multiple puppies on one partition

Using applications, configuring, problems
cat

multiple puppies on one partition

#1 Post by cat »

Since I'm pretty addicted to Puppy at the moment I'm doing quite a bit of "puplet-surfing" to find out what can be done and what ways of doing things I like, so for ease of comparison I'm installing a few puplets to an otherwise unused desktop.

One thing I came across is that some releases allow putting all the files of a frugal install into a single directory and giving the pup_save.2fs an additional identifier. wNOPv0.2 and DCL2008 did so, and I have them now in two folders on the same partition, from where they automatically choose their own savefile (called pup_save-wNOP.2fs and pup_save-dcl.2fs) upon bootup. The same goes for Dingo.
TEENpup2008 did not offer me this choice, and I only get the frugal install working if I place all the files into the root of my partition. I also can't give the save file an identifier.

I'm not complainig, just curious (naturally :wink: ) why it works with some and with others it doesn't, and if there may be a possibility to tweak something so that it does work. Perhaps something to do with the version of the underlying puppy?

Any enlightenment appreciated.

erikson

#2 Post by erikson »

It all depends whether or not the particular Puppy version or derivative can be booted from grub with the psubdir= or PSUBDIR= parameter (case sensitive for some versions, not for other ones). This, in turn, depends on the implementation of the boot init script in initrd.gz, that has evolved over Puppy's history.

Best thing to do, I think, is to use Puppy's search tool
http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html
on the terms

Code: Select all

grub psubdir=
You'll find plenty of references for various versions (and possibly also some conflicting info). Good luck.
[size=84][i]If it ain't broke, don't fix it.[/i] --- erikson
hp/compaq nx9030 (1.6GHz/480MB/37.2GB), ADSL, Linksys wireless router
[url]http://www.desonville.net/[/url]
Puppy page: [url]http://www.desonville.net/en/joere.puppy.htm[/url][/size]

cat

#3 Post by cat »

Hey thanks, I'll give it a try!

ICPUG

#4 Post by ICPUG »

Multiple puppies on a single partition only really got easy from version 3.00.

Up until then psubdir did not work properly. This is why I really like version 3 and not version 2.xx.

psubdir still doesn't cope if you have multiple .sfs files. Anything beyond the pup_xxx.sfs and pup_zdrv.sfs have to be stored in the root of the partition.

Prior to version 3 you could always do some tricks to load multiple puppies but it wasn't a no-brainer.

ICPUG

cat

Thanks for enlightening

#5 Post by cat »

OK, so that's why. Thanks ICPUG, that was pretty much the answer I was after. So I guess getting Teenpup to accept a differently named savefile might be very tiresome :( (and probably just a bit beyond my current level :roll: ) But I'll get there one day (probably long after there's a Dingo-based Teenpup)
Another big thanks to erikson for the search link, it proved to be very convenient. :D

cat

vg1

#6 Post by vg1 »

Cat,

do you have a problem with teenpup2008 files on root partition, or do you ask out of interest only? Or would you like to keep all teenpup2008 files in a subdir for convenience?

What Erikson and ICPUG say is true, and a bit more complicated, but there's still a way to keep them all in a subdir, if that's what you want.

vg

cat

Interest + convenience

#7 Post by cat »

vg,

mainly out of interest.

I currently have a Teenpup frugal install in the / of my partition that works if I leave all the files there, but I'd still like to have them in a seperate folder. So if you know how to do that I'd be most grateful.

When I asked this in the Teenpup2008 thread nobody seemed to know, and my interest in why it works only with some was awakened.

vg1

#8 Post by vg1 »

Cat,

ok, I'll reply in the other thread so other teen2008 users can possibly benefit

cat

link to the Teenpup post

#9 Post by cat »

Just thought I'd place a link to the post in here so it can be easily found by others.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 583#202583

Thank you for sharing your wisdom! :D
I'm looking forward to the renaming post as well, but no need to hurry, I can't find the time to try any of it right now, anyway. :(