Puppy 4 DINGO

Please post any bugs you have found
rerwin

agrmodem support incomplete - Deleted

#16 Post by rerwin »

EDIT 5/3: Drivers agrserial and agrmodem are in /lib/modules/2.6.25/extra, but not in 4.00-k2.6.21.7.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Sat 03 May 2008, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

mbe

Yenta_socket does not load

#17 Post by mbe »

Boot from frugal install was fine but I still I needed to modprobe yenta_socket to get the USB2 and wireless interfaces on PCMCIA cards to appear. WPA/TKIP configured perfectly using the wireless wizard with ndiswrapper. I added modprobe yenta_socket to /etc/rc.d/rc.local as a workaround. - Shutdown offered a save file and the interface appeared nicely on a reboot - would it be possible to add the modprobe yent_socket line to one of the startup scripts in initrd for 4.0 final ?

rerwin

Possible fix for the missing yenta-socket problem

#18 Post by rerwin »

mbe,
I think the solution is to add an override entry for your cardbus controller into /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG. Insert the following line after line 21, just before the line consisting of a single tick-mark:

Code: Select all

yenta-socket 0x00001217 0x00006933 #O2 Micro, Inc. CardBus/SmartCardBus Controller v4.00
Please report whether this works, so we can advocate its inclusion in the final. Thanks.
Richard

mbe

Good workaround

#19 Post by mbe »

Richard

Excellent result - I removed my extra line from /etc/rc.d/rc.local and added your line into /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG then rebooted - the cards came up straight away and the wizard auto-connected via nidiswapper with WPA/TKIP since it was already configured from before.

This is clearly a better fix for me but does it need to be so hardware specific ?

Thanks a lot

Martin

rerwin

Service Pack candidate

#20 Post by rerwin »

Martin,
Thanks for trying out the fix. Yes, it does need to be specific to the piece of hardware.

I checked further for the possibility that "0xffffffff" as a device ID might mean "any". I found only a handful of examples in the modules.pcimap file. For O2 Micro, all devices are CardBus controllers; but they might not all use the same driver (yenta-socket). The other examples had a mix of device types for the vendor, so they could not possibly all use the same driver.

I conclude that the f's simply mean a lack of information. So until the pcimap gets generated with individual device IDs for O2 Micro, we need to use the line I provided.

Barry, please consider the above MODULESCONFIG line as a submission for inclusion into Puppy at the next opportunity. Thanks, Martin, for your persistence and assistance.
Richard

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#21 Post by Lobster »

2.6.25 kernel (md5sum check out OK) I got as far as the keyboard locking on the select country - other time it got as far as the desktop and the mouse was frozen.
Not working for me using an Athlon 2000 with 512MB ram

26.1.7 is working OK
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

GeorgR

25 Kernel stopped at country selection

#22 Post by GeorgR »

On MB with chipset AMD 690G and ATI SB600 I got see the same result like Lobster with 25 kernel: no Keyboard reaction at country selection.
But it is still a progress in comparison to the other puppy version, because they only boot with acpi=noirq booting parameter.

On older MB with Intel 865PERLK I had more luck with 25 Kernel - otherwise I would not be able to write this message :D
Last edited by GeorgR on Sat 03 May 2008, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#23 Post by Sage »

Works for me with A2200, A3000 & P IV-2.2

Kal

USB mouse fix

#24 Post by Kal »

Using the newer kernel 2.6.25 required a "modprobe ohci-hcd" to be placed in /etc/rc.d/rc.local for USB mouse to work.

Good Luck, Kal

geneven

BCM43xx, Personal Storage file problems

#25 Post by geneven »

I had two problems with the (625?) kernel.

One, the correct module for my BCM43xx wireless didn't load and didn't appear to be available. So my usual tricks for getting on the internet didn't work. This does NOT happen with the other Puppy posted today. (621?)

Two, there is something strange about the combo method for installing on my 2 gig USB stick. This happens with BOTH Puppies posted today.

When I first boot into one of the new Puppies, I have about 500 megs of free space, which is usual. But after I reboot and select the default location for creating a personal storage file, I have about 30 megs. I started with 2 gigs, so it' seems that the wrong partition is being selected for the personal storage file?

Incidentally, another thing is that I don't get any appropriate error messages. When I go to create, say, a 512 meg storage file after being told that I have about 30 megs free, the system lets me ask for 512 megs that don't exist. Then, when I reboot, I don't get an error message even though the 512 meg file can't be created. Seems to me that I should.

capoverde

#26 Post by capoverde »

Running Puppy 4 Dingo k2.6.21.7:

surprise, a plugged SD card isn't detected, no matter what way (HotPup, PMount or MUT); no use restarting X or inserting the card before power-up. :evil:

?!? - Previous Puppies, including Dingo Alphas &Betas, had no problems at that -- MD5sum checked OK. Will try on other machines, with an external card reader.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#27 Post by BarryK »

HairyWill wrote:Clicking on various text files in rox fails launches error message about vi: NOT FIXED
Using vi from the console opens the file successfully in e3 in the correct mode. Clicking on the file opens an empty terminal window with a title vi that does seem to respond to any of the weird key combinations I can think of. Would it not be sensible to replace this with a shell script /bin/vi

#!/bin/sh
e3vi "$@"
or am I missing something?
Will,
I'm working through your suggestions. I don't understand something about your problem with vi. What sort of file causes Rox to run vi? If I click on a text file, Geany starts, but you have stated that "clicking on various text files" causes an error about vi. I don't understand.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#28 Post by BarryK »

HairyWill wrote:
comments:
Seeing that HotPup is disabled by default it might be sensible to give the menu entry a (marginally) less cryptic name such as "HotPup disk automounter"

It would be nice to include buttons for Autoconnect and Pwireless in the dialog launched from the Connect icon on the desktop. Because it is at the top of the menu I suspect that newbies will try Autoconnect before Pwireless. This would be a sensible choice in an area populated by open networks. Around me most networks use encryption and some are open but with MAC filtering. In this environment the best choice to make your first connection is probably Pwireless.

The volume trayapp version used doesn't, in my experience, use any less resources when idle than the 0.8 version which is more functional and looks better. If you sit there wacking the slider up and down then the included version does use less cpu (I don't use my volume control like that). The minimal-0.9 version in the package manager gives a 404 when attempting to download. This version is functionally different from the others and requires a jwm traybutton to launch it. Unless the installer inserts one of these into the tray I think this version should not be put in the repository as it will probably just confuse people.
I put a fair bit of effort into these. I don't mind which version is in the final release, but being objective I don't think Barry has made the best choice.

I don't think that any of these are show stoppers.
Ok, I've improved the naming for HotPup in the menu.

For now, I've rearranged so that Pwireless is above Autoconnect, but in a future version need to rearrange the categories in the Network submenu into better grouping -- had that on the to-do for awhile, never got around to it.

Yes, I chose that older volume app in great haste. Have gone back to v.0.8.

twointo1

Wireless is eth1 in 2.6.21.7 and wlan0 in 2.6.25

#29 Post by twointo1 »

In my laptop with a broadcom 4306 network card (eth1 in 2.6.21.7 and wlan0 in 2.6.25, I get 15 networks around me with 2.6.21.7 and 5 with 2.6.25. The same thing happens with my desktop that has a Zydas zd1211rw chip.

Why the difference in eth1 and wlan0 along with the wireless network lack of sensitivity?

Thanks

BarryK
Puppy Master

#30 Post by BarryK »

ttuuxxx wrote:But then I installed mplayer via petget and it had a missing "divx" file, doesn't say which version or anything useful. So i figure the mplayer full codec pack should fix that, nope still missing "divx" so I figured why not just try mplayer, so I click the icon and it 2 boxes came up, 1 black and 1 white. Then my pc froze, which it never does and I had to press ctrl+Backspace to exitx and then startx to get back,
Actually, it says a missing "xvid" -- but that's a false alarm. That is an incorrect dependency in the packages.txt file. I've fixed it.

I installed Mplayer PET package (the official one from ibiblio), and I also got two empty boxes when I started it from the menu. I hit CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to kill X, restarted X, then Mplayer worked. Dunno why.

I had heaps of trouble with Mplayer before, behaving really odd, some of which I documented in my blog. That's why I dumped it in favour of Gxine.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Memtest test RAM fatal to X

#31 Post by BarryK »

dogone wrote:Either I'm missing something or Memtestshell is terribly dangerous under X.

Memtest has never worked for me under X and running it from Puppy's menu ALWAYS locks up X, requiring a system hardware reset. If others are experiencing this problem, Memtestshell should be fixed or removed from the menu and implemented outside of X.
That memtest has been there for a long time. I never use it. Maybe it needs to be looked at, perhaps constrained to only run if X isn't. Anyway, I have removed it from the default selection.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Yenta_socket does not load

#32 Post by BarryK »

mbe wrote:Boot from frugal install was fine but I still I needed to modprobe yenta_socket to get the USB2 and wireless interfaces on PCMCIA cards to appear. WPA/TKIP configured perfectly using the wireless wizard with ndiswrapper. I added modprobe yenta_socket to /etc/rc.d/rc.local as a workaround. - Shutdown offered a save file and the interface appeared nicely on a reboot - would it be possible to add the modprobe yent_socket line to one of the startup scripts in initrd for 4.0 final ?
It may be necessary to treat your computer as a special case.

Run this in a terminal:

# grep -E '^i82092|^i82365|^tcic|^yenta_socket' /lib/modules/modules.pcimap.2.6.21.7

...does this give any output?

If yes, then the module should have loaded. If not, then we need to find what PCI vendor:chip IDs are your PCs PCI-to-PCMCIA interface, and associate those with the yenta_socket module.

Ok, go to the menu "Menu -> PupScan" and click on the PCI probe button, see if any of the entries is a Cardbus or PCMCIA interface -- if so, I need to know the vendor:chip IDs.

Or, if the list in PupScan does not identify Cardbus/PCMCIA, can you deduce which one by elimination?

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Possible fix for the missing yenta-socket problem

#33 Post by BarryK »

rerwin wrote:mbe,
I think the solution is to add an override entry for your cardbus controller into /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG. Insert the following line after line 21, just before the line consisting of a single tick-mark:

yenta-socket 0x00001217 0x00006933 #O2 Micro, Inc. CardBus/SmartCardBus Controller v4.00
Please report whether this works, so we can advocate its inclusion in the final. Thanks.
Richard
Ah, you're one step ahead of me. Rerwin and mbe, you must have already been through this exercise somewhere else in the forum.

mbe, put that special case in and let us know if it works -- do this quickly and it will go into the 4.00final.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Good workaround

#34 Post by BarryK »

mbe wrote:Richard

Excellent result - I removed my extra line from /etc/rc.d/rc.local and added your line into /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG then rebooted - the cards came up straight away and the wizard auto-connected via nidiswapper with WPA/TKIP since it was already configured from before.

This is clearly a better fix for me but does it need to be so hardware specific ?

Thanks a lot

Martin
Ahem, I should read ahead before posting!
Ok, I'll put it in.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: BCM43xx, Personal Storage file problems

#35 Post by BarryK »

geneven wrote:I had two problems with the (625?) kernel.

One, the correct module for my BCM43xx wireless didn't load and didn't appear to be available. So my usual tricks for getting on the internet didn't work. This does NOT happen with the other Puppy posted today. (621?)

Two, there is something strange about the combo method for installing on my 2 gig USB stick. This happens with BOTH Puppies posted today.

When I first boot into one of the new Puppies, I have about 500 megs of free space, which is usual. But after I reboot and select the default location for creating a personal storage file, I have about 30 megs. I started with 2 gigs, so it' seems that the wrong partition is being selected for the personal storage file?

Incidentally, another thing is that I don't get any appropriate error messages. When I go to create, say, a 512 meg storage file after being told that I have about 30 megs free, the system lets me ask for 512 megs that don't exist. Then, when I reboot, I don't get an error message even though the 512 meg file can't be created. Seems to me that I should.
With the .25 kernel, the bcm43xx module is replaced by b43 and b43legacy modules.

Ah, yes, comboformat has a bug, I haven't had time to fix it. It saves a session to the second partition, but then dosn't recognize it at bootup. I have put a notice into the Universal Installer not to use ComboFormat for now, until the bug is fixed.