"Fire Hydrant 3.0" 192MB java, flash, firefox,Gimpshop,"

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ttuuxxx

"Fire Hydrant 3.0" 192MB java, flash, firefox,Gimpshop,"

#1 Post by ttuuxxx »

Update fixed in 3.01 release.
Puppy 3.0 had a problem with PPPoE 3.8, a fix for the problem was a simple and posted here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 64&t=22341
Since Fire Hydrant is based on puppy 3.0 that means if you have a problem with PPPoE use the above fix and enjoy :) new release 3.01 which has this fix installed already and a small amount of software changes. :)

hi this was the first time i ever tried to do something like this, I spent over 60 hrs in 3.5 days to get this out to everyone, It was totally stable, never crashed at all durring the building and testing stages, So i think its a keeper. :) if you have any ideas of what should go, stay or add please let me know, i'm trying to keep it under 200MB. so it doesn't get out of hand. Thanks for everything. :)

Installed: Firefox, flash, java, plus thunderbird, sunbird and lightning so you can get your mail and your calendar in one app. plus icewm, and 19 themes, a few new games in the firefox tool menu, xmms with a sony skin, Limewire, shutterbug, Gimpshop, Yahoo messenger, aMSN messenger,etc a lot was added and no scripts removed.

you can find it here www.ttuuxxx.com

also i noticed that pci-express nvida cards now work with tv-out and no additional drivers were needed, first time ever has puppy s-video pci-e worked for me anyways, my older agp always did :) thats just excellent. :)

hope you enjoy it :)

Next week Audacious 1.4.0 beta will be released if someone makes a pet or pup package for it post it in here and I’ll try to install it for future releases. When i tried to install the latest one from the repository it had a conflict with the pet manager, what would happen is that both sides of the manager would be erased. Completely white, like nothing to install or uninstall, Very strange.
Attachments
imagepx8.gif
(189.2 KiB) Downloaded 4006 times
firehydrantbanner.png
(172.15 KiB) Downloaded 5023 times
Last edited by ttuuxxx on Sun 17 May 2009, 03:23, edited 5 times in total.

darrelljon

#2 Post by darrelljon »

Looks kewl. :twisted:

Boo2themoon

#3 Post by Boo2themoon »

Looks great and works really well. I even managed to play Runescape, not sure if I've managed that with Puppy before? 8)
Thanks for your contribution. I'm looking forward to the Fat Free version too

tazoc

md5sum for firehydrant3.00.iso

#4 Post by tazoc »

ttuuxxx,
I'm d/ling it now. Can you post the md5sum please?
Thank you,
TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

ttuuxxx

md5

#5 Post by ttuuxxx »

hi ya sure here's the md5 54945784CFC830CAD3880A2D99A246D8
enjoy

tazoc

#6 Post by tazoc »

Hi,
That was quick! How'd you get the upper case? :) It works in lower.

Code: Select all

54945784cfc830cad3880a2d99a246d8  firehydrant3.00.iso
Thanks again,
TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

eccentric

Firehydrant

#7 Post by eccentric »

Just a thank you for firehydrant 3.00 all i had to do was add Leon,s PPPoE.38.pet
so far it is running OK.
Michael

ttuuxxx

Re: Firehydrant

#8 Post by ttuuxxx »

eccentric wrote:Just a thank you for firehydrant 3.00 all i had to do was add Leon,s PPPoE.38.pet
so far it is running OK.
Michael
thats excellent to hear , actually i would like more feedback about fixes, i have just read up about the PPoE.pet package, just because you brought it to my attention and I'll remaster Fire Hydrant tonight and upload it with the fix already installed. and also you stated "so far it is running OK." well the last time i used it, it was "running excellent.", lol thanks for the hints and if anyone else finds a fault in 3.0 please tell me and maybe include the fix link.

for everyone else who might have a problem with PPoE here's the link to the fix, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 64&t=22341

ttuuxxx

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

8) A well chosen range of apps.

Did you use Dougals remaster, the standard remaster or Unleashed to create this?

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

ttuuxxx

#10 Post by ttuuxxx »

Lobster wrote:8) A well chosen range of apps.

Did you use Dougals remaster, the standard remaster or Unleashed to create this?

:)
Well i Dougals remaster to remaster the final product. It worked excellent no problems at all, I first made the cd and tested it, then i ran it again and made an iso image, and then burned and tested the iso image and it worked excellent. so i was happy with it.

tonight I'll be remastering it with the PPPoE fix. and a few small application changes once i work everything out, then the long upload. but its worth it. :)

ttuuxxx

8-bit

#11 Post by 8-bit »

I know you wanted to get your Distro out, so you may have overlooked these.
First: When I fired up Rxvt to check the available memory, the first line stated it could not find /usr/bin/defaultwordprocessor no such file or directory. I remedied this by making a script to point to abiword.
The second was that you did not close the file in Gleany when you last used it before you made the iso so the last file you had worked on came up. Other than that, everything seemed to work ok.

ttuuxxx

#12 Post by ttuuxxx »

8-bit wrote:I know you wanted to get your Distro out, so you may have overlooked these.
First: When I fired up Rxvt to check the available memory, the first line stated it could not find /usr/bin/defaultwordprocessor no such file or directory. I remedied this by making a script to point to abiword.
The second was that you did not close the file in Gleany when you last used it before you made the iso so the last file you had worked on came up. Other than that, everything seemed to work ok.
that excellent input 8-bit thanks for that since i'll be remastering it again tonight and i'll fix it, because of the PPPoE problem, i'm glad i waited a bit, I was doing around 18hrs a day trying to finish this and well in the end i was really tired and my wife was really fed-up :)

Other than that how did you like it?

thanks once again ttuuxxx

Raman

Excellent FireHydrant 3.0; Now for a TORRENT download!

#13 Post by Raman »

Dear Mr. TTUUXXX, sir,

Thank you for your latest release: Fire Hydrant 3.0. So far everything works fine. Salute!

You solved the JAVA problem that many of us struggle with, and FLASH is important to many.

Now, having said that and on the other hand, let me speak for those of us who must rely on nasty, unreliable, and ultimately unsanitary ppp dialup connections to download 200MB, more or less. To wit: Would it be possible to create a torrent download so that those of us (aforementioned, above) can reliably download 200 excellent MB's without having to retry the download process two or three or even more times?

A torrent download would be most helpful.

Thank you again for your excellent release.

Hail Fire Hydrant!

Hail Puppy!

Raman

Boo2themoon

#14 Post by Boo2themoon »

Hi ttuuxxx,
Tested FH on 4 machines.
Desktops.
Sony Vaio P4 512ram 64 mb nvidia geforce T.
Home Built P3 380ram 16mb voodoo 3d.
Laptops.
Acer 292 P4 Centrino 1000mb ram 64mb vram ati.
Compaq Evo n610c P4 512 ram 32mb vram ati.
Desktops work fine but the Laptops freeze at shutdown (black screen) with no way to save.
Tried Barrys pup3 and it shuts down fine on all machines.
Hope this is of use.

ttuuxxx

Re: Excellent FireHydrant 3.0; Now for a TORRENT download!

#15 Post by ttuuxxx »

Raman wrote:Dear Mr. TTUUXXX, sir,

Thank you for your latest release: Fire Hydrant 3.0. So far everything works fine. Salute!

You solved the JAVA problem that many of us struggle with, and FLASH is important to many.

Now, having said that and on the other hand, let me speak for those of us who must rely on nasty, unreliable, and ultimately unsanitary ppp dialup connections to download 200MB, more or less. To wit: Would it be possible to create a torrent download so that those of us (aforementioned, above) can reliably download 200 excellent MB's without having to retry the download process two or three or even more times?

A torrent download would be most helpful.

Thank you again for your excellent release.

Hail Fire Hydrant!

Hail Puppy!

Raman
yes i can upload it to a torrent, if people are going to share it, via torrent,
when i used to use dial-up, i used a download manager, that was the best because you could reconnect with it as many times as you wanted, since dial-up used to drop out every 4hr, some downloads would take 2-3 days back then. You can get free download managers for any operating system, I still use one on xp, called "free download manager" also firefox has a plugin called wget, http://unix-tutorial.blogspot.com/2007/ ... ndows.html

Xp users on dialup - http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/
wget https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/220
wget puppy "pet" file http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/puppyli ... 0.5.tar.gz

"The free download manager wget lets you download all the files on a page or directory with a single command. It also allows you to resume downloads after getting disconnected letting you start where you left off instead of starting the download at 0% again.

There's also flashgot, flashget, free download manager, download reaper, leechget, download accelerator pro, downloadthemall extension in firefox and many others. wget is just multi OS and very very simple and fast but useless if you can't live without a UI."

thanks for everything and i'll make a torrent today, since i'm uploading a newer version with the PPoE fix included, :)

ttuuxxx

#16 Post by ttuuxxx »

Boo2themoon wrote:Hi ttuuxxx,
Tested FH on 4 machines.
Desktops.
Sony Vaio P4 512ram 64 mb nvidia geforce T.
Home Built P3 380ram 16mb voodoo 3d.
Laptops.
Acer 292 P4 Centrino 1000mb ram 64mb vram ati.
Compaq Evo n610c P4 512 ram 32mb vram ati.
Desktops work fine but the Laptops freeze at shutdown (black screen) with no way to save.
Hope this is of use.
ok i have an idea, since i didn't remove anything that would cause that problem it could be that its default windows manager is IceWm could you please boot up your lappy and change manager back to the original JWM and try to shut down, and if thats what it is.then i have a some place to start. Thanks for your time. Also if anyone has a laptop could you also try to see if you encounter the same shut-down problem? thanks :) ttuuxxx

muggins

#17 Post by muggins »

i thought i'd add to ttuuxxx's comments about available downloaders for puppy.

on the commandline, for resuming broken downloads, you have available wget, curl, & aria2c. wget already is in puppy, and for curl, & aria2c, just do a forum search. aria2c also has the ability to download torrents & metalinks.

for gui downloading, puppy already comes with xwget & axel. alternatives, available through forum search, are aria, d4x & urlgfe.

alternatively, as mentioned by ttuuxxx, if you're using a mozilla based browser, you have flashgot, & downthemall, avialable as extensions. with flashgot, you can get it to use aria, d4x or curl as default downloader. (i've never had any success at using it with wget).

for windows users that want a small, easy to use, resumable downloader, there's dirk paehl's brilliant little wget gui frontend available here:

http://www.paehl.com/open_source/?GNU_Wget

i've always got a copy of this on a usbkey for use in net cafes.

TheNose100

Laptops

#18 Post by TheNose100 »

ttuuxxx wrote:
Boo2themoon wrote:Hi ttuuxxx,
Tested FH on 4 machines.

Hope this is of use.
Thanks for your time. Also if anyone has a laptop could you also try to see if you encounter the same shut-down problem? thanks :) ttuuxxx
I have two laptops. Both Toshiba Satellite's. Once I DL both yours and the stock 3.0 ver, I'll let you know. - For what it's worth, the older laptop that I have works flawlessly with 2.17 pup. the new machine, the sound won't work. and I haven't tried to figured it out, as the sound didn't work with Ubuntu "out of the box" either. - Kinda sucks, as it's the one that has linux on it. Sorta I wish I had waited and did a little research first. Oh well. :roll:

ecomoney

Congratulations

#19 Post by ecomoney »

Congratualations on your distro, it seems it is the first puppy three series derivative and obviously it works well. it sound as if you put a lot of hard work into it. I will download and give it a try. Theres a lot to be said for "fatter" puppies with everything just working.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

ttuuxxx

Re: Congratulations

#20 Post by ttuuxxx »

ecomoney wrote:Congratualations on your distro, it seems it is the first puppy three series derivative and obviously it works well. it sound as if you put a lot of hard work into it. I will download and give it a try. Theres a lot to be said for "fatter" puppies with everything just working.
Thanks ecomoney that was nice of you, Puppy 3.0 had a PPoE problem, so this one did also, plus it hard a couple of default broken link, I've now repaired that, and installed the PPoE fix. Right now I'm uploading revamped version, it will be 3.01. And will be ready for download in 3hr 20Min, so if you could hold off just a bit, you'll get a better version, plus i added a couple of icons and galculator also with a shortcut, I also made gaim automatically log in, because when i was in the #puppylinux the other day I ran into a person who didn't speak English fluently and would of downloaded another version of 3.0 just because it auto logged in to pidgin. So i guess thats important to some.