Equinox Desktop Environment

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
magerlab

#16 Post by magerlab »

and what about tray isertion function?

Eyes-Only

#17 Post by Eyes-Only »

Can't wait to try this out myself! I also have this on my Mandi 2008.1 but have only booted into it once, mainly because in Mandriva the fonts were just terrible (nearly unreadable) and neither did it pick up my menu, unlike all the other window managers/desktops that I have installed. Hmm... Plinej? Maybe you should contact Andy of Mandriva? They might have a job for ya? :lol:

Thanks for the gift Joshas and Plinej! Looking forward to playing with this tomorrow as it's too late tonight. >yawn<

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

cb88

#18 Post by cb88 »

@amigo did you make sure that you are compiling against dynamic libs? otherwise you are probably compiling statically which is the default for most fltk apps

30mb is kinda crazy for what it is...
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

Joshas

#19 Post by Joshas »

magerlab: Are you using some other panel or window manager with trayer, which might capture your Pidgin tray icon?

Eyes-Only

#20 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Joshas!

WOW! This is really neat!! :shock: It's the VERY FIRST EDE desktop I've ever been able to use ever! All the rest, as I'd commented above, had such horrendous fonting that for my poor vision it was simply unusuable as a desktop system. What did you do to clear it up? I've selected my own favourite fonts and they're nice and crisp---it's unreal! And the desktop environment is speedy, responsive... as if I were using my favourites, like Flux or IceWM!

This is just unreal! :D And Plinej? Two thumbs up on that menu maker as well! It worked like a charm picking up everything! I feel like a kid in a toy shop with unlimited funds today! LOL! :lol:

You guys who figure this stuff out really make life special for people like me who have no choice but to sit in front of a computer 16 hours a day (long story which some of you know). You have no idea how much I appreciate all your HARD works! If I had any funds at all I'd be throwing it all your way. Believe me.

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

trapster

#21 Post by trapster »

Been playing with this for a couple days now.
If freezes every once in a while, especially when trying to run lxpanel or gkrellm. Other than that, not too bad. I do miss the desktop right click menu and the easy virtual desktop access in the taskbar.
Back to fluxbox for me :)
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

Joshas

#22 Post by Joshas »

to Eyes-Only: Give your thanks to EDE team at http://equinox-project.org/ , they did all the hard work - I've only compiled and packaged it for Puppy.

Eyes-Only

#23 Post by Eyes-Only »

Just to give an update on this rather delightful desktop environment which I've been enjoying so much Joshas:

Originally I'd had this installed upon my Mandriva (Gnome) 2008.1 Spring and I disliked it terribly because: A) I couldn't get my font settings to stick and: B) I couldn't get it to duplicate my Mandi menu nor could I figure out how to. When researching the matter back then on the EDE homepage, if I understood them correctly, they didn't even have a script for updating the menus!! It had to be done through the manual menu editor which comes with EDE. (If I understood them correctly---I may not have which is frequently my problem.) Thanks to Plinej we here in Puppy don't have that problem!

Once again: Thank you Plinej for that!

I ended up having to re-install my Mandi partition a few months back and I never did get around to replacing EDE upon it. Where the experience hasn't always been so well I satisfied myself with my usual desktop of Sawfish/Lxpanel/ROX.

Last night I decided to re-install it on Mandriva. However, not knowing exactly what programmes it needed (unlike Gnome or KDE which I know reasonably well) I had to use the "metapackage". Imagine my surprise Joshas when that hauled in---are you ready for this one?!---265 megs of "essential apps and dependencies"! :shock: No problem of course. I mean---we ALL have terabyte drives now, don't we? :lol: (I sure don't!) Like I told my wife, "Isn't it amazing that I was able to get 'basically' the same thing on my Puppy for under 2 megs?!" (Yes, I realise it doesn't have xemacs. Like I'm going to need that?)

Ah! But how great it was to have Plinej's "EDE menu builder"! Despite being built for Puppy it worked like a charm on my Mandriva and I got a fully-populated menu!

Furthermore: I also run Parsix 1.5r1. Now Debian doesn't have EDE in our repos, or at least not that I've ever been able to find anyway. Perhaps they have the .deb of it on the EDE homepage but it doesn't matter. I'm much accustomed Joshas to turning .pets back to .tar.gz files and using them elsewhere, see?

So I likewise wanted you to know that your EDE Desktop, along with Plinej's menu builder, works just fabulous on Parsix/Debian as well! I've been using it the entire day and it's been rock-solid without a single crash nor error file written against it! :shock:

I've been VERY long-winded here. Moreso than usual. But I just had to lay the groundwork for the both of you to see this. Magnificent! Thank you both from the bottom of my heart.

Amicalement/Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*