SciTE 2.0.1 - advanced text editor

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
ITAmember

SciTE 2.0.1 - advanced text editor

#1 Post by ITAmember »

In my quest for a lisp friendly text editor I came across this one. It supports a wide variety of languages (including lisp) and has lots of features. However, it runs a tad slow on my 550MHz AMD-K6-2+ :(. I posted the package incase someone with a faster machine wants to try it out. The text editor pet, it's three dependency pets, and a readme are in the tar file.

amigo

#2 Post by amigo »

I've used SciTE forever and only have two gripes about -that very, very long lines are hard to scroll over and see then end.
And that it suffers a fairly common glitch with syntax highlighting -apparently geany suffers the same problem as I have seen something like 'Damn Geany GRRRR' in Barry'S scripts where he'S done the same thing I (ocassionally) have and insert an extra # or ' to not mess up the highlighting.

I use a much older version(1.60), though, which uses GTK-1.2 libs, so it is plenty fast.

ITAmember

#3 Post by ITAmember »

How do I make SciTE run faster on GTK+?

The default settings for SciTE were changed in version 1.63 to use the Pango font system and antialiased fonts. You can return to using X core fonts which are faster with these settings:

font.base=font:lucidatypewriter,size:12
font.small=font:lucidatypewriter,size:10
font.comment=font:new century schoolbook,size:12
font.code.comment.box=$(font.comment)
font.code.comment.line=$(font.comment)
font.code.comment.doc=$(font.comment)
font.text=font:times,size:14
font.text.comment=font:lucidatypewriter,size:10
font.embedded.base=font:lucidatypewriter,size:12
font.embedded.comment=font:lucidatypewriter,size:12
font.monospace=font:courier,size:12
font.vbs=font:new century schoolbook,size:12

Line wrapping also slows SciTE down and this can be turned off with wrap=0.
http://www.scintilla.org/SciTEFAQ.html#SpeedUpGTK

Except when I do that it doesn't run any faster, just makes the fonts more readable. :( I'll keep working on it...

ITAmember

#4 Post by ITAmember »

Scratch that, it runs much faster when I change the lines, I messed up the first time I tried so I didn't notice a difference.

jojpa54

#5 Post by jojpa54 »

Bonjour,

j'ai testé sous Puppy Linux 4.31 et ça fonctionne parfaitement bien !

Merci !

J'ai mis en français ...

voici ma contribution ici
[url]http://blogjpa.free.fr/blog/index.php?Linux-puppy[/url]

terrywa

Problems after SciTE installation

#6 Post by terrywa »

I just installed SciTE and have discovered that DropBox no longer works. I presume it's because of one of the libraries conflicted with some other library.

How do i diagnose this problem?

thanks

DMcCunney

#7 Post by DMcCunney »

amigo wrote:I've used SciTE forever and only have two gripes about -that very, very long lines are hard to scroll over and see then end.
And that it suffers a fairly common glitch with syntax highlighting -apparently geany suffers the same problem as I have seen something like 'Damn Geany GRRRR' in Barry'S scripts where he'S done the same thing
SciTE and Geany are both built using Neil Hodgson's "Scintilla" text editor control, which provides the code folding and syntax highlighting features.

See http://www.scintilla.org/ for information about Scintilla, and http://texteditors.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl? ... itorFamily for some other editors that also use it.
______
Dennis

amigo

#8 Post by amigo »

I looked once to try and find the source files which setup the shell syntax and highlighting, but had no luck -didn't look very hard. Whereas most languages have separate tex files which control the syntax rules, shell and a couple of others seem to be built-in???