How to configure GRUB to boot Toutou Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
Aitch

#16 Post by Aitch »

Hi Pup

Nothing strange about that, the poor filesystem has no knowledge of where anything is!
It is just going where it is told
The find instruction is basically saying, 'go everywhere' for this 'xxx' because I, the user, don't know where it is
So why not look in the floppy, or the waste bin or the whatever file....
Is 'xxx' there? No, then go to the next place
The fact that you know you want it to find something on a particular place called a hard drive, and on that hard drive in a partition, [like a room in a house], is no different to the waste bin to the searching probe
It just looks for a match

Now what it should be finding is what you should have told it, & where you should have put it
But I don't think you did
I don't think you prepared your h/d for it, so I don't think it is there
I don't think the house has any usable rooms
Hda9 can't be mounted as a primary ext2 partition. Only as a logical partition (it is the only option proposed by G parted). In fact the partition is inserted into an extended partition and deleting it doesn't seem sufficient to recreate a primary partition.
Logical partitions don't boot - primary ones boot, and you should have probably at least 3 primary partitions
The fact you have an hda9 already, suggests hda1-8, but you don't have hda1-8, you probably only have hda1, hda5or6, 8 &9
and if hda5/6 is your extended partition, it is a container for the logical partitions, 8 & 9
so you see only 3, maybe are partitions which puppy can use
If hda1 is a windoze file, then only 2;
& hda9 is screwed, so is there an 8, at all?

Is this close to what's going on?

I think you need to try and copy off your windoze files that you need, my documents etc, and completely re-format your h/d from scratch, as it may be easier than hoping it will be ok, while you change it's size, to allow building the rest of the fat structure/partitions
You will need some time & patience & if you want to keep windoze, an install/rescue CD

How does that sound?

search for partitioning/formatting & installing to hard drive

http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

Aitch