TigerPup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#31 Post by Lobster »

dinky wrote:@ Lobster

Will definitely be porting this to Puppy 4, but will wait until Compiz-Fusion support is up and running. Also until I figure out what I'm doing building from unleashed. Re package support, I think I follow you. Unsure what txxine is about thought. Followed the link, but... is it a project for graphic interfaces, is it another installer? I'm interested, but not quite following that.

Thanks for your support Lobster!
~dinky
A roaring tiger sounds great . . . (unless you are lunch) :)

OK the tmxxine Light program is basically links to sfs and Pets
- these pages in fact which are mostly compiled for Puppy 4
http://tmxxine.com/wik/wikka.php?wakka=DingoAddons
The idea being that people now learn to tinker and tweak their own choice of addons . . .
So the latest tmxxine = Dingo + choice of software, backgrounds etc

I like very much what you have with Puppy 3.01 + compiz
I suggest you call the next version TigerPup 4 - if it is based on Puppy 4 or TigerPup 4.1 - this makes things simpler (usually)
I also would like to see a tiger splash screen and I do not know if a percentage loaded bar is possible (maybe Jeremy (pizzasgood) is working on that?)

:) Good luck Dinky
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

nic2109

#32 Post by nic2109 »

dinky wrote:@Nick

Re Pebble, that's odd. I've had no problems so far with the live cd from my site... how are you running it? Are you booting from the live cd, or are you trying a frugal install? With frugal you need to add some extra options to the boot script, but the live cd should boot right up. That might be a hardware problem, which in other words means I've got no idea. Try pizzagood's pebble forum, he created and is maintaining it.

Pebble: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26339
I'm using TigerPup from a short-cut frugal install. I mounted the .iso and copied the 4 relevant files into a folder and set up menu.lst accordingly. So I need to look up what to do.
dinky wrote:Thanks for all your feedback and bugfixing!
You exaggerate my contributions - so far they have been limited to sharing my ignorance!

And just to prove it ..... how should I mount an .iso file in TigerPup? The right-click mouse option 'Open with Mount' does nothing and I don't know what 'Other Application' to try.
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

CatDude

#33 Post by CatDude »

@ nic2109
nic2109 wrote: I'm using TigerPup from a short-cut frugal install. I mounted the .iso and copied the 4 relevant files into a folder and set up menu.lst accordingly. So I need to look up what to do.
If you are trying the splash version,
try adding vga=??? to the kernel line of your grub entry.

Here's mine

Code: Select all

# Linux bootable partition config begins
  title TigerPup-1.3splash (Frugal) at hda11
  hide (hd0,5)
  hide (hd0,6)
  hide (hd0,7)
  hide (hd0,8)
  hide (hd0,9)
  hide (hd0,11)
  hide (hd1,0)
  unhide (hd0,10)
  rootnoverify (hd0,10)
  kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd acpi=force vga=785
  initrd /initrd.gz
# Linux bootable partition config ends
Choose one of these:

VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x64k
vga=791
VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x32k
vga=790
VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256
vga=773
VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x64k
vga=788
VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x32k
vga=787
VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x256
vga=771
VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x64k
vga=785
VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x32k
vga=784
VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x256
vga=769
Hope that helps

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

dinky

#34 Post by dinky »

Thanks catdue, vga=785 is what TigerPup was originally configured with, though I'm sure other options would work fine as well. Nick, that should fix your problems, let me know how you go. And ignorance IS bugfixing! At least the first step. I'm hoping TigerPup will turn into something easy for anyone to use, which means I need to know about all the current holes. Basically, if you have to ask it, it needs to be in the documentation, which doesn't actually exist at the moment...lol. I might look into setting up a wiki specific for TigerPup, so all these questions can be recorded for future use...

Re mounting an iso file, there are a couple ways. The easiest is to right click on it, and click 'filemount'. This should mount it automatically. To unmount it, do the same thing. From the command line, type "mount path-to-file /mnt/data" This will mount it at /mnt/data, however you can put it anywhere. I'm not sure how it unmount it like this though, and for some reason mounting Puppy 4 only works from the commandline. Good lick.

nic2109

#35 Post by nic2109 »

dinky wrote:Thanks catdue, vga=785 is what TigerPup was originally configured with, though I'm sure other options would work fine as well. Nick, that should fix your problems, let me know how you go.
I got on fine 'cos the vga=nnn option worked thanks.

But what it gave me wasn't quite what I expected - could be more ignorance on display here. It showed a nice blue graphic for a while which then cleared showing the progress messages so far on the usual black background, and then came the tiger and then the desktop. I was rather expecting the progress messages to show while the splash screen was displayed - in a window perhaps.

Was this excessive optimism, or should I have seen them and it's a bug?
dinky wrote:Re mounting an iso file, there are a couple ways. The easiest is to right click on it, and click 'filemount'.
Thanks, but that's what I did try but didn't work. :cry: I'm pretty confident that this IS a bug.
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

dinky

#36 Post by dinky »

HI Nick, perhaps excessive optimism? Lol...

Pebble works currently by hiding all the bootup text, then ending to display it very briefly before going into the graphical boot sequence (that's the tiger, etc.). Currently therre is also no way to kill it once it starts. While a huge step, it is still very basic.

Re the image that shows, there should be a blue background, but it should have a cool paw print logo, and say 'Booting Puppy Linux'. Did you get this? If it's not working properly, I'd suggest two options.
1. Disabling it. Append your grub line to: pfix=nosplash vga=normal
2. find something better, then let me know what it is!

Re mounting the iso, have you tried from the command line? Also, right click, open with "open with other application", and type in "filemnt". Does this change? Otherwise try the command line. I agree it sounds like a bug, however in the rebuild I'm making, it's working fine. Still in beta, but I might post it up soon, as it's working better than 1.3. Cheers.

dinky

#37 Post by dinky »

Just posted up a test version of 1.4, see then first page for a list of updated features. This is still in beta, with lots of bugs I'm still fixing, however it's replaced my default desktop. Lots of new features added, though the size has increased to 199Mb. This will shrink when I rebuild from unleashed, though I want the remastered version stable first. Would love some testers to give me feedback!
Two questions:

1. Am wanting to change the number version, currently it seems too confusing. Lobster recommended using numbers 3 and 4 for puppy 3.01 and Puppy 4 releases. My thoughts are this: when the remaster of wNOP version is finished, to call that TigerPup version 2. Everything until then is still in beta. When I finish first rebuild from unleashed under Puppy 3.01, that will be TigerPup 3, and next rebuild under Puppy 4 will be TigerPup 4. Is this a better idea?

2. The documentation is going to take ages if I'm doing it myself. I'd like this to be an integral part of TigerPup, so someone who knows nothing about Puppy, Linux, or computers will find it easy and fun to use. Would anyone like to help make them? I'd like to create a PDF file with weblinks that can be opened up, that will tell newbies how they can use TigerPup, and send them to links on the internet (once walking through how to set up internet connection). I'd like to include a features list, how to use them, etc. This will include wbar, navigation with thunar, the works. Is anyone interested in starting/helping with this project? My hope is that eventually there will be enough information it will become relevant to other pupplets as well. Cheers!

Meshica7

Wbar question for Dinky

#38 Post by Meshica7 »

Hello Dinky!

I am running TigerPup from a usb stick and love it! I re-installed Wbar in order to get it to show instead of having it hide below the bottom of the screen.My question is what is the path to My-Documents? I want to add an icon in Wbar that will do the same as the Gnome icon does in the original TigerPup Wbar.

Also,does anyone know where Thunderbird resides? I did "Which Thunderbird" in the terminal but get no return.Tried "Mozilla Thunderbird" as well. I am wanting to add an icon in wbar for this.

Thanx heaps and keep up the great work! :D
Thanx!

[url=http://juanrleon.tripod.com/]Juan[/url]
Teen Pup 2008,Wbar, OSX Icons."Teen Mac Pup"?
TigerPup on usb stick with modded Wbar & Mac4Lin Emerald theme
OS X Tiger on a Power Mac G3
System 7 on a Macintosh Plus (old skool baby!)

dinky

#39 Post by dinky »

Hi Meshica, glad you like it. My Documents is in /root/my-documents/
Can you post a screenshot of you rdesktop for us? At some point I'll probably make a pet package for people who prefer a wbar not hidden.

Thunderbird isn't installed by default in TigerPup, you wil have to find it. Have you tried looking in the Petget manager, or in the Puppy Software Installer? Cheers.
~dinky

Koder

#40 Post by Koder »

Hi. Tiger is Fantastic! :D
You are right on with your Puppy Compiz Distro, as I believe that Compiz and other similar innovative projects are a very good way to present and achieve a more lasting user involvement. Really nice to have PSI and I installed Gslapt, which does great. Posting here with Live Multi-session CD and latest Firefox. Listening to Paradise Radio with Streamtuner....really great! Will be installing more Multimedia and Internet Apps and I expect more good results. You mentioned uploading a new Beta, but all i see for now is just Test folder, but I'll definitely try a.s.a.p.
I appreciate what you do, but don't forget to get some sleep sometime. :wink:

dinky

#41 Post by dinky »

Hi Koder, thanks for the compliments. The test version of TigerPup 1.4 is in the test folder. You can also click here: http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/tigerp ... _4test.iso

Great ideas with all your addons, can you make a list for us? I'll try and make an sfs file for with them for an add-on. In 1.4 you can do it yourself, or download MU's sfs-combiner. And yes, I'm getting lots of sleep! Actually, I'm really busy with my theatre company, and am stealing minutes here and there to work on TigerPup. I like sleep....lol.

Meshica7

#42 Post by Meshica7 »

dinky wrote:Hi Meshica, glad you like it. My Documents is in /root/my-documents/
I added the following to the wbar file:

i: /usr/share/SuperGPLIcons/Reflective_Icons_Leopard/home48.png
c: /root/my-documents
t: Home

However,when I click the icon I get nothing.
:cry:
dinky wrote:Thunderbird isn't installed by default in TigerPup, you wil have to find it. Have you tried looking in the Petget manager, or in the Puppy Software Installer? Cheers.
I installed Thunderbird but i still can't find it in my directories."Which Thunderbird" command still returns nothing.Very strange :? .

As promised,here is my TigerPup screenshot. I am sure Prit1 will like this!
Keep up the great work and keep us all posted. :D
Thanx!

dinky

#43 Post by dinky »

Hi Juan, easily fixed. You've put the path in wbar, but you have to tell it what command to open it with. use "c: thunar /root/my-documents" to get you out of trouble.

Neat theme! So that's mac4lin emerald theme? Where do I get it? I'll post it up on my site under extras.

Weird about thunderbird. Go to Pfind (if it's not on wbar anymore, under menu go to file>pfind) and type in "thunderbird". What do you find? Otherwise, try reinstalling it. Also, where did you get the apple icon for on the menubar?
~dinky

Meshica7

#44 Post by Meshica7 »

Thanx! that did the trick for My Docs and Thunderbird.
The Mac4Lin theme is originally a brushed metal theme.I adjusted the colors in the manager and saved it.I found it at XFCE Look.The append to the file needs to be renamed .emerald in order for Emerald to import it. Don't know why it is not named so by default.There's a ton of cool themes available.
I got the Apple icon at XFCE Look as well.I have attached 2 versions.They are both scallable and work great in Wbar.
BTW; Wbar does not show automatically at start up.I always have to right click to get it to show up.Any ideas?
I appreciate your help :D .
Attachments
tuxandapple.png
(22.09 KiB) Downloaded 1302 times
apple.png
(17.84 KiB) Downloaded 1317 times
Thanx!

dinky

#45 Post by dinky »

Thanks for that. Wbar starts by defualt in TigerPup, the start command is in "/root/.xinitrc". I'm guessing you must have changed that? Anyway, try putting this towards the bottom of "/root/.xinitrc", just before the window manager starts. You can play around with the sleep times to suit your system, they are in seconds. Once you make the edit, save it, then restart x server (ctrl+alt+bckspce)

Open /root/.xinitrc:

mousepad /root/.xinitrc
add your start line...something like this:

(sleep 12s && wbar -config /root/.wbar -above-desk -bpress -balfa 0 -zoomf 1.75) &
Save and restart xserver. Good luck!

Koder

#46 Post by Koder »

Hi. Running New Beta and I jumped about 2 feet upon loading, as that Growl Sound appeared as if inside the Room.....Touche' Lobster. :roll:
Great new look...Icons and colors. The previous version's Save file worked like a Charm. :D

Thanks for all you do. :)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#47 Post by Lobster »

dinky wrote:The documentation is going to take ages if I'm doing it myself.
You need cubs:

OK this is the stub for cubs to frolick in . . .
http://www.puppylinux.org/wiki/archives ... s/tigerpup

there is a problem adding images at the moment - so gonna report that . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

dinky

#48 Post by dinky »

You are wonderful Lobster! Have been editing the wiki tongiht! Will make a few changes, then post up the finished version... at least for now. Have added some recent screenshots, and decided to post TigerPup 1.4 soon as the next release. Everything is in beta now anyway, hopefully this will help sort out the bugs faster.

So, my download site now works like this: http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/tigerpup is the main download site, under which is are folders 'current' and 'test'. All current TigerPup's will be under 'current', and test releases under 'test'. Am not going to worry too much about test for now, that will be for later. Enjoy folks, the next release available shortly... oh yeah, and hang with me, there might be some more bugs that need to be sorted for a few weeks...

dinky

#49 Post by dinky »

Right. Just updated the wiki. Thanks Lobster! The wysiwyg editor there really sucks... If anyone is able to fix it up I'd be greateful. Was trying to simply centre the screenshots, they weren't happy... :evil:

Otherwise, if anyone would like to add their take on TigerPup to the comments in the wiki, have at it! Cheers!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#50 Post by Lobster »

centered :)
but enough about me . . .

also centered the pics . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)