Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 20 Apr 2018, 03:24
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
TigerPup
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 11 of 13 [191 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
runtt21

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jul 2008, 03:29    Post subject: clock  

How can I get rid of the analog clock?
dinky

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jul 2008, 03:58    Post subject:  

@runtt21
I'm assuming you mean permanently. Go to TigerPup Menu>Settings>Autostarted Applications and untick Clock (Analogue Clock). This will stop it starting on reboot, and launching X. To just disable it for a session, right click and Quit.
runtt21

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jul 2008, 09:41    Post subject: thanks  

Thanks for the reply,yes you 're corret,I want it gone.
recycler

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jul 2008, 20:45    Post subject: what a Great Puppy  

Thanks for Tigerpup Smile really like it....
all going well on a P3 and two P4s - very impressed with the 3D effects. One machine boots it from a USB pen with a wakepup floppy (motherboard no longer supports hard drives) and two frugal installs. 3D cards are Nvidia 5200FX

Truly a puppy with power!

Puppy 412 and 430
dinky

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jul 2008, 06:46    Post subject:  

Hi recycler, glad you like it! I'm working on the next release now. If you have any feature requests, I'd love to hear them. Cheers!
~dinky
recycler

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jul 2008, 02:34    Post subject: Tiger Pup
Subject description: ideas for the next release?

It seems Tigerpup is very good on graphics so I suggest you develop that. My children enjoy using The Gimp so would be good to still have that. I am very taken by Opera so please keep that. A favourite addition of mine to puppy is 'picassa'. I was very pleased to find it as a PET since I first started using it through Wine which is alays a bit fiddly. I like the way that Tigerpup fits on a mini cd - are you planning to keep it a similar size and is it still based on the 3 series puppy? Personally one thing I appreciated was that it sucessfuly installed my Xscrabble.pup package - it rarely works now - missing libraries

My wish list for the next Tigerpup has only one essential thing on it though - Amarok. I was using it on a different linux distro this week and was very impressed with the range of visualizations it could do. If it is possible to make it work with Puppy that would be impressive. I have no idea how difficult that could be so it is just a wild idea so far as I'm concerned.

But Thanks for Asking! And I look forward to seeing the next version - however it turns out.

ps also showed tigerpup to a fellow fan of Puppy Linux here in Coromandel (New Zealand). They were extremely impressed too. Smile

Puppy 412 and 430
dinky

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jul 2008, 19:50    Post subject:  

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, Amarok is a great program. I don't think it's hard for it to run in puppy, though as it's kde based you'll need to be running kde also... that can get messy, and very big. I'm unlikely to unclude this in TigerPup, as it would mean switching to a kde desktop environment instead of xfce... thus slowing it down, and making the size huge. There are kde sfs addons around though, it wouldn't be hard to download and try one... it's possible they might already have amarox in them.

I'm wanting to keep TigerPup's small size, and am thinking seriously about shrinking it. I may end up basing it around an sfs file add-on, so that the base size is very small, with an sfs file for lots of extras and added functionality. Still have to test that idea out... we'll see...

Currently I'm planning for the next release to be based on puppy 3.01, but after that will be looking at rebuilding from unleashed in Puppy 4. Thanks again for the feedback!
~dinky
jeepinpete

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jul 2008, 23:35    Post subject:  

Dinky, is there a way to get the rotating cube effect when switching desktops? I've tried playing with settings-compizconfig settings manager. The rotating cube option is checked, but doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

As a matter of fact, some of the other effects in compiz seems to not to be working either, such as wobbly windows...

Thanks,
Pete
dinky

PostPosted: Fri 01 Aug 2008, 03:13    Post subject:  

Hi Pete... interesting... I wonder if Compiz-Fusion is enabled at all. Easiest way to check it to look at your windows. Do yu have mac-like traffic light window buttons in the top left of your window frame, or x and o's in the top right? If it's the second, Compiz-Fusion isn't enabled.

Re rotating cube for switching desktops, that's easy. Hit ctrl+alt+right arrow. This will rotate the cube as it switches to another desktop.
Linux is a multi desktop operating system by default. However, Compiz-Fusion works by recognising one desktop, and creating that a a cube, thereby splitting it into 4. I.e., if you choose 2 desktops under Xfce settings, you will then have 2 cubes... each with 4 destops. You can also set the shape of yur desktops quite easily.... 3 for a 3 dimensional triangle, 6 for a hexagon... etc. Not sure what the maximum is but it's alot. Let me know how you go.
~dinky
ragaman

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug 2008, 10:55    Post subject: Wbar Question  

Hi, dinky. I'm really impressed with the tigerpup. It's now installed on my laptop. However, I have a question. How do I make the wbar appear on top of all the other windows? When I have an application window open, the wbar stays below/behind it so i have to minimize all open windows in order to use the wbar.

Another problem was the Flash Player for Opera/Firefox. I tried installing it but i would get this error:

ERROR: Your glibc library is older than 2.3.
Please update your glibc library.

I successfully installed this package from debian repository:

glibc-source_2.7-10_all.deb

but still get the same error. How do I update glibc?

Thanks and more power to you.
jeepinpete

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug 2008, 12:34    Post subject:  

dinky wrote:
Hi Pete... interesting... I wonder if Compiz-Fusion is enabled at all. Easiest way to check it to look at your windows. Do yu have mac-like traffic light window buttons in the top left of your window frame, or x and o's in the top right? If it's the second, Compiz-Fusion isn't enabled.
~dinky

Well, its not enabled then, which would explain why it isn't working Laughing What is the trick to enabling it?

Pete
dinky

PostPosted: Sun 03 Aug 2008, 18:55    Post subject:  

@ ragaman... that's the big question... currently, it's not seemingly possible with xfce. There were some creative solutions with JWM, but under xfce, and most other desktop environments, wbar is only on the desktop...sorry. Let me know if you find a solution to that. Otherwise, try Cairo-dock, if compiz-fusion is working. I didn't like it much, and haven't included it in TigerPup for several reasons, but this will do what you want. Cheers.

@jeepinpete
Check the wnop forums, I don't know. If compiz-fusion doesn't work initially from startup, it's likely something to do with your card. Let us know if you figure it out.
~dinky
dinky

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug 2008, 23:20    Post subject: Developers needed...  

Hi folks, firstly thanks to everyone who has been part of the TigerPup project. It's exciting to see the number of people using this pupplet, and all the encouragement I've received. For TigerPup to continue though, I'm going to need help.

Various people have asked when the next release is coming out, and when will TigerPup be rebuilt from Puppy 4. I'd like to reply 'soon', but time is at a premium for me right now and I've no idea when I'll be able to sit down and do it. I'm the father of a two year old boy, and my wife and I have another coming in about 5 weeks... I'm also running a busy theatre company, and haven't had much time to sit down to develop software.

That said, I'd like to keep TigerPup going. I'm happy to continue heading the project, tying things together and pushing out new releases, but I'll need other people to help with the work. Here's a list of things that need doing:

- New icon set developed
(d.preed was working on this, contact him to see how far he got)
- New image for Pebble splash screen. Needs to be in jpeg format.
- New image for xfce splash screen
- init edited so flash sd cards are recognized for pupmode 13
- sfs add-ons created for common programs... I've been working on an office pack, etc, and would welcome the help.
- Intermediary screen setup for when the user leaves X... ie., hitting ctrl+alt+bckspce. I want a screen saying what's happened, and if they really want to drop to the command line, or restart X instead.
- Intermediary screen set up when a user boots TigerPup after a crash... asking if they want to drop to the command line, or boot normally. Pizzasgood had some ideas about this, and has implemented something similar in Pizzapup. I can send the script edits he recommended to anyone wanting to test this... i don't have the time.
- splash screen based on a graphical grub for the live cd... catdude has made some excellent headway for this, mainly we need people to follow through and do it.

Most of this stuff I've started, and can send details to people wanting to follow through. I'll post more here as it's needed. Feel free to either respond to this forum or PM me. Cheers!
~dinky
ragaman

PostPosted: Sun 17 Aug 2008, 21:45    Post subject:  

Hi dinky.

Finally able to replace Wbar with Cairo-Dock using packages from this thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=55744938&t=26488

and using pets from this site:

http://www.puppylinux.ca/members/Cairo-Dock/
dinky

PostPosted: Mon 18 Aug 2008, 04:45    Post subject:  

Great. Let us know how you like it. I found Cairo Dock a bit disappointing for functionality, but really cool eye candy. I decided against it for the main TigerPup release, simply because TigerPup is also intended for computer's that can't support Compiz-fusion. Have been using Avant Window Navigator in Ubuntu Studio though, and really enjoying it. Very cool program, I'd like to compile a version for TigerPup, and perhaps look at including it by default for eeetiger. Cheers!
~dinky
Page 11 of 13 [191 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: