Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 23 Nov 2014, 23:18
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
First Skype. Now Gizmo
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 5 [67 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Caneri

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun 2008, 12:21    Post subject:  

Hi William,Charni, et al,

Hey...I wonder if the Gizmo project from Charni and now William could be a recording solution Lobster is looking for so as to record pawcasts and conferences.

Best,
Eric

tombh

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun 2008, 15:41    Post subject:  

Gizmo looks interesting, I didn't realise it was such a competitor to skype. Well mcewanw's dotpet works in wNOP (3.01), though I haven't made a call yet -- no contacts! My gizmo name is tombh. It's a shame you can't call skype contacts with gizmo. I don't think there is video in this version of Gizmo, perhaps you have to have that version 5 -- maybe it's just in windows?
Caneri

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun 2008, 17:28    Post subject:  

Well Tom and Sharon and myself had a good test run with Gizmo.

Recording seemed to work according to Tom...and we solved world peace and made everyone safer from nuclear attack...lol

EDIT: Thanks Charni and William...looks good so far but I crash although the voice connection keeps on going..no loss of voice and the bandwidth is much smaller than Skype...so slower connections may work and work well....good stuff guys.

Eric

mcewanw

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun 2008, 22:45    Post subject: true ... no video in Gizmo for Linux version yet  

tombh wrote:
I don't think there is video in this version of Gizmo, perhaps you have to have that version 5 -- maybe it's just in windows?

Yes, I was too busy building the dotpet to check out the docs. Video isn't available in the Linux gizmo version 3.x yet, needs to reach Gizmo version 4.x for video, and no info about when that upgrade is likely.

I haven't tested gizmo out much myself yet (other than the record message and test numbers) so can't comment on the crashes that some have experienced. It hasn't crashed for me the little I've used it so far.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jun 2008, 01:43    Post subject:  

Quote:
we solved world peace and made everyone safer from nuclear attack

Well done. Trust Puppys to come up with solutions. Smile
Thanks guys Smile

I successfully and easily installed Gizmo.
There are some advantages:
    We can record interviews.
    Gizmo is less of a bandwidth hog and is possible to use with dial up . . .
    You can connect to and install on mobile phones . . .

My gizmo name is crusty_lobster
Shall we set up a gizmo conference - probably Wednesday 11 June 2008 . . . I think we should . . .

Aitch

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jun 2008, 04:47    Post subject:  

@Lobster

I find the change of thread title, nearly as confusing as whether the god/dess exists, saga

aside/BTW:
Did you hear about the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac?...............

He stayed awake all night trying to figure out if dog exists

end/meanwhile, back at the ranch......

I mean, the thread starts out about almost development progress and a need to chat about things generally

anyone else?

Aitch
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jun 2008, 05:40    Post subject:  

Aitch wrote:
@Lobster
I find the change of thread title, nearly as confusing as whether the god/dess exists, saga

Tell me about it . . .
Use Gizmo or skype Smile

mcewanw

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jun 2008, 08:10    Post subject: Re: true ... no video in Gizmo for Linux version yet  

mcewanw wrote:

I haven't tested gizmo out much myself yet (other than the record message and test numbers) so can't comment on the crashes that some have experienced. It hasn't crashed for me the little I've used it so far.

Gizmo doesn't seem to crash most of the time on my system s (on two machines Puppy 4.00 and Puppy 2.17.1). However, I find (in Puppy 2.17.1 at least) that if I push the fifth icon button to the right near the bottom of the screen, it crashes. I have no idea what half of these buttons are for or I'd describe the problem one better. Just try them and see for yourself (maybe), and avoid it later...
HairyWill

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jun 2008, 08:19    Post subject:  

surprise surprise, I'm hairywill
that button is for preferences
you can also access preferences from the menu
both methods cause a crash for me in puppy 4.00
Code:
# gizmo
gizmo_segv_handle: signum: 11 - SIGSEGV in_segv: 1
gizmo_segv_handle: PID: 8396
gizmo_segv_handle: Exiting..#

mcewanw

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jun 2008, 09:28    Post subject: Selecting Preferences crashes Dingo  

@HairyWill

Yep, I'd worked out what the button was for, because on Puppy Linux 2.17.1, it actually works (well, it crashed on leaving Preferences, but only the first time I used it. Since then I haven't been able to make Gizmo crash on Puppy 2.17.1). However, I tried it on Dingo again, and it crashes every time; never gets as far as opening the Preferences window.

I don't have broadband or I'd check both of charni's dotpets in Dingo to see if they do the same thing. Actually, I still have one of his two gizmo dotpets still (the one for libstdc++6). I'm hoping the libstdc++5 one might make a difference, though I'm just hoping... with no reason to imagine that should make any difference. But why Dingo and not Puppy 2.17.1 and what about Tombh's WNOP based on 3.01?
mcewanw

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jun 2008, 09:59    Post subject: seems to work without crashing in Puppy 2.17.1  

After checking and verifying the Preferences crash problem with Dingo, I rebooted to Puppy 2.17.1 to see how it was there. Although I thought I had experienced a crash in Puppy 2.17.1 when leaving the Gizmo preferences dialog, the effect was very different to that in Dingo. I think now that it hadn't actually crashed on that earlier Pup 2.17.1 occasion, but instead Gizmo was waiting for some internet communication before shutting down. Anyway, one thing for sure is that Gizmo is not crashing at all, as far as I can see, when run on Puppy version 2.17.1, but it crashes everytime under Dingo when Preferences is selected...

I also tried charnisingh's gizmo...stdlibc++6 version, and it crashed in the same way when run under Dingo.

Not having broadband I'm reluctant to download charni's gizmo...stdlibc++5 version to try, but if anyone else has the time to do that it would be good to know if it crashes on Dingo too (assuming it runs on Dingo; charni seems to suggest Dingo has the stdlibc++5 lib too; I haven't checked). Anyway, it "seems" to be a Puppy 4.00 problem rather than a gizmo one according to the above results. I'll be interested to know what tombh reports back about running gizmo on his wnop version.
Caneri

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jun 2008, 12:21    Post subject:  

Hi All,

I am running a test of gizmo-project-3.1.0.79-req.libstdc++5.pet from Charni's original .pet on tronkel's 2.16CE.

Hooray...it all works and no crash. The menus are all visible and function as they should. I didn't try the voice or my headset yet but this combination is very nice. I always did like Jack's 2.16CE.

Great!
Eric

mcewanw

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jun 2008, 12:51    Post subject: no libstdc++6 on 2.16?  

Caneri wrote:
Hi All,
I am running a test of gizmo-project-3.1.0.79-req.libstdc++5.pet from Charni's original .pet on tronkel's 2.16CE.
Hooray...it all works and no crash.

I presume that 2.16 and earlier don't have libstc 6?
Otherwise, I'd imagine that gizmo...libstdc++6.pet would work without crashing on that system too, since it does so on 2.17.1

The problem seems to be with Puppy 4.00. I suspect that it may be something to do with the gtk2 library version used in dingo, but I'm just guessing. I might try using the gtk2 lib from Puppy 2.17.1 in Dingo, though maybe that combination won't work at all. I'll try that tomorrow and report back; not that it is a solution, but it would be good to know what is causing the problem with gizmo in Dingo.

Actually, it would really be great if someone could try that libstd++5 version in Dingo, just to see if that is a solution. I could easily rebuild a less than 10 MByte version of that version thereafter if it charni's one happened to work. I just don't want to download that by dialup unless it proves worthwhile in the end. Still, my gut feeling is that won't solve the Dingo/gizmo crash problem anyway.
Caneri

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jun 2008, 13:01    Post subject:  

@Aitch,

olo...rats..lol Wink

smokey01

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jun 2008, 17:55    Post subject:  

I have the same problem with Gizmo crashing in puppy 4.0. The bigger problem is now it won't run at all. It reports "GDB could not be found on your system".

Anyway I uninstalled it through package manager then re-installed it, same problem. I guess there are parts of the software that wern't removed as it still remembered my username and password Crying or Very sad

I might give Charni version a try and see what happens.
Page 2 of 5 [67 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Jump to: