Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 12 Dec 2018, 02:19
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Bogus PPZIP support in WakePup2
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 6 of 8 [113 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Aitch

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul 2008, 18:08    Post subject:  

otropogo/crash

try this

I believe it contains an image [dos bootable?] for floppy for pcmcia/usb & parport scsi, but I have no way to check

It was referred to in one of my posts, recently - jun 21st

also hd352u [duse] dos driver, referred to

This also, I believe does parport scsi zip drive, if memory serves...

experiment some more - read the info in that post!

I believe I had to add some files to a w98 boot disk?, but you'll have to read some, as I forget

I used one of them? to get a pcmcia scsi CD working on my IBM570E

[I'm more used to working in w98]

Aitch
hd352u_dos.zip
Description 
zip

Download 
Filename  hd352u_dos.zip 
Filesize  26.37 KB 
Downloaded  235 Time(s) 
Crash

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jul 2008, 01:23    Post subject:  

Aitch,

Thanks for the added info. I'm collecting a bunch of files like these to get a better history of the subject, and the more the better.

Otropogo,

Your test results bring up enough issues that I am going to gather some more hardware and do some controlled tests. It will take a while but, hey, we've been milking this thread for more than a month now anyway!
otropogo

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jul 2008, 04:46    Post subject:  

Crash wrote:

Otropogo,

Your test results bring up enough issues that I am going to gather some more hardware and do some controlled tests. ...

Have just tested Wakepup configuration and boot behaviour for:

V 1.01
V. 2.16
V. 2.17
V. 3.01

results:

1. None of them recognize the parallel port Zip drive

2. V. 1.01 has an option to install to IDE zip in setup, but specifically warns that parallel port zips are not supported

3. Wakepup floppies generated by V 1.01, 2.16, and 2.17 have no option to boot from PPZIP,

4. the Wakepup floppy generated by V 3.01 does provide a PPZIP boot option. It has a zipdrv folder, containing aspippm1/2.sys , guest.exe, guest.ini, and nibble.ilm. But autoexec.bat apparently doesn't wait for input selecting this option.

5. the guest.exe and aspippm1.sys files in V 3.01 Wakepup are corrupted.

I tried to remedy the situation by copying your new autoexec.bat, config.sys, and pcmcia.bat files and guest.exe apsippm1.sys, nibble, and guest.ini from my 1998 iomegaware CD to the V .301 Wakepup floppy.

Results:

choosing either aspippm1 or aspippm2.sys results in "adapter not present" message, after which I'm prompted to either run guest.exe or quit.

Guest.exe designates the PP zip drive "w:", and then I get to choose the subdirectory where Puppy is located. But when I enter "w:", Wakepup looks for Puppy only on IDE or USB drives, and reports failure.

However, when I pick option 2 (quit) and drop back to Freedos's "a:" prompt, entering "w:" displays all of the necessary Puppy files on the disk in the parallel port zip drive. So clearly, the problem is not with the hardware.

Also, looking at the kernel.log, I see that Linux is checking the parallel port at bootup. After booting Pup 1.01, it showed the following lines:

parport: PnPBIOS parport detected
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778) IRQ7 [PCSPP, tristate, EPP]
lp0:using parport0 (interrupt-driven)
lp0: console ready

My conclusion is that sometime after Puppy 2.17 a version of Wakepup was created which supported booting from a parallel port zip drive, but this function got corrupted and was abandoned without notice some time before Puppy 3.01 came out.

Hopefully someone with a hands-on knowledge of the development history can locate the point just before things went off the rails and get a copy of the working configuration.

Judging by the dates of the files in the two Wakepup versions that bracket this development, the time period involved is only a few months (Spring to Fall of 2007 IIRC).
Crash

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jul 2008, 10:23    Post subject:  

otropogo wrote:

However, when I pick option 2 (quit) and drop back to Freedos's "a:" prompt, entering "w:" displays all of the necessary Puppy files on the disk in the parallel port zip drive.

That is actually good news. That means Wakepup2 is loading the driver for the Zip Parallel drive. I think that is a first.

otropogo wrote:

Wakepup looks for Puppy only on IDE or USB drives, and reports failure.

Of course that's bad. What marker file are you putting on the Zip drive, i.e. "IDEHD", "USBHD", etc?
Aitch

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jul 2008, 12:28    Post subject:  

Hi Crash

Quote:
I'm collecting a bunch of files like these to get a better history of the subject, and the more the better.

not knowing what you have already/what you are looking for specifically makes it tricky, however, last known adaptec 1460A

http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/speed/scsi/windows/1460ampd_exe.htm

linux parport project

http://cyberelk.net/tim/parport/parport.html

tuxmobil

http://tuxmobil.org/portable_cdwr.html

slackware ppa3

http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-8.1/zipslack/README.ppa

I do remember quite a bit of trial & error, but nothing like the time you've spent here, you're a star IMHO!

I know there was also some other info I googled for, as I have a friend who's a mac addict who comes [came] round and we tried several of his scsi/zipdrive/tape bits when I first tried puppy2.14 - not all of it got working, but he kept copious notes, but has now moved to an Italian village 'cottage/dwelling', well wreck really, and he's having to economise on power & has recently asked me about picopcs - only 7watts power, but modern mobo w/usb2/flash support!

@otropogo

adaptec1460A +drivers on ebay

Aitch
otropogo

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jul 2008, 00:26    Post subject:  

Crash wrote:
otropogo wrote:

However, when I pick option 2 (quit) and drop back to Freedos's "a:" prompt, entering "w:" displays all of the necessary Puppy files on the disk in the parallel port zip drive.

That is actually good news. That means Wakepup2 is loading the driver for the Zip Parallel drive. I think that is a first.

I'm afraid it only means that the uncorrupted guest.exe with necessary associated files works under FreeDos.

Crash wrote:
otropogo wrote:

Wakepup looks for Puppy only on IDE or USB drives, and reports failure.

Of course that's bad. What marker file are you putting on the Zip drive, i.e. "IDEHD", "USBHD", etc?

Good question! It turns out I didn't have any marker files on the Zip disk. So I copied them over, and tried again.

Keep in mind that this is the WakePup2 floppy generated by Puppy3.01 standard with your config.sys, autoexec.bat, and pcmcia.bat files of this Spring, and all the files in the zipdrv folder copied from Iomegaware Ver 2.2.1 (1998):

First Menu > 7. PCMCIA
Second Menu > 2. PPZIP
Third Menu > 3. aspippm1.sys and aspippm2.sys
"adapter not found"
Fourth Menu > 1. run guest.exe
" guest V. 6.01...your Iomega Zip 100 drive is w:..press any key...
"wakepup2... press any key"

Fourth Menu >
"file found on ide, drive w:
file found on usbhd drive w:
file found on usbflash drive w:
1. ide 2. usbhd 3. usbflash
please choose 1,2,3,4[sic]"

>1. ide/2.usbhd (same result)

Fifth Menu - Puppy Boot Mode Menu > 6. choose boot media

Sixth Menu, same as preceding, but with the following appended to "1.Normal -Pmedia=idehd(/usbhd) on drive w:\(autodetected)"

> 1. Normal
"Linld v.0.97.....uncompressing kernel...searching for Puppy files... Pup_400.sfs not found..."

And dropped to the command line.

At point of failure, the message is exactly the same as that I've gotten when trying to boot from the pcmcia_scsi CDROM.

I hope this narrows the problem down for you.

I know Linux is aware of the fact that Iomega zip drives carry their data on partition 4, since I can access SCSI zip drives in Linux. Is it possible that Wakepup2 has lost this essential information? That's all I can suggest.
Crash

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jul 2008, 09:04    Post subject:  

otropogo wrote:

I'm afraid it only means that the uncorrupted guest.exe with necessary associated files works under FreeDos.

That's all that Wakepup2 is supposed to do. It just loads the appropriate drivers, finds the marker file, assembles the proper parameters to sent to LINLD, and executes LINLD.

otropogo wrote:

"file found on ide, drive w:
file found on usbhd drive w:
file found on usbflash drive w:

Actually, you are only supposed to put one of the three marker files on the Zip disk to tell Wakepup2 which type of media it is. I would have started with just "IDEHD", but it doesn't matter much.

otropogo wrote:

please choose 1,2,3,4[sic]"

Crash wrote:

By the way, the DOS batch command set is pretty limited, and you shouldn't expect the ultimate in elegance from any program written in it.

To avoid adding a lot of extra code, I just presented all of the four choices even if there were fewer available. However, if you choose one that isn't available, there is an error trap that says:

Please select one of the available choices
Press any key to continue or Ctrl-C to abort...

And takes you back to the choices. That's about as good as it gets with the DOS batch command set.

So if you had chosen option 4, it would have bounced you back.

otropogo wrote:

"Linld v.0.97.....uncompressing kernel...searching for Puppy files... Pup_400.sfs not found..."

Wakepup2 passed control to the Linux Kernel at this point. Wakepup2 has done its job. I leave the rest up to the Kernel gurus. That's not my strong point.
otropogo

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jul 2008, 13:43    Post subject:  

Crash wrote:
otropogo wrote:

Wakepup2 passed control to the Linux Kernel at this point. Wakepup2 has done its job. I leave the rest up to the Kernel gurus. That's not my strong point.

Well, I'm throroughly confused now. If I understand you correctly, the Linux kernel simply doesn't support parallel port Zip drives anymore. Yet, according to the "evolution" of Wakepup as indicated by its menus, it DID support parallel Zip drives sometime between May and September of 2007.

How plausible is that?

Adding to the mystery is the fact that exactly the same error message occurs at exactly the same point when trying to load Puppy 4.0 from a pcmcia_scsi drive.

However, in that case, it's hard to see how the kernel can be held responsible, since when Puppy is successfully loaded (by other means) the same drive is fully supported, so long as the aha152x_cs module required by the pcmcia_scsi adapter is available.
Aitch

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jul 2008, 21:27    Post subject:  

here's another for your collection, crash

win2k/xp toshiba/freecomCD pcmcia/parport drivers - attached

may work in dos or with wine/ndiswrapper, maybe?

Aitch
Crash

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2008, 00:05    Post subject:  

otropogo,

Is this the type of screen that you end up with?
Screen.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   42.82 KB
 Viewed   747 Time(s)

Screen.jpg

otropogo

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2008, 00:44    Post subject:  

Crash wrote:
otropogo,

Is this the type of screen that you end up with?

exactly
John Doe

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2008, 00:59    Post subject:  

it's an init or kernel problem at that point. DOS is over by then (and seems to have found vmlinuz and initrd.gz).

Perhaps a try with that boot disk and 4.1 Alpha 3?

Barry mentioned having gotten PCMCIA working better in is blog (a few pages ago). Perhaps parallel is working or can be added also?
otropogo

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2008, 05:05    Post subject:  

John Doe wrote:
it's an init or kernel problem at that point. DOS is over by then (and seems to have found vmlinuz and initrd.gz).

Perhaps a try with that boot disk and 4.1 Alpha 3?...

OK. I tried that. It made no difference. In retrospect, I don't see how it could have. The problem is in Wakepup2, so whatever improvements there are in Puppy 4.01, they won't help me load it from Zip or pcmcia_scsi using the WakePup from 3.01.

BTW - I dug a little deeper and found I had a Puppy 3.00 LiveCD, so I ran that and created a 3.00 Wakepup floppy. The zipdriv files were already corrupted at that point, and reading Barry Kauler's 3 00 release notes establishes that there were only two intermediate test releases between 2.17.1 (when parallel zip and pcmcia options didn't yet exist on Wakepup) and 3.00 (when the zip drivers were already corrupted.

This narrows the search for the working zip support down to Puppy 2.20 alpha and 3.00 beta, neither of which I have in my collection. I'm really starting to doubt that this parallel zip support ever existed, and wonder how it got into the Wakepup menu.

Can it really be that untested parallel zip drivers, some of them evidently corrupted, were simply thrown into folders on Wakepup, without so much as checking their file size against the easily accessible originals?

One other point that I don't seem to have gotten through:

The new pcmcia.bat composed by Crash last month is missing something. As a result, aspicd.sys is not longer loaded (maybe that driver got mislaid in the revision?), and Wakepup2 no longer sees the pcmcia_scsi chain at all.

When I tested the cleaned up Puppy 3.01 Wakepup2 floppy today, I used Crash's autoexec.bat, config.sys, and pcmcia.bat at first. And as stated above, Aspicd.sys did not load, and the adapter and drive were not detected.

I then replaced the new pcmcia.bat with the old one from 3.01 and then the adapter and drive were detected, Wakepup went on to list my two 2sf files, and then gave the message that it couldn't find pup_xxx.sfs.
Crash

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2008, 21:57    Post subject:  

otropogo,

Is this the path that you took using the new pcmcia.bat to attempt to boot to the SCSI CD?

First menu:
7. PCMCIA Devices (Experimental)

Next menu, "Select PCMCIA, Zip Parallel, or SCSI":
1. PCMCIA

Next menu, "Ready to load ASPI Host Adapter Drivers":
1. All

Next menu, "Ready to load Peripherals":
6. aspicd.sys /d:USB-CD

Also --- BUG --- there is a line in the new pcmcia.bat that is commented out, probably because I didn't know what to do with it at the time:

rem devload /q r:amsida.sys

Remove the "rem" so it reads:

devload /q r:amsida.sys

This may make your PCMCIA SCSI work again. If it does, I'll have to figure out what to do with it.
otropogo

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul 2008, 04:32    Post subject:  

Crash wrote:
otropogo,

Is this the path that you took using the new pcmcia.bat to attempt to boot to the SCSI CD?

First menu:
7. PCMCIA Devices (Experimental)

Next menu, "Select PCMCIA, Zip Parallel, or SCSI":
1. PCMCIA

Next menu, "Ready to load ASPI Host Adapter Drivers":
1. All

yes

Crash wrote:
Next menu, "Ready to load Peripherals":
6. aspicd.sys /d:USB-CD

I've generally chosen 1. All at this menu, but will try 6. alone as you suggest .

And yes, after removing your "rem", I now get the same initial result as with the original pcmcia.bat:

ASPI CD-ROM Driver of DOS Version4.01...

Host Adapter 0, Target SCSI ID = 4 - LUN 0: SONY CD-RW CRX145S 1.0c CD-ROM driver installed: I host adapter(s), 1 target(s),

Then, after pressing "any key" twice, I see the CD-ROM's access light go on for several seconds, but all wakepup reports is :

"file found on idehd, drive C:\

And the Select Puppy2 Boot Mode menu is presented, and I choose
6. Boot Media, which leads to the Select Puppy2 Media Location, where I choose 5. CD Drive, which sends me back to the Boot Mode Menu again. So no cigar.

This time there's no indication Wakepup has scanned the LiveCD, as it has in the past by reporting "pup_400.sfs not found".

I then retried with the old pcmcia.bat file, and couldn't get that response with it either. Keep in mind that this is the Puppy 3.01 (Standard) Wakepup floppy, with your autoexec.bat and config.sys file of this summer.

Unfortunately, I can't remember what I might have done differently to get to that extra step. I know that with the PPZIP function, and your pcmcia.bat file, I managed to get to that point, just after the two 2sf files were offered.

Hopefully there's enough detail in my report of it to figure which Wakepup it was and how it was configured.

One thing I wonder about is what business all of these SCSI drivers have in a pcmcia function. Are these really all drivers that have relevance to pcmcia? The only one's I've ever seen install successfully are Aspi2dos.sys and aspicd.sys

Beyond that, I would expect that we need to have the aha152x_cs driver on the Wakepup floppy in order to access the drive and load the Puppy into RAM. But I have no idea where on the floppy it should be, or what else needs to be done to make Wakepup use it.

I also wonder whether the aha152x_cs module for kernel 2.6.18, which works with 3.01 Retro, is useable in any later Wakepup version? So far it's the most recent version I've been able to locate that actually works.
Page 6 of 8 [113 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: