Ndiswrapper compile

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Locky

Ndiswrapper compile

#1 Post by Locky »

Hello,

I have NOP 4 based on dingo. I have downloaded the dev_400.sfs file. I would like to compile a new version of ndiswrapper for my wireless card. I know the latest build of ndiswapper supports it and it doesn't work at the moment. Tips before my first compile with puppy?

make uninstall
make
sudo make install
cd xxx/ndiswrapper-xxx/
ndiswrapper -i XXX.inf

Does this look right with dev_400.sfs loaded?

It gave the following error after the make uninstall and then the make command.

sh-3.00# make
make -C driver
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/build/ndiswrapper-1.51/driver'
Makefile:35: *** Cannot find kernel version in /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/build, is it configured?. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/build/ndiswrapper-1.51/driver'
make: *** [all] Error 2
sh-3.00#

The file /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/build does not exist. How do I specify the kernel version or is there an option I should add to the make command?

I looked in the make file but could not see where to modify.

Note I have already posted this in the NOP thread but perhaps this is a more appropriate place to get feedback.

Thanks
Locky
Last edited by Locky on Thu 19 Jun 2008, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.

Locky

#2 Post by Locky »

bump please reply

Everitt

#3 Post by Everitt »

As you've discovered ndiswrapper is kernel dependant, which is hardly supprising considering what it does. Unfortunately the kernel source is pretty big, so can't really be inclued in the devx.sfs file. (Hey, it's already bigger than the basic form of our beloved OS!)
The files you need are in the kernel source sfs. If I recall correctly the 2.6.21.7 build uses the same kernel as the 3.x series, so the file you'll need is ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... rc_301.sfs.
Put it with devx_400.sfs, and rename to kernel-src_400.sfs, reboot and try again.

One other note, in Puppy you're running as root, so there is no need for sudo.