Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 17 Sep 2014, 09:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
No WPA for RT2500pci
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
gtpeacock

PostPosted: Thu 22 May 2008, 20:57    Post subject:  No WPA for RT2500pci  

I really like Dingo, but when I tried to connect to my router, it says that RT2500pci driver is not capable of WPA. How can that be when every other distro handles it with no problem?
urban soul

Location: "Killing a nerd is not as much fun as ist sounds" B.Simpson

PostPosted: Thu 22 May 2008, 21:31    Post subject: Re: No WPA for RT2500pci  

gtpeacock wrote:
I really like Dingo, but when I tried to connect to my router, it says that RT2500pci driver is not capable of WPA. How can that be when every other distro handles it with no problem?
I always wanted to eliminate this popup, because it says the wrong thing. It should say: "RT2500pci driver is not listed in Puppy's database of supported WPA drivers."

You can setup WPA by hand if you like.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=159339#159339
see PART2 WPA there.
gtpeacock

PostPosted: Sat 24 May 2008, 22:40    Post subject:  

Thanks for the reply. I tried those instructions (actually, part 3 for my rt2500) and I get this every time I use the iwpriv command:

wlan0 no private ioctls

Any idea what this means and how I can make the iwpriv command work?
tempestuous

PostPosted: Sat 24 May 2008, 23:08    Post subject:  

The situation is really confusing with Ralink devices.
Puppy versions up to the 3.x series contain the "legacy" Ralink drivers which natively support WPA via "iwpriv" commands.
But Puppy4 contains the new "rt2x00" Ralink drivers which DON'T have native WPA support, but they do support WPA using wpa_supplicant with the "wext" -D parameter.
You can refer to my Wifi HOWTO to run the wpa_supplicant command, or wait for Puppy4.1 where Barry has tweaked the Network Wizard so the rt2500pci driver should be recognised as a valid driver for WPA.
davids45

PostPosted: Sun 25 May 2008, 03:19    Post subject:  

G'day,
I have had no problems with ndiswrapper and my rt2500 XP drivers with Pups 3 and 4 on two computers with rt2500usb cards - I expect the rt2500pci will be the same.

The main and first thing is to remove all references to the non-WPA Linux driver.

Before doing anything with wireless or network wizards, I black-list each Pup's rt2500 module using the (right mouse click) System>Boot manager configuration,
but also a rmmod <driver name> in /etc/rc.d/rc.local can work too. I've been known to do both.

Re-boot and check the rt2500 module is on the black-list with System>Boot manager. Do an lsmod too just to be sure the rt2500 is not running anywhere.

I next edit the /etc/wpa_supplicant.config file replacing the "defaults" with my wireless router info. and save this.

I have copied the inf. and .sys XP files for my rt2500s as an easy-to-find RALINK directory on my data partition (each new Pup uses this as I mount this data partition on start-up for each Pup). Put your XP drivers (inf & sys) together somewhere that suits you.

I now open the Set-up>network wizard>load module and use the More tab to set up ndiswrapper linked to the XP driver file. I still get confused with which button to hit in which order with the WPA wizard set-up but once it's working, I have not had any problem with Pup, WPA and the rt2500 devices.

Good luck.

David S.
gtpeacock

PostPosted: Sun 25 May 2008, 22:43    Post subject: Success!  

I was able to get it with the ndiswrapper instructions! Thanks for the help. Man oh man is this thing fast for an old Pentium III.
tempestuous

PostPosted: Sun 25 May 2008, 22:47    Post subject:  

davids45 wrote:
I have had no problems with ndiswrapper and my rt2500 XP drivers with Pups 3 and 4 on two computers with rt2500usb cards - I expect the rt2500pci will be the same.

Let's get something clear here: the "rt2500pci" driver is a native Linux driver, and is therefore fundamentally different to davids45's rt2500 WindowsXP drivers.

I encourage everyone to try the (true) Linux drivers before resorting to ndiswrapper.
Puppy is extremely well-endowed with Linux wifi drivers. In many other distributions these drivers are missing.

If we all resort to ndiswrapper, vendors will use this as an excuse to reduce the already low level of Linux hardware support, and maybe also fail to release their source code. This will hurt Linux users long term.
Being able to re-purpose a Windows driver (with ndiswrapper) is a short term workaround, not a true solution.
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Jump to: