Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 13 Dec 2018, 02:51
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Bogus PPZIP support in WakePup2
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 8 of 8 [113 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8
Crash

PostPosted: Sun 03 Aug 2008, 15:42    Post subject:  

I'm using the "latest official Wakepup2" floppy image as the baseline. This is the version included in Puppy 3.01 or down loadable using Puppy 4.0 or later.

My recommendation is to start with the Wakepup2 disk and replace the autoexec.bat and config.sys files with the ones I posted on page 2 of this thread. Then replace the pcmcia.bat file with this one I just posted.

You need to supply your own working copies of the Zip Parallel drivers if you want to test them. I don't expect the results to be any different, just for the Wakepup program to perform as it should.

I intend to post a new floppy image file to avoid ambiguity, but I want to finalize and include the readme files on it before doing the post. None of this consumes much time, but the problem is for me to squeeze in the time between various other activities. It took almost a month between when I said I would do this edit and when I actually did it. I hope to make the floppy image quicker.
otropogo

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug 2008, 01:23    Post subject:  

Crash wrote:
You need to supply your own working copies of the Zip Parallel drivers if you want to test them.....

I'm thinking that Zip adds another level of complication because of the unusual proprietary formating of Iomega removables.

What about using Wakepup as you described, but with a Backpack PP CDROM drive or a PP CF card reader as the boot target?

Would that be supported by your pcmcia.bat?
otropogo

PostPosted: Thu 07 Aug 2008, 02:16    Post subject:  

Crash wrote:
My recommendation is to start with the Wakepup2 disk and replace the autoexec.bat and config.sys files with the ones I posted on page 2 of this thread. Then replace the pcmcia.bat file with this one I just posted.

You need to supply your own working copies of the Zip Parallel drivers if you want to test them....

Have gone a dozen rounds now with Wakepup2 and your new config.sys, autoexec.bat and (latest) pcmcia.bat file

Here's what happened:

1st Menu: >.7. PCMCIA

2nd Menu: > 2. PP ZIP

3rd Menu: ASPIPPM1/2/both/none .tried 1, 2, and 3, result : "no adapter found"

4th Menu: Run Guest.exe yes/no > yes

result: "finding a drive letter for your Iomega Zip 100
drive is drive letter W:
about to exit to autoexec.bat" press any key to continue...

"checking all IDE drives for IDEHD
checking all USB drives for USBHD
checking all USB drives for USBFLASH
checking USBCDROM drive for file Initrd.gz

5th Menu:

1. file found on ide, drive W:\
2. file found on usbhd drive W:\
3. file found on usbflash, drive W:\ (select)

(I'd placed all three marker files on the ZIP disk, as well as initrd.gz)

tried each of these in turn, all led to

6th Menu: Select Puppy Boot Mode > 6. Boot Media

7th Menu: Select Puppy Media Location "1. Normal Pmedia= usbflash/.usbhd/idehd on Drive W:\ (autodetected)

> 1. Normal

8th Menu: Select Puppy Boot Mode (again) > 1.Normal

result: the Zip disk activity light is flashing

"booting kernel ...searching for Puppy files, loading kernel drivers",

If I selected USBflash or USBHD, it then fails directly with

"Pup_400.sfs not found...',

If I selected IDEHD, it first finds all my 2sf files on the ide drive, and asks which I want to boot with, with "0" as first option. But whether I choose "0" or one of the 2sf files, it then fails with "Pup_400.sfs not found..."

Evidently Freedos/Wakepup2 is able to identify the target partition "W:\" (partition 4 on the Zip disk) and read the the name of the Pup_4.sfs file on it, Why the kernel can't find it again is a mystery to me. It can't be that it doesn't know how to handle Zip disks, because Puppy 4.0 mounts and reads the same Zip 100 disk I used in my parallel port tests when it's inserted in a SCSI Zip drive.

Maybe Puppy just doesn't know how to access the parallel port anymore?

Strangely, where Puppy 4.0 kernel 2.6.21 can mount, read and write to both of my SCSI hard drives, and my SCSI ZIP 100 drive, Puppy 4.1 alpha 5 , kernel 2.6.25 doesn't even detect any of these three SCSI drives. I don't think it can be the kernel's fault, because Knoppix 5.3.1, using kernel 2.6.24 still mounts all of them as well.

While I was at it, I thought I might as well try Wakepup2's Parallel Backpack CDROM boot option too, but that always halted the system with the following error:

"Invalid Opcode at 0018 0269 0206 1063 0000 1063 0000 2132 00C7 1422 8FAC 9DA3 0000"
Crash

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug 2008, 01:24    Post subject:  

otropogo wrote:
While I was at it, I thought I might as well try Wakepup2's Parallel Backpack CDROM boot option too, but that always halted the system with the following error:

"Invalid Opcode at 0018 0269 0206 1063 0000 1063 0000 2132 00C7 1422 8FAC 9DA3 0000"

Can you believe - two more corrupt (truncated) files on the disk:

\driver\backpack\bpcddrv.sys
\driver\backpack\readme.txt

And no one complained about this over the last year...

I'm working on a floppy image that among other things has versions copied from Wakepup1.1 that at least don't crash when I test them.
otropogo

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug 2008, 15:34    Post subject:  

Crash wrote:

Can you believe - two more corrupt (truncated) files on the disk:

\driver\backpack\bpcddrv.sys
\driver\backpack\readme.txt

And no one complained about this over the last year...

I'm working on a floppy image that among other things has versions copied from Wakepup1.1 that at least don't crash when I test them.

I BELIEVE!

I'm cheering you on and standing by with my legacy hardware to test until it (or one of us) collapses under the burden.

I feel however, that these problems are a devastating indictment of inadequate preparation of "distribution" versions of Puppy, going back through several versions and over several years, and need to be addressed systemically.

I'd like to suggest (but don't know where or to whom) the establishment of a carefully recorded procedure of user testing of all key functions, especially those involving legacy hardware, in beta before any future distribution is released.

This would require the recruitment in advance of volunteers equipped with the necessary hardware and willing to do the testing, at least in the case of hardware the developers don't have available. Or, alternatively, creating a fund to supply the coders with the required hardware and media.

Another, equally desirable, innovation would be to keep an exact record of all changes made to Puppy, and their dates and versions, including the alpha and beta versions, together with an archive of all of the intermediate ISOs.

Had either of the above procedures been followed in the past, you would not be having to reinvent the wheel, and we both would not be having to generate and run a dozen variant Wakepup floppies in a vain attempt to find when, if ever, a given menu function actually worked as it was supposed to.
Crash

PostPosted: Tue 12 Aug 2008, 23:26    Post subject:  

otropogo wrote:

3rd Menu: ASPIPPM1/2/both/none .tried 1, 2, and 3, result : "no adapter found"

result: "finding a drive letter for your Iomega Zip 100

drive is drive letter W:

about to exit to autoexec.bat" press any key to continue...

I'd like to know if you can use the fourth choice in the ASPIPPM1/2/both/none menu and still get the Zip drive to be recognized:

3rd Menu: ASPIPPM1/2/both/none > 4. Neither

This is contrary to documentation that I find elsewhere, but apparently is how Wakepup 1.1c did the sequence. In other words, Guest.exe is smart enough to load the driver by itself.

I'm a little slow at responding to your earlier questions because I was trying to finalize the floppy image. I have it complete now, but for some reason, I get the message:

"Sorry, but the maximum filesize for all Attachments is reached. Please contact the Board Administrator if you have questions."

when I try to post it. I guess I need to wait a few days until something in the forum database clears itself up.
otropogo

PostPosted: Wed 13 Aug 2008, 01:47    Post subject:  

Crash wrote:

I'd like to know if you can use the fourth choice in the ASPIPPM1/2/both/none menu and still get the Zip drive to be recognized:
This is contrary to documentation that I find elsewhere, but apparently is how Wakepup 1.1c did the sequence. In other words, Guest.exe is smart enough to load the driver by itself.

Yes, it makes no difference which of the four choices I make in the ASPIPPM menu, they all end up at "run guest, yes or no". And guest works equally well. I have no idea what the "adapter not found" response to the first three refers to.

There were parallel port adaptors made by trantor, and perhaps others. I may have one around here somewhere. But they were meant to run a SCSI drive off the parallel port, IIRC.. In fact it adds some maddening confusion to the situation, as I believe the 25 pin SCSI , parallel, and serial cables all look the same externally. And many of them are unlabeled.

Crash wrote:
I'm a little slow at responding to your earlier questions because I was trying to finalize the floppy image. I have it complete now, but for some reason, I get the message:

"Sorry, but the maximum filesize for all Attachments is reached. Please contact the Board Administrator if you have questions."

when I try to post it. I guess I need to wait a few days until something in the forum database clears itself up.

Yes, you're not the only one. See the thread below.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=32391

People are having problems logging in, displaying pages, completing posts, and they've been getting steadily worse. I can't even get a URL converted to a link anymore. No idea why.

Anyway, there's no rush from my side, I'm busy with a lot of other stuff. But if you'd like to have some feedback while you're in the mood, you're welcome to e-mail me the file and I'll give it priority.
Crash

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug 2008, 20:37    Post subject:  

otropogo wrote:
Yes, it makes no difference which of the four choices I make in the ASPIPPM menu, they all end up at "run guest, yes or no". And guest works equally well.

That's good. It confirms that the basic method used in Wakepup1.1c was sound.

I posted the image on a different thread to avoid confusion:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=32458

Besides, we've been burning up this thread for long enough!

I'm sure there's more work to do on it, but this will a good base point.
Page 8 of 8 [113 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: