How to update QEMU-puppy 2.17 to 4.0?

Booting, installing, newbie
francus

#16 Post by francus »

Ok Bruce, let me know if you are able to get it!
all the best

Micke

#17 Post by Micke »

Hello everyone! As this is my first post here I'd first like to take the opportunity to say hello :-)

I've also tried to update qemu-puppy as I think that it's a great thing to use.

It seems to me that the only thing needed to do is replace:

*pup_217.sfs
*zdrv_217.sfs
*devx_217.sfs
*vmlinuz
*initrd.gz

with the corresponding files from puppy 4, as this as far as I can tell is the normal way of updating a frugal install of puppy. Then all that would need to be done is update puppy.sh and replace puppy.exe (perhaps with a puppy.bat, as a bat-file would be simpler to update). For some reason this doesn't seem to work though, and I can't figure out why...

The error message from qemu reads:
Searching for Puppy files in computer disk drives...pup_400.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console...
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned over,
/Micke

Lorion

#18 Post by Lorion »

This thread is exactly what I want to do with my puppy!
It would run as an application inside computers that were already booted.
It would boot from usb on machines that were capable of doing this.
Exactly thats what I am trying to do the whole day!

So get a paypal account and write me/us an easy to use qemu puppet 4.1...

I would be so happy!

brendoncdodd

#19 Post by brendoncdodd »

I am assuming from your post that by "install QEMU for your operating system" you mean to somehow install the emulator into the host computer and then run puppy with the emulator? Although that does sound like a good way of doing it on my own computers it wouldn't be acceptable on other people's computers.
Theoretically, you could "install" Qemu onto your flash drive, copy the Puppy 4.0 ISO onto it, and use a shell script or .bat file depending on the OS to make things easier on you. I think Qemu might run portably (I made that word up just now), as a matter of fact, I might have done so, I don't remember. Someone mentioned flash drive wear earlier, and that might pose a problem, though I have never had this problem myself, probably b/c I have never been able to keep a flash drive for more than a few months w/o losing it. :lol:

francus

Erik where are you?

#20 Post by francus »

Well, it seems that after Erik made quemu-puppy, nobody is able to update it. :shock:

Erikkkkkkkkk where are youuuuuuu???? :lol:

Bruce B

#21 Post by Bruce B »

I'm bothered about putting a Puppy image on a flash stick.

A Qemu image can be transfered from computer to computer,
platform to platform. The guest operating system would not know or
care what it is running on in a physical sense.

If someone wants to test a Qemu Puppy in Windows XP and is
willing to work with me some to refine run instructions, please let me
know.

I guess Dingo 4.00 would be the version. How big do you want the
image? No less than 500MB, 1GB 2GB. Anyone of these sizes will
compress down to about a 100MB download.

Maybe the most practical would be a 500MB + an empty 500MB for
using as /dev/hdb if wanted.

If Pizzasgood reads this post, maybe he has a way to run a self
bootable, self contained frugal image on a flash stick. The problem
is Puppy thinks its running on a hard disk.

The virtual hard disk would be hda, the partition would hda1 and it
will have grub to add additional commands.

The question is: how can you fool Puppy running on a hard disk to
behave as if it were on a flash stick, meaning: managing and limiting
writes the way it does when it knows its on a flash stick?

? ? ?

T_Hobbit

#22 Post by T_Hobbit »

I'm interested in update Qemu-Puppy and travel with it installed in my USB pendrive: that way if I can boot the computer I run Puppy frugal install, if I cannot boot the computer I run Puppy with Qemu,

Attention: pupwinqe and qemu-puppy are diferent projects with diferent goals that run in diferent ways:
- pupwinqe emulates an ISO file,
- qemu-puppy emulates a frugal install of Puppy 2.17!

robermann79

#23 Post by robermann79 »

Does anyone had success porting qemupuppy to puppy 4.xx ?

robermann79

#24 Post by robermann79 »

Micke wrote:Hello everyone! As this is my first post here I'd first like to take the opportunity to say hello :-)

I've also tried to update qemu-puppy as I think that it's a great thing to use.

It seems to me that the only thing needed to do is replace:

*pup_217.sfs
*zdrv_217.sfs
*devx_217.sfs
*vmlinuz
*initrd.gz

with the corresponding files from puppy 4, as this as far as I can tell is the normal way of updating a frugal install of puppy. Then all that would need to be done is update puppy.sh and replace puppy.exe (perhaps with a puppy.bat, as a bat-file would be simpler to update). For some reason this doesn't seem to work though, and I can't figure out why...

The error message from qemu reads:
Searching for Puppy files in computer disk drives...pup_400.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console...
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned over,
/Micke
I also tried your option, but it does not load the .sfs files.

IMHO the secret is in Erik's patch http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/qemupuppy/do ... .diff.html: the patch loads manually the partitions - for example:

Code: Select all

mount -t ext3		-o noatime,rw		/dev/hda	/pup_ro1
So, in order to work in 4.xx, it would require a change in the /sbin/init inside the initrd.gz file. What do you think?

ICPUG

#25 Post by ICPUG »

robermann79

I concur with your opinion. To follow Erik's way you would need to modify the init file.

I think the PupWINQE approach may be easier - but this is even more out of date!

I ran a Google search of 'puppy QEMU' and came up with two interesting targets.

http://untrammelled.co.uk/node/11

This seems to be following a PupWINQE approach with a series 4 Puppy

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1
/gleaming-the-cube-or-the-real-qemu-puppy-or-the-portable-cross-platform-os-736043/

(sorry no hyperlink here cos I did not want to make the forum screen go too wide!)

I think this as putting Puppy and QEMU on a stick like Erik. It uses BrowserPup and I am not sure what series that is based on.

If you have some time and get some success with one of these methods I am sure we would all like to know!

mderemick

I got QEMU-Win working with 4.3.1 - Newbie

#26 Post by mderemick »

I am a linux newbie (well not really, but the last time I played with linux was 10 years ago or more) so please excuse me if I am doing something incorrect.

Before I get started, I just want to say how much I love puppy linux. Everything was really easy to setup and use, and the idea of bringing my desktop and applications with me wherever I go was really enticing.

With that said, I really wanted to be able to use QEMU with puppy as well. After searching for a day or two reading about setting up QEMU (v 0.10.6 Windows) I was able to get it working the way I wanted.

Here's what I did:

1) Use UNetBootIn to create the USB key - I used this because it was really simple and I had already downloaded the pup-431.iso to write to the key.
2) Boot puppy and set the save file - for some reason, I could not boot puppy on QEMU before setting up the pupsave - this could be because I was trying on an x64 system however - I am not really sure.
3) Download QEMU 0.10.6 for windows, extract to the USB key in the directory ?:\QEMU\
4) I then did some basic windows batch scripting (also havnt done that in 10 years so excuse me if it's not the best way to do it) as well as an Autorun file and a puppy Icon to place in the root of the drive.

Now, when I insert the drive into the computer with windows running I can launch QEMU from the Autorun popup *(actually it launches my batch file to launch QEMU).

I am sure this may help a few less-than-technical people, and perhaps some experts alike.

Notes:
I am still working out how to use x64 - havnt had the chance to try it again - and I'm also still learning how to use QEMU better.
I did not try the accellerator yet, im waiting to try it on a laptop I'm about to wipe and reinstall because I've heard it can mess with your system.

Any comments and feedback are most welcome!
Attachments
QEMU_Launcher.rar
The Autorun, Icon and Batch file I use
(6.31 KiB) Downloaded 438 times

mikeb

#27 Post by mikeb »

I use Erik's standalone allinoneqemu all the time and just launch it like normal qemu...I found his puppy implementaion a little complicated compared to just running the standard qemu way.

mike

robermann79

#28 Post by robermann79 »

Thanks for your answer.
ICPUG wrote: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1
/gleaming-the-cube-or-the-real-qemu-puppy-or-the-portable-cross-platform-os-736043/
This seems a dead project - download links do not work anymore. What a shame! :)

robermann79

Re: I got QEMU-Win working with 4.3.1 - Newbie

#29 Post by robermann79 »

mderemick wrote:Any comments and feedback are most welcome!
Well my feedback is positive! It could be optimized, but it just works. I've just tried it with a mine previous Unetbootin Puppy key.

If I'm not wrong, you downloaded QEMU Windows binaries from http://homepage3.nifty.com/takeda-toshiya/. And, when your script asks for "Which Drive would you like to try to boot from?", the answer is a number (this puzzled me for a while until I googled it).

I'll keep doing some test, thank you.

mderemick

Re: I got QEMU-Win working with 4.3.1 - Newbie

#30 Post by mderemick »

robermann79 wrote: If I'm not wrong, you downloaded QEMU Windows binaries from http://homepage3.nifty.com/takeda-toshiya/.
You are correct, Sir. I did not want to include them in my archive because I think there is another version out already. I am using 0.10.6 as stated above.
robermann79 wrote: And, when your script asks for "Which Drive would you like to try to boot from?", the answer is a number (this puzzled me for a while until I googled it).
Yes, because QEMU wants to boot from "//./PortableDriveX" where X is the number of the drive, counting from 0 I believe.

Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to run, before I'm able to correctly select which USB device I want to boot from.
robermann79 wrote: I'll keep doing some test, thank you.
Thank you for the feedback.

robermann79

#31 Post by robermann79 »

This is my experimentation. All the files are inside the attachment.
EDIT: added also the kqemu Windows's driver

Code: Select all

This file contains a "proof of concept" about making a portable Puppy 4 distro, that is:
- an USB key bootable Puppy installation, which also is
- capable of running inside another Linux or Windows operating system, thanks to QEMU

This work (distributed with a GPL license) is in no way original and of course I don't claim any right :). It is based on:
- Erik Veenstra's "QEMU-Puppy"
  - see http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/qemupuppy/index.html
  - in detail, I'm including his: 
    - "allinoneqemu.exe" binary
    - "allinoneqemu_linux" binary
    - Linux script implementation
- mderemick's "QEMU_Launcher"
  - see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29107&start=15
  - I implemented his idea of using UNetbootin for installing Puppy and then use QEMU with it

Follow these steps:
1. peek an USB key (I used an 8 Gb key)
2. with UNetbootin  install Puppy in the USB key:
 2.1 download an ISO (I installed Puppy 4.3.1 - see http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/puppy-4.3.1/pup-431.iso)
 2.2 download and run UNetbootin (from http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net)
 2.3 on UNetbootin, click on "Disk Image", choose the ISO just downloaded, choose the USB drive and click OK
3. in the same key copy (in the root directory):
 - allinoneqemu.exe
 - allinoneqemu_linux
 - winqemu.bat
   - this try also to start the kqemu service for best performances. If you want install it on Windows, right-click on kqemu.inf, then click "Install"
 - linqemu.sh
   - if in the PATH there is already a preinstalled qemu command, it uses that, appending the "-kernel-kqemu" option
 - kqemu.inf and kqemu.sys
   - (Windows's driver for kqemu)

That is it, you have a portable Puppy.

My further steps were:
4. the first run was in Windows (winqemu.bat), when I saved the Puppy personal file (this step created also the swap file)
5. restart, booting directly from the key
6. restart and launching linqemu.sh from another Linux

Just as a test, I used also a QEMU tunnel port: 8000 guest's port can be accessed from the 5555 host's port. Then I started DidiWiki (which do run in port 8000) in the guest, and accessed it from the host, for example:
wget http://localhost:5555

As you can see, both the scripts are just a hint, they can be improved in many ways (configurability, logging). And I'm not a QEMU hacker, as you can see. Feel free to enhance them in any way - and, to really feel free, share them :)
Last edited by robermann79 on Sat 19 Dec 2009, 19:27, edited 7 times in total.

ICPUG

#32 Post by ICPUG »

EDIT - These comments are no longer relevant as robermann79 has updated his instructions above.

robermann79

Sorry to be picky but this is beginning to look really good. I (and newbies) like step by step instructions.

The Readme talks of QEMU and Erik's files (a link to these would be nice) . However it does not say where/how to implement mderemick's stuff - unless this is some of the stuff in step 3.

How is the subsequent dwnload file here (used/implemented)?

Here's a suggestion. Start with a blank flash drive and follow your instructions word for word. If you find along the way you have to do something not in the instructions then add it to the instructions. Be really careful to ensure you don't assume the reader knows something. For example in step 3 you say copy in some files. Where - in the root directory?
Last edited by ICPUG on Fri 18 Dec 2009, 13:03, edited 1 time in total.

robermann79

#33 Post by robermann79 »

ICPUG wrote: Here's a suggestion. Start with a blank flash drive and follow your instructions word for word. If you find along the way you have to do something not in the instructions then add it to the instructions. Be really careful to ensure you don't assume the reader knows something.
Mmm this was my goal and I followed my own steps with a blank key. Maybe it was not clear that all what you need is inside the attachment (it was a tar.gz, now is a ZIP). Unzip and copy them in the key :)
EDIT: I've just updated the README

mikeb

#34 Post by mikeb »

Yeah...I used Erik's setup with puppy 2 during a stint in college...was really handy.

I believe he is a member here

mike

robermann79

#35 Post by robermann79 »

I just tried the above scripts with also a DSL linux (http://ftp.belnet.be/packages/damnsmall ... 4.4.10.iso) - really handy :)