Puppy 4 DINGO

Please post any bugs you have found
Sage

#121 Post by Sage »

Some distros use Sylpheed, some Claws - both are excellent.
Hey, guys - we're incredibly lucky - we aren't American and we don't live in America, so why the h*ll would we want AOL Time Warner and their funny systems. Presumably none of us use those crazy diddy local banks emanating from the USA, either? You know - the ones who sell bad mortgages and bundle worthless SiV financial instruments.
All my American friends have endless grief with AOL, banks and IMAPI, inter alia. I tell the ex-pat ones to dump it and come home, but pride guarantees that their pain will continue. The native-born sons-of-the-free have a more difficult task leaving the sinking ship, but we take all comers here. Puppy users especially welcome....

tempestuous

#122 Post by tempestuous »

IMAP is, of course, not unique to AOL. It's a perfectly sensible method of remote mail storage, and is offered by many ISP's. It suits people who need to check their messages from multiple workstations in different locations.

SirDuncan

#123 Post by SirDuncan »

Well, I just installed Dingo last night. The first thing I always do when setting up a new save file is to install things like Gqview, Firefox, Opera, and IceWM. So I opened up PetGet and, WOW, what a big change! It seems like a serious improvement. I love having things sorted and easy to find.

JWM has been greatly improved, but I still like IceWM a little better (thanks for the package Ttuuxxx!).

As for Opera, I assume that it isn't in the repository because it is not qt4 yet. I'll probably just try the versions of qt3 and Opera from Puppy 3.

One issue I noticed:
The Firefox package in the repository is not regular Firefox. I wouldn't care, except that it won't update. What's up with that?

I've never really used a POPmail client, so I can't say anything about what client is good. The browser, however, I do have an opinion on. Both Firefox and Opera are very strong browsers. Seamonkey has always seemed somewhat lacking, though. It's not as powerful as Firefox, nor as fast as Opera. If I could only use one browser, it would probably be Opera. The problem is that Opera requires qt. That seems to make Firefox the better choice for Puppy. Still, I have no problem installing my preferred browser, so I have no problem with Seamonkey as the default.

Re: AOL problems
People still use AOL? Talk about masochism.

To sum up the main point, Dingo seems far more stable than other early series releases based upon my short use and it definitely seems like a good release. Congrats Barry!
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

jonyo

#124 Post by jonyo »

SirDuncan wrote:As for Opera, I assume that it isn't in the repository because it is not qt4 yet. I'll probably just try the versions of qt3 and Opera from Puppy 3.
You could try the latest slackware package ( I extract to usr/lib) from the official site & I'm using qt3 from the 3xx series.

And yes, I still use aol.

(Edit - I might have used the Opera 9.27 pet from the Canuck site ..forget.)

pop-pop

video problem with Dell laptop

#125 Post by pop-pop »

My Dell laptop with an Intel 82845 video chip has worked fine with recent Puppy versions using the i810 driver selected by the wizard. The only video that works on this machine with Puppy 4.0 is xvesa and then only at 640x480x16 which is basically unusable.

The Xorg video wizard selects the intel driver which fails in all modes. The problem appears to be that the i810 driver (/usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/i810_drv.so) is simply a symbolic link to intel_drv.so.

Barry, could a "real" i810_drv.so driver be included with the next Puppy update?

paulh177

#126 Post by paulh177 »

Full HD install, k2.6.21.7
After checking both the "fast boot" options in Puppy Setup/Configure Startup, the boot sequence then always displays (after the fast boot messages)

Code: Select all

cat /tmp/oldmousedevice: No such file or directory
This appears to be a purely cosmetic problem.

paul

Wosh

xfdiff-cut: Different Files displayed identical

#127 Post by Wosh »

Test from a console in Puppy Linux 4.00, frugal installation, pup_save.2fs not created yet:

1. xfdiff .jwmrc .jwmrc-tray
Result: xfdiff-cut displays the differences of these to files.

2. Shutdown computer, creating pup_save.2fs, reboot.

3. Same test:
xfdiff .jwmrc .jwmrc-tray
Result: xfdiff> *** Files are identical

The console displays this warning:
** (xfdiff:4042): WARNING **: shm_open(/tmp/xffm.4042): Function not implemented

Very strange!
pup_save.2fs only contains the selected keyboard layout and the screen resolution after the first call of xorgwizard .
Wosh

floborg

#128 Post by floborg »

* The ALSA sound state fix doesn't seem to work for the "CD" level, maybe others. I set it to 0, reboot, and it comes back at the default of 93. Opening sgmixer, though, causes it to reset to 0. This doesn't happen with ALSA mixer, though.

* Noticed that the pupX xset GUI doesn't have a method to change the monitor power off timeout. There appears to be a default since my monitor will turn off after a while.

* The PetGet GUI is just a bit too large to fit on a 800x600 screen.

* Blinky and absvolume use more memory than their equivalents from 3.01. Interestingly enough, xload and freememapplet seem to use less.

* Now running in RAM on a 224MB machine with Xorg. No issues yet, but I run Opera instead of SeaMonkey.
Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick
Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz | 2 GB RAM

jamesbond

#129 Post by jamesbond »

For frugal install, Universal Installer doesn't offer to install grub? At the end of install process, puppy files are copied to puppy400 directory ... but no offer to install grub. And nothing in the menu for grub install either.

PS: The grub-config is still there, running it manually from console will install grub nicely.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

John Doe

#130 Post by John Doe »

report #2 (IBM Thinkpad x21)

booted both kernel versions of dingo final several times each, on a friend's laptop. IBM Thinkpad x21.

3 observations.

1-all known working HW worked great with either kernel.(sound worked in both). i've yet to test pcmcia.

2-the 2.6.25 kernel required use of the power button to turn the machine off. tried booting also with acpi=off with no luck.(seem to recall this was already mentioned here).

3-AJ asked recently for input on memory foot print.

memory usages according to hardinfo off a liveCD boot for each kernel version on the aforementioned laptop are as follows:

2.6.25 = 56megs
2.6.21.7 = 62megs

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: video problem with Dell laptop

#131 Post by BarryK »

pop-pop wrote:My Dell laptop with an Intel 82845 video chip has worked fine with recent Puppy versions using the i810 driver selected by the wizard. The only video that works on this machine with Puppy 4.0 is xvesa and then only at 640x480x16 which is basically unusable.

The Xorg video wizard selects the intel driver which fails in all modes. The problem appears to be that the i810 driver (/usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/i810_drv.so) is simply a symbolic link to intel_drv.so.

Barry, could a "real" i810_drv.so driver be included with the next Puppy update?
Xorg 7.4 is due out this month, so I am considering it for Puppy 4.1.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

pop-pop

video problem with Dell laptop

#132 Post by pop-pop »

I assumed that the greatly reduced number of Xorg drivers and the single symlink for i810 was something you had done to reduce the size of Puppy 4. Wrong assumption?

geneven

Good Firefox

#133 Post by geneven »

I found an excellent Puppy-friendly version of Firefox 3 Beta 5. I believe that it was from the person who created Wolf Pup. It works great for me in Dingo. As I recall (I'm in ugh, Windows at the moment), it even has java already implemented.

joopyhellspawn

#134 Post by joopyhellspawn »

I booted Dingo today and was greatly disappointed when I could not get wireless working. I went through every module listed and nothing. So I booted it up in my other laptop and same thing. It worked in every other Puppy I run. I didn't check out any other parts of Dingo as wireless very impostant to me and spent 2 housp tqying to het it working

kirk

#135 Post by kirk »

Xorg 7.4 is due out this month, so I am considering it for Puppy 4.1.
Cool! I was going to do that. The ATI drivers for my card have had a lot of work for 7.4. Building Xorg and Mesa is something that T2 makes a lot easier.

jonyo

#136 Post by jonyo »

joopyhellspawn wrote:It worked in every other Puppy I run
What driver worked before?

Scoticus

Puppy 4 DINGO

#137 Post by Scoticus »

Barry

Can you please advise if SFS files can be saved on a multisession DVD ?

cf13

#138 Post by cf13 »

Full hard drive install,

I get a message when booting,

line 124 /bin/mount read only file system,or something like that, and another error with /etc/fstab, I add a few lines to fstab, the ones I had in puppy 3 with no problem.

I don't know if this is related to the fact that I can't mount iso files, I had this problem with 3.0, but I was having hd badblock errors, but now I get this error with losetup,

losetup: : No such device or address.

Pupget freezes when trying to remove an appl. and I second that the pupget gui is very big with 800x600 resolution, but it's not the only appl.

Are reiserfs filsystem supported by puppy? Cause I wanted to change to a journaling file system, and I couldn't with gparted, just ext3.

Is there anyway to not load freememapplet and xload? I tried with xinitrc, but with no results.

As others have said, jwm look a lot of better.

Thanks a lot for the hard work.

Kal

gparted and reiserfs

#139 Post by Kal »

cf13 :

I think you will find that your reiserfs will work in gparted, once "reiserfsprogs-3.6.19-1.files" is installed from the package manager.

Good Luck, Kal

zygo

boot param to make puppy ignore my sata hdd

#140 Post by zygo »

Barry,

Can you please add the facility to tell the kernel to ignore a drive eg 'puppy sda=none' as implied at http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/BootPrompt-HOWTO-7.html