Puppy 4 DINGO

Please post any bugs you have found
paulh177

#91 Post by paulh177 »

full hard disk install on dell gx240

using 2.6.21.7 kernel selecting poweroff, the machine powers off fully

using 2.6.25 kernel selecting poweroff, the system halts and the disk(s) seems to powerdown but the whole machine keeps running

djringjr

#92 Post by djringjr »

Sometimes the pin-board is missing, sometimes the ethernet card isn't detected, often when I click on an icon, the pin-board disappears.

I have 373 MB free on a CD-Live boot. The earlier 4.00 alpha and beta 1 worked well, but not beta2.

When I finally boot and everything "catches" and loads, it seems ok, but I have to boot several times - or be very lucky.

Did the kernel change between the early 4.00alphas? 3.01 works find and all earlier versions.

This 4.00 looks wonderful. But it is frustrating to have to boot into it several times!

The disk icons aren't showing as they were with beta1 but I think this is user selectable.

I don't want to make it work as 4.00 is up and running (so far) and I don't want it to crash.

In the earlier attempts to boot, I got "segmentation fault" on the command line after X crashed.

I hope this is helpful to someone.

Best to all,

David

djringjr

#93 Post by djringjr »

Further to my posting above.

When I run things like gftp from the command line, the program crashes and says "segmentation fault".

I checked the md5sum of the iso and used "Burn ISO 2 CD" and verified the burn as "good".

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks

David

djringjr

#94 Post by djringjr »

Oh, I am running an AMD Athlon 1400 with 1 GB memory. Running 4.00 from a CD in RAM. The computer is about 9 years old now - all previous Puppy versions up until 4.00 alphas worked ok, beta 1 was "so so" and beta 2 and "SC" had similar problems.

Best

David

Whelp

Password shown in plain text ?

#95 Post by Whelp »

Hi all,

using a frugal install of 4.00 final I noticed that the password that I enter when mounting a personal save file (with heavy encryption created with Puppy 3.01 or 3.00) is being shown as plain text, while it was not shown at all with 3.01.
I confirmed this behavior by choosing "none" when booting 4.00, creating a small h.e. save file when shutting down, then choosing this save file when rebooting - password was again shown in plain text.
I have not yet tried with light or no encryption.
Am I doing something wrong, is this a bug or a feature ? :?
(Or have I missed an already existing posting about this ? A search did not turn up anything for me ...)

In general, though, the new release looks good to me and I look forward to giving it a more detailed try. :D

urban soul
Location: "Killing a nerd is not as much fun as ist sounds" B.Simpson

#96 Post by urban soul »

I just found out that some of my private wireless profiles made it into the default config file for Puppy 4.00! Wow! :D

The problem is not that if you happen to be at Berlin, Alexanderplatz every Puppy-Linux-User can surf the internet (profile: "alex") . No - - - the problem is, that one of these profiles has a wrong line count. This will prevent the network wizard from working correctly. So please replace your file /etc/WAG/profile-conf with the version provided as a attachment. :idea:

Happy surfing!
Urban
Attachments
profile-conf-400-quickfix.gz
(588 Bytes) Downloaded 693 times

GeoW

acpi=force will give you a full shutdown

#97 Post by GeoW »

paulh177,

I get exactly the behavior you describe - always - on 3.01 and all the
Dingos. A full shutdown except for the final power off.
paulh177 wrote:full hard disk install on dell gx240

using 2.6.21.7 kernel selecting poweroff, the machine powers off fully

using 2.6.25 kernel selecting poweroff, the system halts and the disk(s) seems to powerdown but the whole machine keeps running
If I use acpi=force boot parameter, I get a full shutdown.

However, for me, on all the older pups acpi=force causes strange
side effects. It causes intermittent boot lockups at a variety of points
in the boot process; and sometimes I get a strangely twisted mouse
where I expect the mouse to go up the screen and it goes to the
right instead. The twisted mouse can survive several bootups - even
cold off/on cycles.

Both sage and Dougal assure me that these are hardware problems,
but the fact remains that I never see them unless I use acpi=force.

So, I press the power button after I see the Power Down message.

Try acpi=force - it will most likely give you a full shutdown and may
not have any side effects for you.

I haven't yet tested this extensively on the .25 kernel - maybe my
problems will go away.

Good Luck,

GeoW

paulh177

#98 Post by paulh177 »

GeoW wrote:paulh177,
I get exactly the behavior you describe - always - on 3.01 and all the
Dingos. A full shutdown except for the final power off.
Interesting. I've never had this behaviour before on this particular piece of kit and I've run a few different Puppies (2.x, 3.x & now 4.x) on it. It is quite specific to Dingo and the newest kernel

(AAMOI I do get the same thing on however an old laptop running 2.15 -- I just assumed it was a laptop vagary. Never experimented with acpi etc on that machine however)

paul

djringjr

#99 Post by djringjr »

The new ALSA wizard doesn't detect my PCI SoundBlaster Live! card while previous versions did. Of course everything is so intermittant with my computer running Puppy 4.00 that this might be just peculiar to me.

Be well,

David

JustGreg

#100 Post by JustGreg »

I followed Tempestuous advice and look at the readme file for RT73usb driver. The information is available from http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com, one needs to search the site for "rt73usb". Only information on iwconfig is given to configure the device. Unfortunately, "iwconfig" can only be used to setup WEP for security. I checked Dingo Kernel 2.6.25 if the rt73usb module supported "iwpriv" commands, which would allow one to setup a WPA connection. However, there is no iwpriv functions supported. The use of WPA with this driver is a future development.

I also checked the ralink website. There is a driver for the rt73 hardware, which supports kernel versions 2.4 and 2.6. The driver was released in Januray 2008 so it should support the latest 2.6 kernel. It does need the Wireless Extensions V18. It supports iwpriv commands and the use of wpa_supplicant. I have attached the January 2008 ralink driver for anyone's use. For the newbies, package needs to compiled before one can use it. Hopefully, this will help with Dingo Kernel 2.6.25 development.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

PaulBx1

#101 Post by PaulBx1 »

using a frugal install of 4.00 final I noticed that the password that I enter when mounting a personal save file (with heavy encryption created with Puppy 3.01 or 3.00) is being shown as plain text, while it was not shown at all with 3.01.
The same behavior that I noted in one of the Dingo betas; apparently it never got fixed.

tempestuous

#102 Post by tempestuous »

JustGreg,
I just checked the rt2x00 site for information regarding WPA with rt73usb driver.
It appears you're right about iwpriv - not supported. That probably means Rutilt won't work with rt73usb.
But I found this thread
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/phpBB/vi ... c7f01184e1
where the main developer, Ivo van Doorn, advises to use wpa_supplicant ... so it should work.

I suggest you try manual wpa_supplicant commands, using the "wext" D parameter.

paulh177

#103 Post by paulh177 »

GeoW wrote:If I use acpi=force boot parameter, I get a full shutdown.
Tried this myself and that works on the GX240 with the 2.6.25 kernel.
As I say, not needed on 2.6.21.7

Wosh

First Impressions of Puppy Linux 4.00

#104 Post by Wosh »

To all Puppy Developers

Congratulations first for the new Puppy 4.00 which has several improvements compared to 3.01 that I used before. It runs quite smoothly in a frugal installation on my PC.

Bugs
I found the following bugs:

1. Epdfview crashes with a "Segmentation fault" if the UP/DOWN/PAGEUP/PAGEDOWN-key is pressed within the loaded document.

2. SeaMonkey: The item Language has disappeared in Edit/Preferences/Appearance Menu. Though even if it is still possible to download a language package for Seamonkey it is not possible to localize to your preferred language.

3. Mtpaint has only been compiled in the English version by using "configure" instead of "configure intl". So it can not be used in localized Puppy Distribution. The resulting localized binary is only slightly bigger than the English one (462216 to 451784). So Mtpaint should be localized by default.

4. xcalc still behaves erroneous if the chosen locale requires a comma as decimal separator.
Patch in: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 32f#168101

5. xfdiff-cut from ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... packages-4 installs without adding a .files-file in /root/.packages. So it is not seen by the packet manager and can not be uninstalled any more.

6. PETget package manager /Official Puppy 3 mc-4.6.1 is offered but the dependent package gpm-1.20.1-1 is missing within the list. It must be downloaded directly from ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... 20.1-1.pet

Wishes
1. I am quite unhappy with Sylpheed as mail program?
Will there be a pet-package for Seamonkey-Mail?
Am I able to recompile Seamonkey including Mail/News without messing up Puppy Linux?

Cheers

PS For those interested I have added the localized version of Mtpaint 3.20
Wosh

mouldy

Re: USB mouse fix

#105 Post by mouldy »

Kal wrote:Using the newer kernel 2.6.25 required a "modprobe ohci-hcd" to be placed in /etc/rc.d/rc.local for USB mouse to work.

Good Luck, Kal
Yep, needed for usb modems, serial converter cables, and such too. Otherwise no problems so far with it.

I do miss GkDial and dont see it anywhere as an add on. Copying it and all its desired libraries from 3.01 got me a segmentation fault for my troubles when I tried to run it.

ttuuxxx

Re: First Impressions of Puppy Linux 4.00

#106 Post by ttuuxxx »

Wosh wrote:To all Puppy Developers

Wishes
1. I am quite unhappy with Sylpheed as mail program?
Will there be a pet-package for Seamonkey-Mail?
Am I able to recompile Seamonkey including Mail/News without messing up Puppy Linux?

Cheers
Hi I found a seamonkey package for puppy 4 its bigger than the cutdown no mail version, so it looks like the one your searching for.
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... -1.1.5.pet
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#107 Post by BarryK »

Yes, I welcome feedback about whether Sylpheed is "up to it". I may compile the full SeaMonkey suite for the next release of Puppy, if that's what users want.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

rcrsn51

#108 Post by rcrsn51 »

When Dingo 3.96 came out, I briefly tried Sylpheed. But I could not get the security settings (SSL, TLS, etc) to work with my ISP. So I went back to Thunderbird, which always runs perfectly.

Henry

#109 Post by Henry »

BarryK wrote:Yes, I welcome feedback about whether Sylpheed is "up to it". I may compile the full SeaMonkey suite for the next release of Puppy, if that's what users want.
Yes, Barry, that sounds good. May as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb! If you're deternined to use the Seamonkey suite, put the whole thing in, including the ability to use the gnupg extension.

Sylpheed is compact, but cannot handle in-line gpg. It also treats attachments weirdly. I've tried it a few times but always drop it.

My heartiest congratulations for 4.00. The advances are most impressive.

Henry

alienjeff

#110 Post by alienjeff »

First an admission/confession: I really wanted to hate Dingo. However, the default mousepad tap off "feature" wasn't enough to keep the fire of hatred going ...

I've done a Universal Installer method frugal install of Dingo V4.00 with the standard kernel and am very favorably impressed with this version. The test bed it my old Gateway Solo 5150 laptop -- 233 MHz MMX PII with 288M of RAM.

Regarding Gxine, I loaded up a 260M mpg video from both USB stick and CD, and not only did it play flawlessly, but also in full screen (CTL-F) mode.

Only real issues thus far in early testing are:

1) mousepad tap off by default (yeah, I'm not willing to let that one go...);
2) 3com 3CRWE62092A wifi card won't play;
3) memory footprint is rather large and system starts using swap very quickly - even with 288M of RAM;
4) can't seem to get sound to work; and
5) i810 video problems with the desktop box.

Congrats, Barry. The six-months of development and testing have made for a much more impressive and sturdy OS distro. I appreciate your efforts.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]