jonyo

#136 Post by jonyo »

joopyhellspawn wrote:It worked in every other Puppy I run
What driver worked before?

Scoticus

Puppy 4 DINGO

#137 Post by Scoticus »

Barry

Can you please advise if SFS files can be saved on a multisession DVD ?

cf13

#138 Post by cf13 »

Full hard drive install,

I get a message when booting,

line 124 /bin/mount read only file system,or something like that, and another error with /etc/fstab, I add a few lines to fstab, the ones I had in puppy 3 with no problem.

I don't know if this is related to the fact that I can't mount iso files, I had this problem with 3.0, but I was having hd badblock errors, but now I get this error with losetup,

losetup: : No such device or address.

Pupget freezes when trying to remove an appl. and I second that the pupget gui is very big with 800x600 resolution, but it's not the only appl.

Are reiserfs filsystem supported by puppy? Cause I wanted to change to a journaling file system, and I couldn't with gparted, just ext3.

Is there anyway to not load freememapplet and xload? I tried with xinitrc, but with no results.

As others have said, jwm look a lot of better.

Thanks a lot for the hard work.

Kal

gparted and reiserfs

#139 Post by Kal »

cf13 :

I think you will find that your reiserfs will work in gparted, once "reiserfsprogs-3.6.19-1.files" is installed from the package manager.

Good Luck, Kal

zygo

boot param to make puppy ignore my sata hdd

#140 Post by zygo »

Barry,

Can you please add the facility to tell the kernel to ignore a drive eg 'puppy sda=none' as implied at http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/BootPrompt-HOWTO-7.html

HairyWill

Re: Puppy 4 DINGO

#141 Post by HairyWill »

Scoticus wrote:Barry

http://puppylinux.com/development/compileapps.htm
BarryK wrote:This is when Puppy is run from a CD or DVD but instead of having a "pup_save" file for personal data, the personal data is saved back to the CD/DVD. This mode does not need a hard drive at all. A PC with 256MB of RAM is required, but if you want to do source code compiling then heaps of RAM is needed -- this has yet to be determined, but I recommend 1GB minimum.

In this case, download the devx_xxx.sfs file to "/' then reboot. What will happen is that it will get saved to the CD/DVD, then at next bootup Puppy will recognise it and load it as a Unionfs layer. That's it, you are ready to go.

Note however, this only works for Puppy version 4.00 or later.
if devx works then I presume other sfs files do
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

Fishy

Gtkam Started and NOW Fails!

#142 Post by Fishy »

Up unil now no problems encountered, but, gtkam has an issue. Starts, finds camera (Canon A520), shows thumbnails but crashes on save. The ridiculous thing is that it saved half the pictures the initial time before becoming petulant. Now it just shuts down when asked to save!

I have removed camera from Gtkam, rescanned camera, rebooted etc, but, no joy. :cry:

Dingo is fast and and very well behaved otherwise. :D

metre9dmt

Experience with Puppy Linux 4.0 Dingo so far

#143 Post by metre9dmt »

First of all, I would like to thank Barry Kauler and the rest of the Puppy Linux Development Team for making the 4th iteration of Puppy Linux with numerous advancement. Congratulations. I tested the two Dingoes (2.6.21.7 and 2.6.25) in both desktop and laptop units for several. Here are my experience for both Dingoes.

In the desktop unit (2.66 Ghz Intel Celeron (Netburst), 1.0 Gb RAM DDR, 180 GB hard drive, asrock motherboard w/ built-in sound, video & Ethernet ports, Nvidia GeForce FX5500 w/ 256 MB Ram, DVD/CD combo drive), both Dingoes booted seamlessly. In the sound department, 2.6.21.7 Dingo the sound was not turned on. When I tried to use the sound setup, I've noticed several error messages regarding unavailability of certain ALSA files.

The 2.6.25 Dingo worked seamlessly with the sound card working properly. But when I tried to setup the sound card, I received similar error messages regarding missing ALSA files.

In the notebook unit (ECS-D25, 1.66 Ghz Intel Core Solo T1300 processor, 1.5 GB RAM, 80 Gb hard drive, DVD RW drive, 14.1" LCD monitor. ATI Radeon 200M Express chipset), 2.6.21.7 Dingo booted okay but has similar problems with that of the desktop . The battery meter icon was not present at the task bar.

With the 2.6.25 Dingo, the sound and battery meter icons appeared at the task bar. No sound was heard. When I tried to setup the sound card, I got similar problems as that of 2.6.21.7 Dingo.

On the software application side, I wished that the latest AbiWord and Gnumeric were initially included in the final cut. Is there a presentation program that can be included with these GNOME apps? Barry should let Inklite go and just include the latest version of Inkscape. The games included is no longer 'fun' as compared before. Can Frozen Bubble, Jewels and (updated) Xgalaga as be included games? Just a thought.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Puppy 4 DINGO

#144 Post by BarryK »

Scoticus wrote:Barry

Yes
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Gtkam Started and NOW Fails!

#145 Post by BarryK »

Fishy wrote:Up unil now no problems encountered, but, gtkam has an issue. Starts, finds camera (Canon A520), shows thumbnails but crashes on save. The ridiculous thing is that it saved half the pictures the initial time before becoming petulant. Now it just shuts down when asked to save!

I have removed camera from Gtkam, rescanned camera, rebooted etc, but, no joy. :cry:

Dingo is fast and and very well behaved otherwise. :D
Yeah, I reckon the developers need a shake up. Gtkam is still very flakey, crashes too easily.
I also have to start from scratch each time that I want to save a image. What I do is delete /root/.gphoto (I think that's what it's called), then Gtkam works -- but only once -- after that it crashes -- its the kind of bug that I'm sure they could fix with a little effort.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Experience with Puppy Linux 4.0 Dingo so far

#146 Post by BarryK »

metre9dmt wrote:First of all, I would like to thank Barry Kauler and the rest of the Puppy Linux Development Team for making the 4th iteration of Puppy Linux with numerous advancement. Congratulations. I tested the two Dingoes (2.6.21.7 and 2.6.25) in both desktop and laptop units for several. Here are my experience for both Dingoes.

In the desktop unit (2.66 Ghz Intel Celeron (Netburst), 1.0 Gb RAM DDR, 180 GB hard drive, asrock motherboard w/ built-in sound, video & Ethernet ports, Nvidia GeForce FX5500 w/ 256 MB Ram, DVD/CD combo drive), both Dingoes booted seamlessly. In the sound department, 2.6.21.7 Dingo the sound was not turned on. When I tried to use the sound setup, I've noticed several error messages regarding unavailability of certain ALSA files.

The 2.6.25 Dingo worked seamlessly with the sound card working properly. But when I tried to setup the sound card, I received similar error messages regarding missing ALSA files.

In the notebook unit (ECS-D25, 1.66 Ghz Intel Core Solo T1300 processor, 1.5 GB RAM, 80 Gb hard drive, DVD RW drive, 14.1" LCD monitor. ATI Radeon 200M Express chipset), 2.6.21.7 Dingo booted okay but has similar problems with that of the desktop . The battery meter icon was not present at the task bar.

With the 2.6.25 Dingo, the sound and battery meter icons appeared at the task bar. No sound was heard. When I tried to setup the sound card, I got similar problems as that of 2.6.21.7 Dingo.

On the software application side, I wished that the latest AbiWord and Gnumeric were initially included in the final cut. Is there a presentation program that can be included with these GNOME apps? Barry should let Inklite go and just include the latest version of Inkscape. The games included is no longer 'fun' as compared before. Can Frozen Bubble, Jewels and (updated) Xgalaga as be included games? Just a thought.
The latest Abiword and Gnumeric will be in the next Puppy, maybe a new game too!

alienjeff

#147 Post by alienjeff »

cf13 wrote:Is there anyway to not load freememapplet and xload? I tried with xinitrc, but with no results.
Try editing /root/.jwrmc-tray
Then in a console type: jwm -p to check your mods
Then restart jwm
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

Scoticus

Puppy 4 DINGO

#148 Post by Scoticus »

Many thanks HairyWill and BarryK for your replies.

Being able to save SFS files in this way is a very big improvement and I will be downloading both Dingo and my preferred sfs shortly.

Once again thanks to you both for the good news

gerry

#149 Post by gerry »

PRINTING PROBLEM as usual.
Dingo 4.00, live cd, Intel Celeron 600MHz, 256MB RAM.

Many of you will have read my adventures in trying to get my Canon i965 printer to work on Puppy. It is not supported by Gutenprint, so I install the driver from Canon.

I use Puppy 214R, and 301. Some apps print, some don't- it seems to come down to does the app give me a choice of either my printer or default printer when I click File> Print.

In Dingo Alpha 6, I found that I could print from Abiword for the first time in Puppy. In Puppy 4.00 I can't print anything at all, not even the CUPS test page, which in other Puppies is the one thing that always prints.

What's changed between Alpha 6 and release? Kernel? Some vital lib deleted?

Footnote: printing works perfectly in Debian Etch, with the same driver. One odd thing is that in Etch I can open a terminal and type "ldd drivername" and get a list of the libs that it uses. In all Puppies that just gets a terminal message saying "Not a dynamic executable". I've checked permissions, and it's not that.

Gerry

disciple

#150 Post by disciple »

Someone else may have reported this, but in a frugal install Hotpup was working perfectly, until I switched to "fast boot". Now it automounts all my drives, but only the first few icons appear on the pinboard.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

eccentric

DINGO 4

#151 Post by eccentric »

Barry Sir,
Sorry to say i cannot get on line with the new PPPOE, I had to import the old one to write this to you, what you do not ask in the new one is the question " options " the default is synchronous but i have to un tick this box to become asynchronous as this is the only way i can get on line with my ISP, i have to enter every thing manualy ( static ).
I do not know how the other PPPoE users get on line.

Thank you for the Distribution. Michael.

CHLee

#152 Post by CHLee »

Barry, you post in your blog : http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=00074
>GeoW,
>the recognized values for pmedia are:
>#kernel with /proc/ide...
>#pmedia= >usbflash|usbhd|usbcd|ideflash|idehd|idecd|idezip|satahd|satacd|scsihd|scsicd|cd
>#kernel without /proc/ide (libata PATA)...
>#pmedia= >usbflash|usbhd|usbcd|ataflash|atahd|atacd|atazip|scsihd|scsicd|cd
>For the .25 kernel, it's that last line, however if I recall rightly the 'init' boot
>script is supposed to still handle the old names ok.

I did manually frugal install to one of internal SSD hard disk(eeePC 900 linux). I try pmedia=ideflash and ataflash, both not work. I found that puppy was run in PUPMODE=12(I checked the file /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE).
I tested the 3.01, 4.00-k2.6.25 and 4.00-k2.6.21, the result were same.
When I used SD card to boot with pmedia=usbflash, it work fine, PUPMODE=13.
I saw you web page about "How Puppy works", you have a remark in the ideflash) " Note, may require boot param "ide=nodma" " , I have add this when boot(in extlinux). the result was same -- PUPMODE=12.

Other things, please add the "Attansic/Atheros L2 Fast Ethernet" driver in next puppy. Many new PC need it, include my new eeePC. Thanks!
http://atl2.sourceforge.net/

Thanks for your new Puppy ! I enjoy it everyday.
CHLee

yorkiesnorkie

#153 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Hi,

My first impression of 4. Its greatly improved overall!

I did a Normal Full Install to ext2, and at first used the Upgrade feature, kernel 2.6.21.7. The upgrade went well, but its easier to just re-install grub than to manually set it. I did really miss Seamonkey Mail though, as opposed to Sylpheed. The upgrade appeared to have removed Seamonkey mail, my mail, addresses etc. Seamonkey Mail had several features such as the spam tool, easy ldif importation, that are better than what I see in Sylpheed.

I pretty quickly realized from looking at the beautiful new live cd 4.0 interface there was no real reason to hang on to 3.01 so I decided to go for the Wipe option and re-install grub this time because there was nothing of real value on my ext2 partition.

The chip inside my anonymous wireless pcmcia card was automatically found via the internet connection wizard as, a realtek rtl8180. T his in itself was a big improvement over trying to figure out what the chip was. I had to click on scan to find our router about three times before it was found, same as previous versions. On the whole I found it 100% easier to get successfully connected to the net.

The Petget manager is much improved. The categories and versioning are clearer to see. When I install some apps I'll report what happens.

There's still lots to explore, and it will take me a few days to test my hardware. Can't wait to give the scanner a whirl.

Until later,

Yorkiesnorkie
:-)

p.s. here's some content more or less on the same stuff from a post elsewhere on the site. I've moved that content here since this area is more appropriate.
Hi,

I've been running puppy since 2.15CE, and was currently running 3.01 retro. I just installed Puppy 4 last night (full install to ext2, wipe) and I'm really impressed.

The redone interface looks very good, the background was nice too.

What was really cool was the network wizard automatically found my realtek rtl8180 wireless card on its own. Previously I had some grief trying to figure out what card it was due to the fact I had a generic card with no clues offered. The fact that it picked it up automatically was really nice! Scanning for the router, setting it up, etc. was a breeze.

More later!
Hi,

I spent a little while tinkering with Puppy 4 last night at the risk of a spousal intervention.

Mostly with Sylpheed in order to get my mail going. Well, I do miss Seamonkey Mail a little bit (I've got to be honest because I liked the integrated all-in-one package) but Sylpheed is ok, it works. It might grow on me as I get using it.

I use pop3 service "pop.mail.yahoo.ca to get my mail. I had to carefully review my settings in the mail configuration box, and manually set them. In no time I was getting my mail. I had a bit of difficulty figuring out how to use an ldif file to import my address book from seamonkey, my unfamiliarity with Sylpheed, categories, er, ah, well...darn. Seamonkey was better at that, or at least more seamless in that it didn't require my intervention.

I took a look at the new installer. I really like the sorted categories, that's the way to go. Happily, you can also download and install stuff for Puppy 4, 3, and 2. Its all good!

Yorkiesnorkie

Jaybekay

Seamonkey crashes at youtube.com

#154 Post by Jaybekay »

Well, it seems Barry knows about it. I found this quote when searching if the topic had been brought up.
a while ago BarryK wrote:It's an old bug that SeaMonkey crashes under certain circumstances. I can reproduce it in youtube by closing a tab when a video is still running.
After it happened a couple of times, I launched seamonkey in a terminal to get the error message:

Code: Select all

Flash Player: Warning: environment variable G_FILENAME_ENCODING is set and is not UTF-8
The error message comes up every time a tab is closed when a video is playing. But seamonkey only freezes occasionally.

Seems like a pretty big problem with seamonkey considering youtube is the 3rd most visited website on the internets.

r76

Re: Password shown in plain text ?

#155 Post by r76 »

Whelp wrote:using a frugal install of 4.00 final I noticed that the password that I enter when mounting a personal save file (with heavy encryption created with Puppy 3.01 or 3.00) is being shown as plain text, while it was not shown at all with 3.01.
I found this is a problem with my USB stick install, unfortunately my password stays on the screen for ages while the rest of the boot text builds up, which is not good on public computers while travelling! I thought I saw a semi-workaround somewhere, like making a splash screen come up immediately until there is a fix to put the asterisks back. Although having said that I can't find those instructions again - does anyone know how to do this? Thanks