Puppy Multimedia Centre

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
nandhu

Puppy Multimedia Centre

#1 Post by nandhu »

All,

As puppy is packaged as chubby, skinny etc., why can't there be a true multimedia puppy.

Which could utilise Freevo suite and enable users to record and watch TV, music, photos/image slideshow and editor as well as a webserver that could serve streaming music / video, photos as in albums etc. Working with Bluetooth enabled remote controls or bluetooth enabled mobile phones to use them as a remote. Also allowing the recorded contents to be writeable to a DVD with a click on a button. It would be cool.

It would be nice to have a decent multimedia centre pc that beats windows media centre on all fronts.

And if all this can come out in less than 60MB for apps and storage space can be over FAT/FAT16/NTFS, then we could also have it on a USB and use the host systems (windows) filesystem to store and retreive video/music etc.,

Hope we could have this from puppy...

Thanks for such a great distro.

I'll love my puppy.

Cheers,

Nandhu.
Thanks,
Nanda.

[Running Puppy of my 128MB SwissMemory USB Key with AllInOnePuppy pakage.]

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

The beauty of Puppy is that you can easily create such pupplet yourself.

There are some examples, like Graphpuppy for graphic artists, and pizzapup for...mmm... pizza loving guys? Some other people are remastering to target the education field.

It's not that difficult to remaster and there is enough people here in the forum to guide you through the process.

Actually you don't need to program or even be technically inclined.

I read your post about Freevo. You may be able to install from rpm or tgz, if not, you can always try to compile it. I didn't have time now to check if it has many dependencies. That's usually the main issue when installing those kinds of applications.

Good luck.

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

and pizzapup for...mmm... pizza loving guys?
The original was partially for those who didn't like kernal 2.6, but wanted a bootsplash and several other newer features (I can't rember which anymore).
Pizzapup in general is aimed towards being somewhat smoother and customized towards my tastes (the pizza factor), using the Flamin' Ice combo. It is also an oportunity for me to test stuff (hackyremaster, for example).

Oh, and don't forget JohnM's 50meg Opera puplets! I used the 1.0.1 version, and it was very nice. Opera, perl, good graphics, a bootsplash, and all for 50megs.

As for making your own, there are several methods, only one of which I have used. It was semi-easy to me, but I'm an oddball. The method I chose also happens to be the most masochistic way of doing it. Basically, I rewrote the remaster script to give me total control in a more logical manner. I will release a slightly more user friendly version (in the setup, not use) in a week or two, but you'd probably be best of with one of the already available methods. Mine is best suited for those who want total control because they either don't trust the normal scripts or just need to edit everything. :roll:
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

nandhu

#4 Post by nandhu »

Hi All,

Thanks guys for your encouragement. I'm willing to give it a try. Please provide me with pointers to some basic remastering tutorials, compiling stuff from the source and rpm or .deb files.

Many thanks for your time.

Nanda.
Thanks,
Nanda.

[Running Puppy of my 128MB SwissMemory USB Key with AllInOnePuppy pakage.]