puppy 4.00 xorg in virtualbox 1.5.6

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
wildpossum

puppy 4.00 xorg in virtualbox 1.5.6

#1 Post by wildpossum »

Has anybody else had problems getting xorg working in puppy 4.00 on virtualbox 1.5.6? I found that it printed probing video hardware and then froze with a black screen. Both the .21 and the .25 kernel had the same problem. xvesa works.

xorg used to work in puppy 3.01 in virtualbox.

Since puppy 4.00 xorg works fine on real hardware, I rather suspect the problem is with virtualbox not coping with the version of xorg in puppy 4.00.

Pity cause it would be nice to use xorg instead of xvesa, and 4.00 instead of 3.01 if xorg is desired.

0cean

#2 Post by 0cean »

I am also trying to run Puppy Linux 4.0 out of VirtualBox (which is installed on WinXP) and for me the screen also freezes. But I am clicking around and going out of the VM window and back in, hit ESC and then suddenly there appears a warning that my VM is configured to 32bit video output but the Puppy Linux uses 16 bit. From that point on I can work with it. Oh, I am talking about Xorg of course.

What I am not able to do right now is change my screen resolution. It seems I am stuck in 640x480 and don't know how to change it to a bigger resolution. Working graphically on this small res is a pain :(

When I try to go to Menu > Setup > Xorg and try to change res it tells me that there are no other video modes for this video card.

Does anyone know how I can change the resolution here?