FatFreePuppy+hotpup+EZpup+Wbar one small detail [SOLVED]

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
wolfwatcher51

FatFreePuppy+hotpup+EZpup+Wbar one small detail [SOLVED]

#1 Post by wolfwatcher51 »

I have my puppy just about how I like it to work and look.

I think that this appeared after hotpup or wbar.

When i reboot puppy, I get a small window, black or dark in the upper left corner of the desktop along with a graphic in the taskbar that looks like a pair of gears, one larger than the other.

When I click on the gears, a bar lights up part of the taskbar, the window closes, or at least goes away. When I click again the lighted section of the bar goes out. The gears stay.

I hope this description is not too out there such that you do not get the picture. If you do, what is this? Possibly more importantly, how do I get rid of it permanently?

I am using fatfreepuppy 301 and icewm. I would like to configure an icon in wbar for reboot, but can not figure out what the call should be. Any help with these things would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Chris.
Last edited by wolfwatcher51 on Sun 11 May 2008, 05:36, edited 1 time in total.

bosley

#2 Post by bosley »

As far as i know "Icewm is even not a Window Manager".

Because I don't like icewm somebody else will help you, I think somewhat like icedock has to be installed.

That's the mcs-manager in xfce for.

HTH

big_bass

Re: FatFreePuppy+hotpup+EZpup+Wbar one small detail

#3 Post by big_bass »

wolfwatcher51 wrote:I have my puppy just about how I like it to work and look.

I think that this appeared after hotpup or wbar.

Hey wolfwatcher51

you did a lot of installs and edits
best thing start clean

save what you want first for your configuration *hand edited changes then

my repair JWM post
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 0&start=60

restore JWM pet
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... ch&id=9218

then try again its faster to start clean than patch :wink:

big_bass

wolfwatcher51

#4 Post by wolfwatcher51 »

Hello Big Bass,

EDIT woops...I ran the recovery pet.

Actually I had a ffpuppy install good to go until I ran the jwm [repair] pet, thinking it was for something else, big mistake. Messed up my puppy. I have another thread on it, but it seems to have run out of steam.

So, in the mean time, I renamed the pupsave file in the first ff and did another ff puppy install to another partition. Basically, starting from scratch/fresh.

After several tries, and erasing the pupsave file each time to get a fresh start, I got the above packages installed. Looks good and works. Only problem is the two gear icon on taskbar and it's window that opens very small at reboot. Is this the jwm entry referred to in another thread, where they had to make a fake bar in jwm or something like that?

What do you suggest I do now? Thanks in advance, Chris.

WhoDo

#5 Post by WhoDo »

wolfwatcher51 wrote:Looks good and works. Only problem is the two gear icon on taskbar and it's window that opens very small at reboot.
That window is the result of a timing issue with one of the automatic applications for IceWM. When you use Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to kill X and return to the prompt, if you restart X by using xwin starticewm at the prompt, the little window and its associated active task button will disappear.

I haven't quite worked out what program it is, yet, but I know it isn't icedock. Try changing the following in your startup file (Quicklaunch > Edit startup on taskbar): Change

Code: Select all

killall icewmtray
icewmtray &
To

killall icewmtray
sleep 1 && icewmtray &
Then reboot to see if the problem is solved.

Hope that helps
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

wolfwatcher51

#6 Post by wolfwatcher51 »

WhoDo, thanks for the reply.

I will try the edit and get back to you later this pm when I get home.

Are you familiar with wbar and it's workings? When I have wbar and a sky background, light blue with some white, wbar looks transparent. If I change backgrounds to something like dk grey to black gradient and reboot, I see a large rectangle around wbar in black. I changed again to med-dark grey and rebooted(?) and still had the black block. I am using prit1"s settings, if that helps. Is there a way to make it transparent, or at least a snapshot of what is under it like mrxvt (?) console does?

I would like to make a reboot icon for wbar. Would you by chance know what the command would be?

Thanks in advance, Chris.

prit1

#7 Post by prit1 »

@wolfwatcher51: The background for wbar is the black block sometimes because Wbar does not use true transparency. It takes a snapshot of the background and this is how it creates the effect. If you right click anywhere on the wbar, it will close it and then left click on the desktop the wbar will show up with the expected fake transparency.

I had made a reboot icon and program with few options like reboot, shutdown, exit to prompt etc for Macpup. This is present in the wbar on Macpup. I did this in MurgaLua and the program is called plogout. If you happen to have Macpup, you can just take it from /usr/sbin. But you will need the murgaLua_Dynamic in /usr/bin.

Here are the programs to run if you dont want a reboot/shutdown menu like Macpup.
Reboot - /usr/X11R7/bin/wmreboot
Poweroff - /usr/X11R7/bin/wmpoweroff

wolfwatcher51

#8 Post by wolfwatcher51 »

prit1,

I am blown away by how talented the people on this forum are. How in the world did you figure out the right click to close and force a new "snapshot"? That seems to be what happened when I right clicked in the black area. I read the wbar threads and tried to understand the code you provided. I did not see this, or at least recognize it. :)

I am glad that at least I saw that gekko-mrxvt used the "snapshot" to fake transparency and hoped wbar could do the same. Thank you for the reboot and power off command. Wbar came with a power off button and I tried to change it to reboot, but no luck.

Your plogout sounds very interesting. I even understand where you are directing me to go to find what I need. If I d'load macpup and burn the iso I can then see it's files. Which one has the /usr files and how can I get in to get them without doing a frugal install? Or, do I need to do the frugal install to get them?

Thanks in advance, Chris.

wolfwatcher51

#9 Post by wolfwatcher51 »

Hello WhoDo,

I tried you edit and it did not make the window go away. However I think I may have some info to help us. I usually do not just try things since I fear not being able to recover if things go bad.

However, when sleep 1 did not work, I tried sleep2 then sleep3. What I noticed was that the sleep 2 and 3 delayed the window just a tad and made it able for me to see that just before the window, there is a window? that looks like a blinky icon which gets covered by the blank window.

I forgot to mention that blinky does not show up in the tray anymore. Not sure if it was after EZpup, wbar, or hotpup. Possibly after hot pup, but wold not swear on it.
Anyway, when I tried sleep3, I also commented out the transparent blinky line to see if blinky would return to the taskbar. Instead, I got 2 blinky icon windows? just before the phantom window opened and covered them both, so now the blank window is twice as wide. I do not know if the blank window is some result of blinky or if they are two different problems, one hidden by the other.

I hope this helps you with extra info needed to solve this mystery. Good luck and thanks again, Chris.

EDIT******EDIT
Man, I am starting to scare myself here.
I went back to the startup file and looked again at the blinky entries. After killallicewmtray, there is a line killallblinky followed by lines for transparent, coppermine, vistablack5, aquamarine and GreenVista blinkies. All were commented out except GreenVista blinky.

I commented it out, saved,exited and rebooted. No quick flash of blinky icon in upper left of screen or the blank window which covers it. Nice?

I also see a few lines down a commented out line that says icedock needs a moment to start...
on the next line there is sleep2. Should this be on the end of the icedock needs statement rather than on the uncommented out next line? Would the sleep 2 cause some confusion to startup/puppy?

However, there is still no blinky in the taskbar tray, of course. Maybe blinky needs to be strated with different code, or in a different startup position, or possibly another part of puppy like rc.local or .ixintric? I probably should not even guess, too noob. Anyway, hope this helps, Chris.

prit1

Plogout - logout script used in Macpup

#10 Post by prit1 »

@wolfwatcher51: I did not have access to Puppy from my workplace and this is why I asked to download Macpup and take the logout script from there. Then I used a VM to boot puppy at work and made a pet out of the script. Try downloading the attached file and installing it. Once installed, you can just type "plogout" on the console and see if it works. If this works, you can add this to the wbar (/root/.wbar) by using:

i:/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/logout.png
c:/usr/sbin/plogout
t:logout
If you want to change "exit macpup" title, you need to edit the "/usr/sbin/plogout" script. Its pretty simple.

I did not test this pet except in the VM. So please do let me know if this does not work.

BTW,. i figured out the right click to close wbar and click to restart it by accident. :)

wolfwatcher51

#11 Post by wolfwatcher51 »

prit1,

Thanks for the pet. It works fine.

I see where, I think, the button colors are set, color xxx. These numbers are defined how exactly? It is not rgb, where can I go to get them?

When I get the colored block in wbar and I follow your instructions to right click inside it, it goes away and wbar is now "transparent". Why do we also need to left click on the desktop? When we do, are we supposed to click on wbar in the window that opens?

Thanks a bunch, Chris.

prit1

#12 Post by prit1 »

@wolfwatcher51: I didnt understand about the colors. But you can do a wbar -help on the console and you will get all options available.

You dont have to click where the wbar was (when you left click), you can click anywhere on the desktop and this will bring the wbar back. Just by trial and error.

WhoDo

#13 Post by WhoDo »

wolfwatcher51 wrote:After killall icewmtray, there is a line killall blinky followed by lines for transparent, coppermine, vistablack5, aquamarine and GreenVista blinkies. All were commented out except GreenVista blinky.

I commented it out, saved,exited and rebooted. No quick flash of blinky icon in upper left of screen or the blank window which covers it. Nice?
Ok, so it's clear that blinky is the one starting up too quickly. That's why you're getting the window instead of the blinky icon in the taskbar. Go back and uncomment the transparent blinky and remove extra lines until all you have is this:

killall icewmtray
sleep 1 && icewmtray &

killall blinky
sleep 3 && /root/my-applications/blinky-0.8-icewm/start-blinky -bg "" &
Use Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to kill X, then at the prompt type xwin starticewm to bring it back up. You should see blinky in your taskbar.

It may be that blinky needs to be recompiled for the later versions of puppy. It was last patched and compiled by MU for 2.15CE and a lot has changed since then.
wolfwatcher51 wrote:I also see a few lines down a commented out line that says icedock needs a moment to start...
on the next line there is sleep2. Should this be on the end of the icedock needs statement rather than on the uncommented out next line? Would the sleep 2 cause some confusion to startup/puppy?
No. It's correct the way it is. The line that starts "icedock needs, etc..." has a # at the front, which means it's just a comment and not a command. The sleep 2 line is the command to pause the apps for icedock until the icedock itself has loaded.

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

wolfwatcher51

#14 Post by wolfwatcher51 »

WhoDo,

That worked, until I rebooted. Window is back and blinky is gone from the task bar. Repeated the kill X, etc and window goes away and blinky shows up in the taskbar.

When you said remove everything except ......, you did mean remove all the blinky stuff except ...... correct? I left the icesound, icedock, etc. Right?

Thanks, Chris.

WhoDo

#15 Post by WhoDo »

wolfwatcher51 wrote:WhoDo,

That worked, until I rebooted. Window is back and blinky is gone from the task bar. Repeated the kill X, etc and window goes away and blinky shows up in the taskbar.

When you said remove everything except ......, you did mean remove all the blinky stuff except ...... correct? I left the icesound, icedock, etc. Right?
Yes. The icesound, icedock, etc should all be commented out anyway i.e there should be a # in front of those lines.

Take the sleep 1 && away from the icewmtray entry, and increase the sleep 3 on the blinky line to sleep 6. We're trying to force blinky to wait until icewmtray is ready before starting.

wolfwatcher51

#16 Post by wolfwatcher51 »

WhoDo,

OK, that did it! I have rebooted a couple of times and blinky is behaving itself. Thank you for sticking this out,Chris.

WhoDo

#17 Post by WhoDo »

wolfwatcher51 wrote:OK, that did it! I have rebooted a couple of times and blinky is behaving itself. Thank you for sticking this out
8) You're welcome, chris. Looking forward to seeing a screenshot of all your hard work appearing on the new website.

Cheers

wolfwatcher51

#18 Post by wolfwatcher51 »

prit1,

I have been using your plogout and it is the ticket. Thanks. :D

Today, I needed to exit to prompt and found that the command in plogout did not work. I searched the usual places and found the restart, poweroff and reboot commands, but could not see, or at least recognize, the command for exit to prompt.

Looking in plogout, I see you used exitprompt. Any idea what this command needs to be in puppy 301?

In /usr/sbin/plogout, lines 5 thru 15 show the buttons and show their color. The first four say color(219) and the last is color(1). If I want to change these colors, I would change the 219s or 1, right? What do these color numbers correspond to? They are not rgb, and I am pretty sure they are not hex either. So, please educate me, again. :D

Thanks, Chris.

prit1

#19 Post by prit1 »

@wolfwatcher51: Chris, I think "exitprompt" was a script and it must be somewhere in /usr/sbin or /usr/local/bin or /usr/bin. Check these directories. And copy this script over to 3.01 and it should do the trick.

Color codes 219 must be for the different options available and color 1 should be the exit button. I just got to it by trial and error. I am not very sure of all the different values.
[url=http://macpup.org][b]Macpup - The beauty of linux[/b][/url] [b] | [/b] [url=http://pritlog.com/][b]Pritlog - Simple blog app[/b][/url]

wolfwatcher51

#20 Post by wolfwatcher51 »

prit1

I checked for exitprompt in the directories you suggested. I also checked in /usr/x11r7/bin and no exitprompt. I also used pfind for exitprompt and exit prompt but no files found.

If you click on the puppy start bar, it opens a list of choices. One is exit to prompt, which works.

In windoze you can right click a file and choose properties. How do I see where exit to prompt button in puppy points to? Right clickdoes not work.

Thanks, Chris.