.rtf

Did you notice anything odd about kchart--in 4.00 it crashes when opening a template but it will work opening a file. Or do you notice anything you did that I didn't do? thanks much for your help--oh, and is the version you have for 2.1x the same now as the 3.01 version? best.

mikeb

#47 Post by mikeb »

Oops ,missed question..
is the version you have for 2.1x the same now as the 3.01 version
yes...just made with squashfs 3.1.
Did you notice anything odd about kchart--in 4.00 it crashes when opening a template
When i first tried kchart it took about 40 seconds at 100% but did render the barchart. But when I tried today it struggled again but no chart just menu and lines. I have noticed kde apps once configs are set in /root that's it....any system changes are ignored eg adding aspell. Also one running one application can affect another...all very interdependant. So perhaps when i first tried i had tested applications in a particular order.

On a more irksome note it seems kword (not just this package but in any distro) has a problem opening rtf / doc / abw and pdf with a table in.
Example ...make a table...save it in one of those formats...reopen it and it will be messed up...but open the saved document in abiword /epdf and everything is as it should be.

regards

mike

mikeb

#48 Post by mikeb »

Ok to post on a positive note I added k3b which increased the sfs by 2.5Mb including cdrdao and cheerfully erased and burnt an audio CD from mp3 :)
Could be a worthwhile small addition.

regards

mike

playdayz

Great program I think

#49 Post by playdayz »

Awesome Mike, k3b was the first linux program that really got my attention as a great one. Did it involve any more than just adding the program file + cdrdao?

BTW, the K-Office developers were really stressing to me to work with KOffice2. Adding programs in KDE4, they said, was as simple as adding kde-libs, kde-runtime, and the program, for instance, Koffice2. I tried and it wasn't that easy ;-) But it should be easier than with KDE3 and K-Office 1.6.3.

What I think would be best would be to develop a basic kde pet or sfs (not to be confused with kde-base) that one could install and then add whatever programs one wanted as individual pets. thanks.

mikeb

#50 Post by mikeb »

Anything with k3b in the name + cdrdao + tox2cue/toc2cddb + libmusicbrainz....
all stolen from the kde357.sfs for puppy.(and got the desktop running too with a bit of merging but thats another story ) So generally is quite a moduler setup...adding apps just like any other package for puppy.

regards

mike