Puppy 4.0 Dingo Nearly Office Pup (NOP)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Henry

Thanks for Nop 4 r1

#46 Post by Henry »

Gray,

Just to express my appreciation for another businesslike puppy ( or dingo?). Nop just makes sense for me. Solid and adaptable.

This is how my linux goes:
1 - I follow with fascination Barry's continuous new work.
2 - When it reaches a new level of apparent solidity, I look for you to bring out a corresponding new Nop.
3 - I promptly use it to upgrade my current OS.

This is fun, and I go through it thoroughly, tidying, connecting, removing redundancies, rewarded with a smooth, solid linux of my own.

My aim is for a modest, compact, functionally complete sytem. So far I have added and tested qemu (win2k), scanning, OCR, web page editing, photo editing, gpg, and support for all my publishing business and personal requirements. I don't feel I'm ready to cut over completely yet, but there's no doubt that I could.

The Thunar file manager is elegant and easy. It makes using and adapting puppy comfortable for regular people like me. Placing shortcuts in its left panel is especially convenient. The other bits of Xfce are good too - well, Xfburn is smooth but somewwhat limited. The Xfxe clipboard stacker is wonderful. Don't ever drop that!

Well, that's my story. Don't be surprised if I ask more questions. I promise I will. Oh, here's a screenshot of my (autohidden) upper panel.

Henry
Attachments
upperpanel.png
(42.88 KiB) Downloaded 1855 times

gray

xfburn, pburn & dillo et al

#47 Post by gray »

Henry, I can see your problem with xfburn. It does not follow the link for /mnt/home :? when creating a data compilation. Workaround by drilling down through the /initrd/mnt/dev_save route. I chucked pburn for xfburn because I was having problems with the recent versions of Pburn (1.5 on ?) - very slow to start (as in many minutes) if I had my 80Gb NTFS drive mounted and could take up to 20 minutes to even start the burn pop up gui if I tried to burn a file from the hard drive. If pburn gets fixed I will probably adopt it again. I like your toolbar - very efficient :)

Prehistoric, I think it is "only" a matter of porting Dillo to gtk2 - but I fear that is a pretty big job :twisted: .

Henry

Pburn/Xfburn

#48 Post by Henry »

My mistake, Gray - I thought you had kept Pburn in addition to Xfburn since there was no way for me to uninstall Pburn. I have now removed it manually. Xfburn is good for my purposes since I don't burn audio CDs. If I did I would reinstall Pburn or get something else.

Henry

Henry

whiteout files?

#49 Post by Henry »

Gray,

The accumulation of large numbers of unnecessary whiteout files is not particular to Nop, although it seems to be exacerbated by Opera. This is an inelegant aspect of puppy that I hope Barry will address further. True, they are zero length, but I cannot imagine they would be without some consequence.

When I searched for .wh files I had about 30,000 of them. I only vaguely understand .wh files, but the number of them seems to go up, not down. There's a large variety of them. Perhaps some of these are leftovers from previous puppy versions - I've carefully upgraded my basic pup_save through quite a few versions. Everything seems to work perfectly. I also wondered if some of these are the result of deleting opera mailboxes (and other tests of claws, etc.) to start over? These have vast numbers of files, and are unwieldy (slow) to backup or delete. Of course my mailboxes were moved out of pup_save a long time ago to /mnt/home/More/ Mail.

Working on this many files with Pfinder is slow, but I was able to manually delete several hundred .wh files. The total count went down and stayed down by approx. that amount. So all these files are not needed, as I would expect. Is there a tool to automatically delete unneeded .wh files?

Now searching in the forum I found this by MU:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29707

Per his suggestion there I put this line
find /initrd/pup_rw/$HOME/.opera -type f -name '.wh.[^dir][a-z]*[A-Z]*[0-9]*' -exec rm -f {} ';'
in /root/.xinitrc just after the line #!/bin/sh

The first time I rebooted X took a little longer to open, but when it did there were 17,000 .wh files instead if 30,000. The other lines in Mark's note don't do much, but this seems a step in the right direction.

UPDATE: Later in http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29707
floborg suggested:
find /initrd/pup_rw/root/.opera -type f -name '.wh.[^dir]*' -exec rm -f {} ';'
This reduced the number of .wh files to 2334.

I further manually removed various .wh files from cups, trashinfo, mtab~, gftp, etc, etc., getting down to about 1500. There must be a better way :-)
Last edited by Henry on Sun 01 Jun 2008, 21:32, edited 8 times in total.

m2h

#50 Post by m2h »

SSL is missing from NOP 400. Puppy 400 has it.
Installed Pidgin, tried to connect to MSN account. SSL error.
I know I could add it myself, but I'm still getting to grips with how Puppy works.

Dual booting Puppy 400 and NOP 400.

dinky

#51 Post by dinky »

Hi Gray, thanks for your enthusiasm for TigerPup awhile back, it has become a full fledged pupplet, incorporating elements of both wNOP and NOP. I haven't ported it to puppy4 yet because Compiz-Fusion development is still young. Has anyone had any success getting Compiz-Fusion to run in NOP4?

Anyway, I've been trying to update the xfce version of hotpup to the latest fix if TigerPup, without much success. Can you tell me what you did initially to get hotpup working in xfce, and any steps you'd suggest me trying? Have you managed to incorporate the latest fixes into NOP4, or have you managed to do this for Puppy 3.01? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.
~dinky
p.s. The thread for the updated hotpup is here: http://www.puppylinux.org/downloads/puplets/tigerpup
TigerPup is now here: http://www.puppylinux.org/wiki/archives ... s/tigerpup

Henry

Opera check mail, Error console, Opera 9.5 experience

#52 Post by Henry »

When in Opera, ctl+k should check mail, but does nothing. (I have Nop 4r1 and Opera 9.27, but was same in earlier versions.) I have to mouse to Menu/Mail/Read Mail. By comparison, ctl+e opens compose mail as it should. Any advice/confirmation of this?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I had previously complained about the intrusive Opera error console. Search in the Opera support knowledge base for:
Error Console appears inadvertently and follow the instructions there. Now the error console hardly ever appears.

These items have nothing to do with Nop as such, but the Opera browser is central so they are real user concerns. Nop itself remains the most satisfactory, businesslike Puppy that I have seen.

Not one to leave well enough alone, I installed Opera 9.5, which was just released today (June 11, 2008). I did not uninstall 9.27 first, perhaps should have? I used Opera-9.50.pet from Wolf Pup. The tab bar is very dark, practically illegible, but I downloaded the classic skin as a workaround. I saw numerous complaints about this. Control+k still doesn't check mail. Otherwise the browser works fine, assumed my profile, and reindexed my mail (which I don't understand). However -

The free space in pup_save decreased by about 20M, and by about 10M more after working for a while. The 10M is recovered after a reboot.

Gray, I trust you will be considering 9.5 in a future Nop. Would be interested in your impressions. Of course there's no need to update Nop 4.0 r1 now, as it works perfectly. And I guess you are not keen on following Dingo 4.x too closely untill any doubts Barry has about unionfs are resolved.
==================================================
Resolution:
Seeing a loss of free space and no compelling advantages I reverted from Opera 9.50 to 9.27. I will wait for 9.5 to be properly integrated into a new Nop.

I deleted the reindexed mailboxes, resetup my email account, and now control + k works to check mail! That was a strange problem.

voltaire99

NOP 4.0 iso problem

#53 Post by voltaire99 »

Firstly, I just wanted to say that puppy is great, and I think that Puppy with XFCE and Thunar sounds awesome, so I thought NOP 4.0 would be perfect, so I downloaded the puppy-400-NOP-r1.iso from "http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/NOP/." When I booted the iso I was presented with regular puppy4.0 with jwm etc. Am I missing something, or was there a mistake with the iso?

rabadi

#54 Post by rabadi »

Hi Gray, thanks for NOP. I was wondering if there is a WakePUP for NOP 4?

wlake

#55 Post by wlake »

I would like to add my compliments for this puppy derivative. Great job.

One thing I like in particular is that the drive icons' labels on the desktop give the partition name rather than the size of the partition. This is great for me since I have many partitions with the same size. Could any one tell me how Xfce was configured to do this? Thanks.

wlake

kayan

thunar exploring problem

#56 Post by kayan »

i am using NOP 4 ( frugal install) :D , had problem in assesing windows ntfs partition, i updated my NOP4 to NOP_r1 release through Delta3, now i cannot access my home partion after running for 30 minutes :shock: ,But i do not have any problem when used in official relese Puppy 4 :lol:
please help

voltaire99

#57 Post by voltaire99 »

Regarding my post above: I was mistaken, I had a puppy install elsewhere that the NOP 4 cd was loading. I'm sorry if I created confusion. Now that I have been able to have a look at NOP 4 I must say that it is awesome. I use it most of the time now. The only problem I ever have is a hang just before reaching the grub menu when I try to restart, but I will tackle that some other time. Once again, thanks for the very awesome NOP 4.

prehistoric

ever read PM?

#58 Post by prehistoric »

Hi gray,

I sent you a PM in May and just found it sitting in outbox. Could you take a look and get back to me. This is off topic and I'm not sure about starting a new topic.

prehistoric

Plankton

#59 Post by Plankton »

Nice work gray. Just one little problem, I cant get XaraLx o.7 to work (I downloaded the 26Mb .pet version with all dpendency in it). Seems like something is missing. Any suggestion?
ManyThanks...

Ah yes, this is my desktop

kinjeng

openoffice

#60 Post by kinjeng »

helo I use Nop 4.0 Dingo. but i got several problem with this
before this i use wnop and all it's oke,
the problem on Nop 4 is:

1. after i install openoffice 2.2 cutdown, it show " no suiitable windows system found, exiting" at console
2. i can't share folder onto network using Muppy-SMB again

what did i miss it?

thx for help
Last edited by kinjeng on Tue 15 Jul 2008, 17:47, edited 2 times in total.

nooby

#61 Post by nooby »

Gray wrote
I have had a problem with previous versions of NOP and this one too, where the file manager Thunar would lock up
I'm completely new to this NOP but have used Puppy 400 for a week or so.

I learned to mount sda1 very fast. within some hours but in your NOP
I totally fail to find Sda1. Mount doesn't find it either. Only the DVD.

What could I do about it. I want to test latest opera cause it is handy to have
email built in. It played youtube right away but it failed with
playrapport.se so maybe I have to find other solutions for that one.

I could maybe add realplayer and flashplayer and Firefox?

runtt21

menu question

#62 Post by runtt21 »

How do you add a listing to the menu?I want to add some games and I need to put the "fun" option back in the main menu.I cant seem to do it with the menu editor.

LOL My bad, never mind.
Last edited by runtt21 on Fri 18 Jul 2008, 22:07, edited 2 times in total.

runtt21

menu question

#63 Post by runtt21 »

sorry for the double post

phutte

No internet connection.

#64 Post by phutte »

NOP4 is what I would like to have as my OS, it will rock? Or...?
Running from LiveCD, All OK!
Full HD install, can't connect to internet.
Update (over MacPup), works, but messes up to looks quite hard.
Frugal, if I remember, it works, but thats not how I want it structually on my filesystem.

It's the 'Full HD'-install I want, or I will try to (swearing now: try to patch SliTaz to work with a Swedish keyboard layout :o)
Anyone else experienced problems with eth0 connection (not wireless)?

Once again, WOW, me like petting small puppy ;o)
Keep it up, we binary autists!

./phutte-SWE

zoegy

#65 Post by zoegy »

I am using NOP since it has margin facility.

My NB has AMD Geode LX Video and 1024x600 screen. X works at 1024x768 (both vesa and xorg), and I am using margin to make my maximum windows at 1024x600. Problem happen when doing presentation which still 1024x600

I found AMD GeodeLX driver and ttuuxx helped me to make it as PET file, but the driver isn't loaded at all (so does original puppy)

I tried to modify xorg.conf but every boot NOP always make new xorg.conf.

Battery meter and wifi also undetected.

However, only NOP that can display windows max at 1024x600, which other linuxes can't (I tried ubuntu,kubuntu,xubuntu,fluxbuntu,and pepper)

Thanks