4.0 problem using network file sharing

Booting, installing, newbie
cartz

4.0 problem using network file sharing

#1 Post by cartz »

Using the built in file sharing in puppy 4.0 I can log on from machine b to machine a using root.

However when I set up another user on machine a with the following command:

adduser shared -h /mnt/home/'General Files'/Shared

I found that when I try to click on the shortcut created on machine b (after scanning and inputing the user and password) it says 'can not connect to server'.

I thought maybe there was a problem with the space (or capitals) in 'General Files' so I set up another user as follows:

adduser share -h /mnt/home/share

Yet I experience the same problem.

I can't see how my example (the second one at least) differs from the example given in the Puppy-File-Sharing.txt file that is contained in the File Sharing directory in Puppy 4. That uses the following example:

adduser doug -h /mnt/home/doug

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

cartz.

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

If you want specific user access, directory - file ownership and permissions are factors you haven't mentioned doing anything with.

cartz

#3 Post by cartz »

Thanks for your reply Bruce B.

I'm a bit confused though. If I right mouse click on the directory in Rox and choose Properties it shows that Owner, Group and World all have Read, Write and Exec permissions.

The owner of the directory is root. But I would have thought that World meant all users. In which case, doesn't that mean that the user I created with the above command has got full permissions on that directory?

I'm totally new to Linux and the terminal window. Is there some command I should be typing in addition to the adduser one? I do have a Linux book but the commands are different to what Puppy uses. (eg. it has useradd rather than adduser and the options are different).

Thanks,

cartz.

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

Cartz,

I might have you barking up the wrong tree. I've been here once before, in Puppy with a different ftp-server.

Root with a good password would have been easy. I was concerned because I was sharing ftp on the Internet. (a hostile network)

I could be wrong, but I don't think giving my trusted user ownership permissions on subdirtories did the trick. The parent directories matter.

Suppose our directory structure is like this:

/share/cartz

If I own share and you own cartz, maybe you can't access cartz because you have to get through the '/share' ownership problems.

I think I solved the problem by running chown on the cli, including all the directories he'd have to access. Using Puppy's root account which is default.

The new ownership example was:

chown cartz:cartz

The permissions were probably like this:

chmod 660 or chmod 600

Being no reason for anyone to 'execute' any file. Just read and write.

Using chown and chmod with the -r switch sets all files and directories below your position on the cli, be careful where you are when you run it. There is no 'undo'.

---------------

On the cli, type chown --help and chmod --help, if you want more help use google 'man chown' and 'man chmod'

And I could be barking up the wrong tree, read Barry's instructions again, maybe he left something out presuming knowledge on your part, maybe you missed something. Or maybe?

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

Here's one that has never been mentioned. It's a file in ~ of the machine accessing the ftp server using Midnight Commander, to be used when not logging in as anonymous

File name:

~/.netrc

File contents example:

--- BOF

machine 192.168.1.101 login root

--- EOF

This way when mc accesses 192.168.1.101 it knows not to try an anonymous login, rather it logins using the name in .netrc

Bruce B

#6 Post by Bruce B »

More Info

I have no idea what compile options Puppy's pure-ftpd uses.

There are a myriad of options, if a person were serious about using pure-ftpd, as I am, I think it worth a visit to pure-ftpd's site, download and compile it with the options that best meet your needs, especially if you plan on using it on a hostile network.

cartz

#7 Post by cartz »

Hey Bruce B,

Thanks very much for all that info. I'll spend some time digesting it and experimenting and will let you know how I go.

Thanks again,

cartz.