Vector Linux is great!

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
vector

#24 Post by vector »

Well for one maybe package management we have a modified checkinstall in VL that not only produces packages from source also finds the deps and makes a nice litlle slack tgz file that slapt-get can understand. As your distro matures you will find installing packages will become a much bigger deal than anticipated..WE have the tools already in place but i would like to see the niche players agree on a package management system we can all benefit from my vote is slapt-get (also gslapt) and the slackware tgz package system. Just my 2 cents worth.
cheers,
vec

cygnus

#25 Post by cygnus »

I installed Vector Linux 4.3 and thought it was a nice OS. I couldn't get it to run properly on my cursed little old laptop, so I kept looking for an alternative. I ran across another nice Slackware-based distro called Minislack. It's very well put together, but is much more hands-on than Vector (especially in package management). Still, both are nice, and I think Vector would be a good partner for Puppy.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Craig

#26 Post by Craig »

Is Vector going to have a Linux 2.6.x version out soon?

Thanks-
-Craig

gnomen

#27 Post by gnomen »

Craig wrote:Is Vector going to have a Linux 2.6.x version out soon?
I should think you could compile your own.. Anyway, I am running the Dynamite release of VL and it comes with a 2.6 option. You cannot chose it during the installation, but it shows up in the bootloader
fake it until you make it

pengel

Vector 5.1 Standard Edition

#28 Post by pengel »

Vector 5.1 Standard Edition came out on Tuesday

Kernel 2.6.12
Glibc-2.3.4
Xorg-6.8.2

mysticmarks

#29 Post by mysticmarks »

Barry, I'm just reading this all and need to comfirm this. Are you moving away from T2?
What package management are you trying to work with? The PPM can be recoded to incorporate others. I did it.
I'd love a team to help code a new Package manager that doesn't exist and would work for ALL distros. Most of the code and program exists, it just needs a small modification to become this creation.

I'm trying to capture what has given puppy its greatest strengths...and then force it to breed with Slitaz and sabayon in a staged deployment system(puppy is integral in scaling for a range systems). Honestly, Im ready for a new system that ALL nix users can come together on. Puppy forum has been THEE learning ground for THE BEST linux distro scripting. Period. NOT the cleanest per say, but the most evolving scripts and interfaces out there guys. IT has played a big role in what else has gone on. The others all have major strengths to contribute too. ...Too much seperation of the linux group. Especially in the primary objective of a Open source full alternative to the rest. :wink:

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#30 Post by Lobster »

This thread is from 2005, which in Internet time = aprox 1850 :wink:

Barry is currently compiling for a completely different processor
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02799
A package manager/appet for Arch, Debian, Android and Puppy would be most welcome . . . :)
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppySchoolRaspberryPi

x86 developing too
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyVersionIndex
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Billtoo

Vector Linux is great!

#31 Post by Billtoo »

Lobster wrote:This thread is from 2005, which in Internet time = aprox 1850 :wink:
Vector Linux is still great :) screenshot is of Vector Linux Gold 7
Attachments
Screenshot-3.jpg
(18.09 KiB) Downloaded 1317 times

rjbrewer

Re: Vector Linux is great!

#32 Post by rjbrewer »

Billtoo wrote:
Vector Linux is still great :) screenshot is of Vector Linux Gold 7
I was given a nice Latitude D820 the other day; core2;
4Gb ram.
Needs a battery and sata drive so I can do a Snow Leopard
Hackintosh.

Until then; did a full install of Vector Gold 7 to external usb
ide drive.

Looks and works terrific! :)

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

01micko

#33 Post by 01micko »

Today I did a Vector 7 light version install on my r51 Thinkpad, seems to fit the bill nicely.. even has gtkdialog-0.8 as a default app.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Bligh

#34 Post by Bligh »

I've run Vector Linux 6 classic and loved it. I have also booted Vector 7 gold live, but it is a lot different.
Cheers

seaside

#35 Post by seaside »

I just tried Vector 7 gold live installed in a usb thumb drive.

It was booted using standard grub installed on the usb drive and ran very nicely except that making a persistent directory on the boot thumb drive did not work.

Has anyone been able to make this work with a persistent save?

Cheers,
s

roadkill13

#36 Post by roadkill13 »

I just tried Vector 7 gold live installed in a usb thumb drive.
Interesting. Vector Linux is a traditional Linux OS. The Live CD is for demo purposes. It is possible to install the Live CD to HDD per Vector Linux documentation. However, it is recommended that the user install the operating system from a standard installable CD.

mikeslr

Vector Linux: What's to love?

#37 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Guys,

This is not to put down any distro, especially Vector Linux which I can't test very much as it does not support my wifi OOTB.

But I tried to a while back because I liked the possibilities of Xfce. But now we have Saluki which uses Xfce. And a Xfce pet for Lupu/Lucid. The latter works fine, although customizing it is not as simple as doing so in Saluki. And, of course, there's Grey's various NOP puplets.

So, the questions arise --especially suited for this forum-- (1) What advantage does Vector have over Puppy? and (2) Can it be incorporated into Puppy?

mikesLr

Billtoo

Re: Vector Linux: What's to love?

#38 Post by Billtoo »

mikeslr wrote: So, the questions arise --especially suited for this forum-- (1) What advantage does Vector have over Puppy?
mikesLr
The gslapt package manager is better than the ppm, fast downloads and more recent versions of programs to choose from.
More packages in the repo too.

That's the main advantage that I see anyhow.
Attachments
Screenshot-4.jpg
(50.33 KiB) Downloaded 841 times