Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 30 Sep 2014, 10:27
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
How to Access a Windows Shared Printer from Puppy 4
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 5 of 6 [87 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 17 May 2009, 15:12    Post subject:  

Read here for info on installing CUPS 1.3.10 into Puppy 4.2. Even if you don't need HPIJS drivers, you must install the second PET. It contains an important post-install operation.
steve_s

PostPosted: Sun 17 May 2009, 16:02    Post subject:  

Ok, maybe this will give some information...

I tried using smbspool directly, but I may have my command wrong...I used the computer/printer combo that worked in 4.0...

Code:

smbspool smb://computer/printer 0 root 0 0 0 /mnt/home/documents/document.abw

..and I got as the last errors
Code:

ERROR: No ticket cache found for userid=0
ERROR: Can not get the ticket cache for root
steve_s

PostPosted: Sun 17 May 2009, 18:57    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Read here for info on installing CUPS 1.3.10 into Puppy 4.2. Even if you don't need HPIJS drivers, you must install the second PET. It contains an important post-install operation.

Great instructions, pet installed great, nice settup.

Still doesn't work. Checked the links, mounted the "print" part on the windows computer, etc. No dice.

Very frustrating.

Under device I got "Unkknown network device (smb)" so I picked that even though it wasn't exactly the "Windows Printer..." that I would have hoped for. Please check the attached picture for the error.
cups-problem2.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   134.94 KB
 Viewed   425 Time(s)

cups-problem2.jpg

steve_s

PostPosted: Sun 17 May 2009, 21:12    Post subject:  

Wow...this is fascinating and frustrating.

We are getting crazy now...it turns out it is cups 1.1.23 that is working for me on the 4.0 livecd...works every time after changing the sym link for the backend, etc.

Fine. On the 4.2 frugal, backed up the save file. Then removed the cups that was on there (1.3 at this point, I think), then installed 1.1.23, then tried to add the printer. No luck.

Ok, rebooted with the 4.0 cd, copied the entire /etc/cups/ folder after reinstalling the printer successfully again. Then booted back into the 4.2 frugal install, replaced everything in /etc/cups with the stuff from 4.0.

No go on the printer. Deleted it, restarted cups, reinstalled, still doesn't see the "Windows Printer via SAMBA" but has "Unknown SMB..." blah, blah, blah, as before.

What the crap?!!
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 17 May 2009, 22:22    Post subject:  

Whatever kept you from seeing the "Windows Printer via SAMBA" in CUPS 1.4b2 is apparently doing the same thing in 1.3.10. How much memory does this laptop have?
steve_s

PostPosted: Mon 18 May 2009, 10:19    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Whatever kept you from seeing the "Windows Printer via SAMBA" in CUPS 1.4b2 is apparently doing the same thing in 1.3.10. How much memory does this laptop have?

Not much: 256MB. Out of curiosity, how is that significant? And yes, your conclusion makes sense, but just can't figure out what that "thing" is...

**Edit: observations up to this point:
1. it is not working in 4.2, regardless of whether I am using a livecd, frugal install or what version of cups I am using.
2. it works in 4.0 (well, pupfluxlite, which 4.0 based) via livecd every time.
Patriot

PostPosted: Mon 18 May 2009, 11:05    Post subject:  

Hmmm .....

I haven't had the need to send a print job to a windows printer yet but I guess I might as well join in and have some fun.

I made similar attempts to smbspool print to a windows printer just now and received similar results. It seems that smbspool uses some sort of authentication layer (ticketing) to avoid denial-of-service attacks. Just took a brief look at the codes and haven't a clue yet what's going on (yeah, I'm lame with C, remember?).

However, printing to the windows printer from within cups web interface works for me (cups 1.3.10 + samba 3.0.34). There's another way to print to a windows printer from command line, by using smbclient. Like this :

# smbclient -U guest -N //WORKGROUP/PC/PRINTER
Domain=[Domain] OS=[Windows Server] Server=[Windows Server]
smb: \> print /tmp/xerrs.log
bla ... bla ... bla ...
smb: \> quit
#

or do it in a single line :

# smbclient -U guest -N -c "print /tmp/xerrs.log" //WORKGROUP/PC/PRINTER

The above was something that I found (but didn't thought much about it at the time) many moons ago at http://willem.engen.nl/projects/cupssmb/
A script to perform the above can also be found over there.

Rgds
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 18 May 2009, 12:42    Post subject:  

Apparently, the phrase "Unknown network device (smb)" was actually used by earlier versions of CUPS instead of "Windows Printer via SAMBA".

If I were you, I would download another copy of Puppy and try again.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 18 May 2009, 13:43    Post subject:  

[Update] "Unknown network device (smb)" is a message from CUPS when it cannot access a backend device properly.

Have you always been running Pnethood before you run CUPS? If so, don't.
steve_s

PostPosted: Mon 18 May 2009, 17:44    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
[Update] "Unknown network device (smb)" is a message from CUPS when it cannot access a backend device properly.

Have you always been running Pnethood before you run CUPS? If so, don't.

I cannot swear that I have not always done that with the 4.2 frugal; I will try without it. I will also try patriot's suggestion...your efforts are very appreciated, both of you. I would very much love to get this going... Cool
steve_s

PostPosted: Mon 18 May 2009, 19:47    Post subject:  

Ahhh...good times.

CUPS, didn't pnethood, no dice, still same effect.

smbspool worked! But only if it is a text file, otherwise a one page document of anything but text prints 85 pages (give or take) of giberish, like it is doing right now...unplugging it didn't kill the queue, by the way, can't get it to stop... Confused such fun... Rolling Eyes wife's gonna kill me...how do I get it stop?! Obviously I need to figure some things out...

Ok, does this new info help us at all get this figured out?

**Edit: ok, it quit printing..y'all can quit laughing now... Very Happy I still need to figure out what to do with this new info, though...
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 18 May 2009, 21:29    Post subject:  

I was able to generate the "Unknown network device (smb)" message by replacing /opt/samba/bin/smbspool with a garbage version. I have attached the good copy for you to compare.

Sending a file directly to a printer with a command like smbclient without first processing it through the appropriate printer driver will most definitely produce a lot of waste paper.
smbspool.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  smbspool.gz 
Filesize  289.59 KB 
Downloaded  372 Time(s) 
steve_s

PostPosted: Tue 19 May 2009, 19:34    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
I was able to generate the "Unknown network device (smb)" message by replacing /opt/samba/bin/smbspool with a garbage version. I have attached the good copy for you to compare.

Sending a file directly to a printer with a command like smbclient without first processing it through the appropriate printer driver will most definitely produce a lot of waste paper.

And there it is! rcrsn51, you the man! That fixed it exactly! Downloaded it, fixed the sym link again, restarted cups, Windows printer on Samba was there like it should be, all systems go...can print just fine now whenever I want! Awesome! Nicely done... Cool
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 19 May 2009, 19:52    Post subject:  

Glad to help. But I don't understand how just one file in the ISO was bad, especially since you ran smbspool as separate command and it apparently did something.

By any chance is "smb" symlinked to the wrong file in /opt/samba/bin? You could boot off the Live CD and have a look.
steve_s

PostPosted: Wed 20 May 2009, 07:12    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Glad to help. But I don't understand how just one file in the ISO was bad, especially since you ran smbspool as separate command and it apparently did something.

By any chance is "smb" symlinked to the wrong file in /opt/samba/bin? You could boot off the Live CD and have a look.

No, smbspool kicked back the same error either via command or within the cups format we tried...I will reboot in 4.2 livecd and try it again, but it looks like exactly that file was bad...I'll post back.
Page 5 of 6 [87 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: