Suggestions on the development of next puppy linux version

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
mistfire

Suggestions on the development of next puppy linux version

#1 Post by mistfire »

ATTENTION to all puppy developers, i wish that the development of next puppy linux version will be better than previous one. It is an honor to present some suggestion to make puppy linux more user friendly and extremely fast. I wish that this suggestion will become helpful on your development of next puppy linux version:

1. reduced kernel panic
2. More efficient processing ability to reduced bottlenecks and prevent logging. (i noticed it when executing programs and apps in puppy (and also in processing data within the program) it raised up to 100% CPU usage than can cause logging when opening another program, it is hard to multi-task)

3. new GUI and New file manager. I suggest to use XFCE/LXDE as a GUI component and X window manager of puppy and thunar/PCmanFM as a file manager (Although rox filer is good but it is too technical to use to the linux newbies and windows refugees. unlike the thunar/PCmanFM, its appearance is look like windows explorer so the user will become more comfortable). the Thunar/PCmanFM must have a "My computer" function to access and manage the disk drives easily.(E.g formatting, disk maintenance, file access on disk drives, etc.)

4. network device control. the puppy must have an ability to control the device within the network (E.g network printing, scanning, etc.). And also if it is possible, it has a user friendly samba configuration settings (it must be in GUI form)

5. Improved package management. The puppy must also support debian, slackware, and red hat packages in which the package manager runs on a stand-alone program equipped with download accelerator for faster downloading of packages. And also it has an ability to upgrade or downgrade the packages if there is a previously installed packages.

6. Only important applications must included as puppy linux core apps. to prevent the bloating of puppy.

7. More compact and smaller. Using the lzma compression technology, the puppy must reduced it size less then 95MB or lower (just like gray did on his NOP to make it smaller or as possible as small as slitaz or DSL ). To lower the memory consumption on disk and also time on downloading on it.

8. Improved Plug and play hardware detection. Even the puppy is running on the go. It must have an ability to detect hardware and peripherals (like printer, scanner, mouse etc.). when the device is connected, a message balloon appear telling the name of device and what type of device was that.

9. Better connectivity. The puppy must have a bluetooth support and infrared support which offers basic wireless device control and basic data transfer if there is no apps for them but the bluetooth or infrared was connected. It has also better firewire support for file transferring and booting.

10. Reduced system requirements so that the puppy linux can run on a 32Mb of RAM. and make more faster and responsive as system requirement
increased.

If some of them was followed, well the puppy linux will become mature enough to compete with other propertiary OS. and the users will become more comfortable and the computing ability of puppy linux was fast and compact.......

If you want to suggest you are free to suggest here.
Last edited by mistfire on Thu 30 Jul 2009, 02:49, edited 3 times in total.

gawth_slacker

Achoice of an empty distro and different window managers

#2 Post by gawth_slacker »

IMO, I think it would be a great idea to make available the lates distro for download that only comes with a package manager and network wizard to download and install only the apps the user wants and not have to worry about preinstalled apps taking up precious space within the distro. That way, they can remaster the CD and have a much smaller foot print without the apps they are replacing with alternatives along side the original preinstalled ones.

Also, along with that, those distros in verious window manager choices like fluxbox, openbox, icewm, windowmaker, lxde, etc...

I am still trying to figure out how to use Puppy Unleashed to make my own distro with only the apps I want. It seems to me that you have to download all pet packages to this and then I am lost from there. With a package manager to handle all the dependencies it would be much easier than having a load of libs and dependencies of other apps that you dont need once you clean up the main apps you dont want in Puppy Unleashed.

If anybody has suggestions that might help me learn how to create my own distro of Puppy, please feel free to email me with them. I am interested in the whole Puppy idea. I really think it is quite possibly the best distro I have found IMO. I would just really love to make one that is "totally" my configuration with not left over preinstalled apps.

I intend to donate to Puppy. I think it should try to out do all other distros. It could happen!

jabol240

#3 Post by jabol240 »

Hi,

I would be extremely happy if Puppy had LXDE, because of the look, speed, simplicity and functions like directory menu. Do you know a distro called SLITAZ? It has LXDE and is much prettier than Puppy. Take a look:

http://slitaz.org/en/artwork/screenshots.html

What's best, Slitaz ISO has only 30 MB:)

Cheers:)

mistfire

#4 Post by mistfire »

yes you're right it is light and fast. I wonder if the puppy developers will try to adapt the technology of slitaz adn include the lxde. If they do it, the puppy linux might be more better.

Aitch

#5 Post by Aitch »

Hey guys....
Perhaps you could rename it Slitaz2 or something? :wink: :(

Aitch :)

bugman

#6 Post by bugman »

i don't get it

if i liked slitaz i'd use it

i don't

i like puppy

puppy uses rox and jwm

that's a good part of what i like about it

change to lxde and what's the point of even HAVING puppy?

:?

gposil

#7 Post by gposil »

In answer to mistfire's first post, a few observations:

Kernel Panic:
Have been using Puppy in various versions for about 8 months now, including latest Woof builds, and have not experienced Kernel panic once, am I just lucky ( :!: )

Processing Efficiency:
I have not experienced any great problem in this area at all, in fact on my main testing machine, which multi-boots Debian Lenny, Ubuntu 9.04, Puppy 4.1.2 full, dpup476d full, Windows XP sp2 and Windows 7 RC1, I have noticed the opposite, in fact Ubuntu and Windows run nearly equally last in my testing...am I just lucky ( :!: )

Window Manager and GUI:

If you want a new WM or File Manager, just install it....?

Network Device Control:
Again, if you want the pretty gui's or gui's for samba etc, they are available, just install them...

Package Management:
Don't see any problem here, all new Woof built Puppies can use Debian/Ubuntu debs and Slackware packages....with those bases covered, why would you want rpm's....still if you want rpm's, you can convert them to debs easily.
If some of them was followed, well the puppy linux will become mature enough to compete with other propertiary OS. and the users will become more comfortable and the computing ability of puppy linux was fast and compact.......
??? It already does compete...if you wan't Puppy to be more like Slitaz or something else why not use something else.

Puppy is what it is...
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

James C

#8 Post by James C »

I want to make sure I've got the point of this thread right.

We are supposed to take a Distrowatch TopTen distro, Puppy (Number 8 as I type this ) and make it more like DSL #20,with not much activity as of late, or Slitaz #47 on the list?

Puppy made it to where it is for a reason, not by copying other distros. If you want Slitaz, use it.It's great to have choices.

mistfire

THANK YOU!

#9 Post by mistfire »

Thank you to all who response to this forum thread although there are some negative response. but the important we are sharing our opinions for the better development of puppy. So just continue to posts.