Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 19 Jun 2018, 01:34
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Bogus PPZIP support in WakePup2
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 7 of 8 [113 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Crash

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul 2008, 00:13    Post subject:  

otropogo wrote:

And yes, after removing your "rem", I now get the same initial result as with the original pcmcia.bat

I'll fix the omission of the amsida ASPI driver the next time I edit the pcmcia.bat file. Isn't it like Murphey's law that the one that I goofed up on was the one you needed!

otropogo wrote:

One thing I wonder about is what business all of these SCSI drivers have in a pcmcia function.

No, they aren't all necessary for PCMCIA, but they are nice for SCSI support in general.

Some ASPI (SCSI) driver thoughts:

The choice of ASPI drivers seems influenced by Bart's work. I repeat some information from his web site (I cannot confirm the accuracy of this information):

from "http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/scsitool/":

aspi2dos.cab AIC-6260/6360/6370 ASPI Manager for DOS

aspi4dos.cab AHA-1540/1542/1640 ASPI Manager for DOS

aspi7dos.cab AIC-7770 ASPI Manager for DOS

aspi8dos.cab AIC-78XX/AIC-75XX ASPI Manager for DOS

aspi8u2.cab AIC-7890/91 ASPI Manager for DOS

aspi8xx.cab ASPI manager for Symbios 53C8xx host adapters

btdosm.cab BusLogic DOS SCSI Manager

dcam18xx.cab Future Domain 18XX/36XX SCSI IC-based Controller

flashpt.cab BusLogic FlashPoint SCSI Manager

aspi910u.cab Initio INI-9XXXU/UW ASPI Manager

aspia100.cab Initio INI-A100U2W ASPI Manager

amsida.cab AMD PCscsi ASPI Manager for DOS
Also known as: Qlogic Fast!SCSI Basic, Tekram DC-390, Dawi DC2964F

ipsraspi.cab IBM ServeRAID DOS ASPI Driver
Created by Ronald Peterson

Note all of these are on the Wakepup2 disk. In addition to these, Wakepup2 also contains aspifcam.sys.

How many are really needed? Actually, only the one that works with your particular hardware!

The Windows 98 startup disk contains:

btdosm.sys
flashpt.sys
aspi2dos.sys
aspi8dos.sys
aspi4dos.sys
aspi8u2.sys

But the Win98 startup disk doesn't support PCMCIA at all. It is a minimal set, probably an 80% solution.

If you know which driver you need, I could have the program unzip it to the floppy's /driver directory the first time you use it, then use the file on the floppy from there on. Of course the danger is that if you do this with enough different drivers, eventually the floppy will fill up. But for one or two drivers, this seems like a good compromise. First time use would be a little slow, but after that it would be acceptable.

Then there is the issue of Kernel support...

Anyway, I'm still messing with the more mundane aspects of this, like getting my CF memory to boot in the PCMCIA adapter card. If I ever get that working, it would seem to be a handy way to boot up these older laptops. It's just these darn "too modern" computers that I'm stuck with - some of them can't even boot up FreeDOS. Very disconcerting. They like MS DOS, though. Is there a conspiracy in motion here?
Aitch

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul 2008, 09:01    Post subject:  

Quote:
.....like getting my CF memory to boot in the PCMCIA adapter card. If I ever get that working, it would seem to be a handy way to boot up these older laptops.

I don't think you realise just how useful that would be to lots of old lappys - yes please, crash!!

Can you ensure, please, that you include capability for CF microdrives, these are cheap & easy to use, both as puppy repository, and swap, without usual CF concerns, and they aren't that slow, either - try one

ebay 4Gb microdrives

though there are plenty of other sources/sizes

Aitch
pistoi0

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul 2008, 10:37    Post subject:  

My apology for a tardy response. But now I must back down from the claims I made a few weeks ago about booting PCMCIA devices ( a USB drive and also a USB CF card reader) with Wakepup. After about two days such booting became iffy, then impossible.

What success I briefly had came from using Yet Another Wakepup! This was an accident because I also had a collection of various Wakepups, and had updated that version with the Autoexec.bat, config. sys and the pcmcia. bat. Here's what I did:

1) "New Menus and Drivers"
2) "7. User-select USB drivers."
3) "1. USBaspi.sys. ver 2.20"
4) "1. "ASpi sys disk.sys"
5) Finished with "Wakepup 2.0.3 Press any key to contine... Select Puppy 2 boot mode."
6) "1. NORMAL Normal Boot."

Now, when I do the above, I get the infamous "pup_xxx.sfs not found."

I assume I had lost track of the combinations and permutations of Wakepups and the various .bat and .sys. and that led to the failure.

However,@ Crash, I can load from PCMCIA through the computer's native 1.0 USB port, using any of my various Wakepups. I use a 7-year old Lexar Media card reader with three different CF cards ranging from 256 meg. to 1 gig. The bonus is that it loads at USB 2 speeds.

Finally, I am grateful to Otropogo for bringing abut this discussion -- and sticking with it -- as well as Crash for all his attentive and patient work.
otropogo

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul 2008, 10:52    Post subject:  

pistoi0 wrote:
Finally, I am grateful to Otropogo for bringing abut this discussion -- and sticking with it -- as well as Crash for all his attentive and patient work.

Thanks for your detailed report.

I also applaud Crash's continuing efforts, and hope he's going to soldier on to eventual success with both parallel port and pcmcia while Barry tackles the LS-120.

My next attempt will be to access the Backpack parallel port CD-ROM with Wakepup2.
otropogo

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul 2008, 11:19    Post subject:  

pistoi0 wrote:

Thanks for your detailed report.

I also applaud Crash's continuing efforts, and hope he's going to soldier on to eventual success with both parallel port and pcmcia while Barry tackles the LS-120.

My next attempt will be to access the Backpack parallel port CD-ROM with Wakepup2.
Aitch

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jul 2008, 13:58    Post subject:  

Definitely applaud crash's efforts

Got a Jaz drive? [also includes zip support]

I found one more good link whilst searching for jaz support

http://www.scripps.edu/~jsmith/jazip/

Quote:
Features in version 0.34:

* Support for Parallel, SCSI, and ATAPI interface Zip drives (With proper kernel support. See the FAQ)
* Support for 1G and 2G SCSI Jaz drives
* Support for the new 250 MB Zip drives (I hope; please confirm)
* Autodetect the type of drive (Jaz or Zip)
* Change the write protection status of a disk
* Query the write protection status of a disk
* Mount and unmount disks as an ordinary user (improved)
* Autodetect the format of the disk in the drive
* Several icons are now included for placing jaZip neatly in your window manager.
* Eject a disk
* Auto-unmount on Eject

http://www.scripps.edu/~jsmith/jazip/download.html

oldjazipshots

linux.com jaz info

http://www.linux.com/base/ldp/howto/Jaz-Drive-HOWTO.html

jaz bootinfo

http://www.linux.com/base/ldp/howto/Jaz-Drive-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.1

Good luck, I will be trying this shortly, as I've just bought one on ebay Very Happy

Aitch
Aitch

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jul 2008, 18:27    Post subject:  

maybe useful configuration info

http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/HyperNews/get/pcmcia/scsi.html?inline=1

also linked from above

http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/doc/PCMCIA-HOWTO.html

Aitch
otropogo

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jul 2008, 15:07    Post subject:  

Aitch

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jul 2008, 19:04    Post subject:  

Thanks, otropogo
I've certainly come up to speed on this stuff since you started this thread, & you got me darned curious!
Shame I didn't know about the grc test before I decided to dip in
I have found a source of new disks but they are hellish expensive at £5 each plus post for 2gb IBM compatible jaz originals, either pc or mac formatted [uk based supplier - ebay] I think they also do 100mb for £3 ea

breaking news - link, new disks

10x100mb ebay

I have an old mac desktop which has a zip drive in if I remember right, though I haven't used it for a good while, I think it was a zip100
I have a 250mb internal in a box somewhere too, that reads 100 disks, but doesn't write?? if I remember right?
I also use a firewire external dvdrw drive, with my IBM lappy, [when I occasionally use it], which I'm sure reads/writes ramdisks, but I've never had one to try - maybe I'll have a renewed look
I only got it to use to transfer large files between the mac & pc, when I was trying to upgrade the mac, as I couldn't get it on the net, but at 250mhz it was slow, though I think it only had a small 2.2gb scsi h/d with OS7.9 or 8.2 - I've still got the scsi scanner for it around somewhere
Instead of sorting this kit to get rid of, I've started adding to it!!
I must be getting soft Wink Laughing
Anyway, I'll let you know how I get on, both with the jaz and the flash CF adapter & microdrives - still looking for a decent size/speed/price CF flash memory to try; OCZ rally2 looks favourite at the moment, just haven't bought one yet!

Aitch Smile
Edit
Possible defragger

http://vleu.net/shake/
Crash

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul 2008, 01:01    Post subject:  

I found that Wakepup version 1.1c had ZIP parallel support. It is at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=692492249&t=3875

but it is only for Puppy versions 1.x. At least I finally confirmed that it was being thought about at one time...

Here is an excerpt from the autoexec.bat file:

:parzip_drv
rem Section(2)
echo Looking for an Iomega parallel port ZIP drive...
driver\zipdrv\GUEST letter=I
echo Looking for marker file PUPXIDE...
if exist I:\pupxide set pupdrv=I:
if "%pupdrv%"=="" goto failed
set drvtype=ZIP
goto ide_cd_common

I note that the ASPIPPM1.SYS and GUEST.EXE files are uncorrupted in this version.

Not that any of this does any good for versions 3.x and 4.x of Puppy, but it is good for history.

... I'm still fiddling with my Compact Flash drive in the PCMCIA adapter ... I'm learning more that I ever wanted to about the company called Cardsoft.
otropogo

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul 2008, 03:55    Post subject:  

Aitch wrote:
I have found a source of new disks but they are hellish expensive at £5 each plus post for 2gb

Not cheap, but worth it if you have no other safe way to test your used Jaz drive

Aitch wrote:
I also use a firewire external dvdrw drive, with my IBM lappy, [when I occasionally use it], which I'm sure reads/writes ramdisks, but I've never had one to try

They're hard to find here too. Most electronics, computer store clerks have never heard of them. And finding them, even on line, is hard, especially if you're looking for the "newer' 5X type that have been available for only three or four years, IIRC. Nor are they cheap. The most commonly found type hereabouts are the Fuji 3X, sold at Circuit City, the Source in Canada for $30 for a five pack.

Aitch wrote:
Instead of sorting this kit to get rid of, I've started adding to it!!

You're not alone. I just can't bring myself to throw out perfectly working removable drives and media with adapters and all the original documentation. I've got to start looking for computer museums.

I've got 5,10,20MB 8 inch Bernoulli drives and 20,44,90, and 150MB 5 inch Bernoullis , including doubles and portables, and media for all of them. I even have a working Iomega Click drive.

Why I keep the various Syjets, SparQs, and Jaz drives that no longer work is harder to understand - except they don't take up a fraction of the space the Bernoullis do. And there's always the hope of resurrection...

Aitch wrote:
Anyway, I'll let you know how I get on, both with the jaz and the flash CF adapter & microdrives - still looking for a decent size/speed/price CF flash memory to try;

Thanks, I look forward to your reports. I lost my patience and bought a 2GB 100X CF card at Radio Shack in the US recently. It was "OVERPRICED" for US$25 IIRC. When I came back to Canada, I found the Source here had a 2GB card OVERPRICED for $20, except it was 80X.

I haven't tried to do anything with it yet though. I did try to boot my laptop with puppy 4.0 copied to a smaller CF card (256MB, I believe) and attached to the laptop's ide connection via an adapter. That effort failed miserably, and I'm not sure why. But it dampened my enthusiasm.

Will be away for a few days. Have fun with your Jaz!
otropogo

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul 2008, 04:09    Post subject:  

Crash wrote:
I found that Wakepup version 1.1c had ZIP parallel support. It is at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=692492249&t=3875

but it is only for Puppy versions 1.x. At least I finally confirmed that it was being thought about at one time...

Nice find, Crash.

Have downloaded it and expect to give it a try within the next week or so with my copy of Puppy 1.01.
Aitch

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul 2008, 15:34    Post subject:  

Don't know if you know this one

http://www.iomegasupportforums.com/phpbb2/index.php

also possibly useful info

http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/specs/index.html

man pages

http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/man/index.html

old sourceforge ftp

http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/doc/

Aitch
Crash

PostPosted: Sun 03 Aug 2008, 11:16    Post subject:  

Attached is an edited pcmcia.bat file. I made the following changes:

1: amsida.sys is added as Option 9 in the first ASPI Host Adapter Drivers menu. It is also added to the "All" Option 1.

2: When individual ASPI host adapters are selected, only a single driver is unzipped to the ram drive. This speeds things up if you know which host adapter driver to use.

3: In the Load Peripherals menu, usbaspi.sys is removed from the first option. This makes it like the original code - loads aspidisk.sys, Addonics, and aspicd. A seventh option is added that loads all of the drivers if you want to use it.

4: For Zip Parallel, a fourth option is added to the first menu to allow selection of neither aspippm1.sys or aspippm2.sys.

5: And maybe most importantly, I put the last date of edit on the first line. This should avoid confusion on what version this is. It is my feeble attempt at configuration management.

I'm pretty well convinced that HIMEM.SYS and the RAM drive don't affect LINLD. I do see where HIMEM can interfere with the USB drivers, so the user needs to be aware of that issue.

None of this addresses any Kernel support issues. But at least it gets Wakepup2 to the point where it can load and execute the Kernel.
pcmcia.bat.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  pcmcia.bat.gz 
Filesize  2.11 KB 
Downloaded  293 Time(s) 
otropogo

PostPosted: Sun 03 Aug 2008, 13:43    Post subject:  

Crash wrote:
Attached is an edited pcmcia.bat file. I made the following changes:

None of this addresses any Kernel support issues. But at least it gets Wakepup2 to the point where it can load and execute the Kernel.

Thanks Crash.

Just to recap:

Which Wakepup version should I use to test this, or does it matter?

My Pup 4.0 installation (on desktop) is using kernel 2.6.21.

My laptop (which is the real target of my efforts) is running 3.01 Retro using kernel 2.6.18

I also have a 4 alpha 5 CD using kernel 2.6.25 which will boot on my desktop, but seems unstable (my USB mouse is spastic, while PS/2 is fine, and system power down fails with "halt system" )

I assume you want me to keep using your modified autoexec.bat and config.sys files of June?
Page 7 of 8 [113 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: