Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 31 Aug 2014, 06:20
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Puppy 4.0 Dingo Nearly Office Pup (NOP)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 6 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
gray

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2008, 07:58    Post_subject:  Puppy 4.0 Dingo Nearly Office Pup (NOP)
Sub_title: An xfce4 pupplet

As recommended in the announcement thread, this is topic area for discussion of the Dingo based NOP pupplet.

This is remaster of puppy 4.0 Dingo with jwm / rox replaced entirely the Xfce4 desktop system using Opera as the browser. NOP is a minimalist approach with office apps removed allowing the user to add OpenOffice using an SFS pack.

Download from http://www.puppylinux.ca/NOP

Suggestions for improvements, problem reports etc should be included in this thread.

Now at Revision 1 ;
removed gtkam
replaced pburn with xfburn
updated Pschedule to v0.6
updated Pwireless to v0.8.3
updated Pbackup to v3.10
updated Pfilesearch to v1.5
added mtpaint
removed fotox
added gpicviewer
fixed a few little bugs
tweaked the size of petget GUI to fit smaller screens

Edited_time_total
gray

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2008, 08:14    Post_subject: Xfce video thumbnailer  

I have had a problem with previous versions of NOP and this one too, where the file manager Thunar would lock up. I didnt know what was causing this until now. It always happened if I looked in the /root/.opera folder.

It only happens if the thumbnails option is active, and is caused by the presence of files with a .dat extension. These are perversely registered as mpeg video mime types, and so the video thumbnailer tries to create a thumbnail image accordingly. However, I have never seen a video dat file - they are usually data files of various formats. Suffice it to say that the thumbnailer takes it's bat and ball home and refuses to play. Confused

The fix is easy, and will be included in future NOP re-issues / versions. For now though, you can correct the problem as follows.

Edit the file /usr/local/libexec/ffmpeg-thumbnailer with mousepad to insert the line:

[ ${ifile/*./} = "dat" ] && exit

after the size=$3 line

This causes the .dat files to be ignored Very Happy
Sage

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2008, 08:24    Post_subject:  

Quote:
Suggestions for improvements, problem reports etc should be included in this thread.

Added a few items to my earlier posting on the Announcements thread.
setecio

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2008, 03:45    Post_subject: Re: Puppy 4.0 Dingo Nearly Office Pup (NOP)
Sub_title: An xfce4 pupplet

gray wrote:
NOP is a minimalist approach with office apps removed allowing the user to add OpenOffice using an SFS pack.

Don't forget goffice as well for those of us on less powerful machines.

There is a post in the announcement thread where they couldn't get OO to load .... I suggested a rename to _400.sfs might be necessary. If this is true could you put a renamed version of goffice_400.sfs in the download location http://www.puppylinux.ca/NOP/ to avoid confusion.

Thanks.
gray

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2008, 08:28    Post_subject: goffice  

Setecio, I have just uploaded a goffice_400.sfs.

However, this new sfs now includes Gimp 2.4.5 as well as Inkscapelite, Abiword 2.6.2 (+ all plugins) and Gnumeric 1.8.2, so it is much bigger.

Davec51 asked how to change desktop shortcut icons. You cannot change the three default ones (trash, file system, Home) without changing the whole icon theme, but ones you have added yourself you can easily change. Right click on the desktop shortcut to get a context menu and select 'Edit Launcher', then click on the icon picture in the gui and use the file selector that pops up to change the picture.
setecio

PostPosted: Wed 14 May 2008, 04:35    Post_subject:  

Excellent, thanks Gray.
Jaybekay

PostPosted: Wed 14 May 2008, 13:31    Post_subject:  

I can't believe that this is an 80MB OS. Wow. And even after adding in abiword, gnumeric and mtpaint it is still under the "magic" 100MB. IMO this is easily the best compromise between size, functionality and aesthetics. Thank you for leaving out alll those uneccessary little apps.

How did you create this? Did you use unleashed?
Henry

PostPosted: Wed 14 May 2008, 16:08    Post_subject: Nop 4.0 excels.  

Nop 4.0 has become my standard Linux. Here is my screen shot. Anyone interested in installing Qemu on it could see
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=189348#189348
(Depending on the machine, emulation may be slow, as in Photoshop Elements, but full screen editing in WordPerfect is just fine.)
qemu2k.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  qemu2k.png 
Filesize  299.76 KB 
Downloaded  5319 Time(s) 

Edited_time_total
Fishy

PostPosted: Wed 14 May 2008, 17:53    Post_subject: Single Click Desktop Icons?  

I have looked everywhere for a desktop setting to change it to single click to activate the desktop icons! I looked all though NOP 301 and now NOP Dingo.

Probably something very simple that I am overlooking but please help. Double clicking brings back memories of Windows. Laughing
Henry

PostPosted: Wed 14 May 2008, 18:34    Post_subject:  

Fishy,

Only gray can say for sure, but I think you're out of luck here. Personally, I blank them out in Settings Manager, Desktop. I don't need the clever hotpup mounter and turn it off, preferring to automount and/or use pmount. The other desktop icons are replaced by icons in the upper panel. This way it's all single click. (The panels are autohidden of course.) I use the desktop for the clock Smile

[Clarification: The hotpup mounting is very well done, but I keep my main data partition automounted, which is all I normally need.]

Henry

Edited_times_total
setecio

PostPosted: Thu 15 May 2008, 04:55    Post_subject:  

Sadly NOP4 isn't working for me. The WPA wireless connection is constantly giving problems and won't start on reboot, fails to acquire a WPA connection, and sometimes establishes itself on 'testing' ath0. It is also difficult to get it re-established. I'm using a Netgear WGT511T and WPA which work flawlessly in NOP3.01 and I can just reboot into NOP3.01 and it all works fine.

The problem is exactly the same in the standard Dingo Puppy 4, so I will just stick with NOP3.01 in the meantime until I have time to try and identify and fix it. Sad
Sage

PostPosted: Thu 15 May 2008, 05:29    Post_subject:  

Xfce is a little bizarre over mouse behaviour. The 'single click' option isn't located in anything obvious like 'Mouse' but in Settings Manager/File Manager/Behaviour. Even more weird is that it doesn't always operate on the desktop icons themselves, only inside apps.
Locky

PostPosted: Sat 17 May 2008, 08:10    Post_subject:  remaster puppy live CD issues and some other questions  

Hi,

First off I'm really impressed with NOP. A great looking puplet!

As I'm kinda into the appearance of the desktop I wanted to change some things to my liking. So after making some minor adjustments I ran the remaster live cd script. Unfortunately things didn't go as smoothly as hoped and puppy could not find the pza_400.sfs or zdrv_400.sfs. I think it was looking for and earlier version. Where can I edit the code to load these files?

Also I would like to be able to modify the menu. The last puppy I used was years ago and before the new "universal" menu layout. How do I make an alternative lout for me and preserve the original If I need/want to switch back. I can't make heads or tails of the new menu - but then again I haven't spent too much time on it - tips appreciated.

Changing the icons by simply unpacking into /root/.icons/ lead to mixed results. Desktop icons and menu defaulting the xfce fall back icon, rebuilding the icon cache didn't help. Tips?

Is there a dev.sfs for NOP4?

I can't get goffice_400.sfs to load, or any other .sfs file even if I change the name to XXX_400.sfs and selecting in the boot manager. The sfs files are in the / directory (I have a HD full install). What's wrong?

On a side note I'm looking for a music program that I can sync my ipod with. Amarok would be great but a little large, banshee OK. However these two require lots of libraries. (I've tried songbird but just didn't like it and it didn't work too well). Any lightweight option out there?

Cheers
Locky
LL_Desk.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   21.16 KB
 Viewed   9209 Time(s)

LL_Desk.jpg

Edited_time_total
Fossil

PostPosted: Sat 17 May 2008, 11:26    Post_subject:  

@Locky

In the interest of all those who do not have such large monitor's and detest having to scroll back and forth to read the text, please resize your screenshot to a more suitable 600 pixels.
Thank you.
prehistoric

PostPosted: Sat 17 May 2008, 13:01    Post_subject: beautiful!  

This one is a beauty, Grey!

I'm running this on the infamous $25 (US) machine (500 MHz Compaq iPaq desktop with 128 MG RAM) described in mechmike's thread on cheap boxes for Puppy, along with about four other Puplets. (Be sure to read past the post describing it as DOA.)

I have the same questions a Locky in two regards: 1) how to use the nice Xfce menu editing and still have the default menu around when I need it; 2) getting those sfs files accepted by the boot manager. I can incorporate these files into the 400 sfs using MU's combiner, but feel sure there is another way for unsophisticated users.

Because this box lacks any CD drive (or floppy), the install was non-standard. I copied files from an ISO image and edited the existing grub menu.lst to add a frugal install with files in a named subdirectory. Here are the current Puppy entries:
Code:

# Linux bootable partition config begins
  title wNOP 0.2 Linux (on /dev/hda1)
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=normal
# Linux bootable partition config ends

title Muppy 008.3c Linux (frugal on /dev/hda1)
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /Muppy083/vmlinuz  vga=normal PMEDIA=idehd psubdir=Muppy083
  initrd /Muppy083/initrd.gz

title NOP 3.01 Linux (frugal on /dev/hda1)
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /NOP301/vmlinuz  vga=normal PMEDIA=idehd psubdir=NOP301
  initrd /NOP301/initrd.gz

title bluedog Linux 1.00 (frugal on /dev/hda3)
  root (hd0,2)
  kernel /bluedog/vmlinuz  vga=normal PMEDIA=idehd psubdir=bluedog
  initrd /bluedog/initrd.gz

title NOP 4.00 Linux (frugal on /dev/hda3)
  root (hd0,2)
  kernel /NOP400/vmlinuz vga=normal PMEDIA=idehd psubdir=NOP400
  initrd /NOP400/initrd.gz
The only reason NOP 4.00 is at the bottom is that it was only just added. Because the infamous i810 video doesn't wobble on this box, I intend to replace wNOP with a different full install, or a "frugal install on steroids". (We need a compact term here.)

Problems: 1) on a 500 MHz box with limited RAM the slow startup of Opera for reading local HTML documentation is intolerable; (How about using 300 KB for dillo?) 2) when I first started up I began losing desktop icons after a few minutes; (This happened on several attempts.) 3) the boot manager can't find sfs files in the psubdir, and at start up that's where the boot command tells it to look. (This might be different if I had installed from a real CD with PUI.)

Overall, this is extraordinary, for such a new release.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 6 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum